1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wax from Downtown to Airport pickup locations and tickets

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by McGoo, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I know the WAX topic comes up alot, but I am looking for some clarification as this is the first time I will be using the bus to get back to the airport.

When I buy my initial ticket from the airport to downtown, can I also purchase my return ticket? or are they only good for 24 hours after purchase?

Where downtown is the pickup for the WAX southbound to the airport? is it the stop beside binions just off Fremont?

Thanks for your help.

2. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont purchase a ticket at all at the airport, I just walk into the bus and pay cash, so I dont know if you can purchase two tickets or not, the downtown pickup is right outside binions, across from the fermont. I love the wax, quick and easy and saves the $30 + cab fare.

I suggest you find the pickup place ahead of time, just to put your mind at ease for the return trip.

3. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are no WAX tickets so far as I know. Unless you're buying a pass for other purposes, it's two dollars cash each way on the bus. (As I recall, one dollar for seniors.)

I took the WAX from downtown to the airport at the end of my trip last week since my ride left early. The pickup spot is indeed outside Binion's on the side that's across the street from Fremont. Cheap, easy, and quick.

4. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All of the above is correct.

To qualify for the senior discount, you have to have an ID issued by the Regional Transit Commission.

I got mine at the Bonneville Transit Center about a year ago.

Therefore, when I board the the WAX at McCarran, I show my card & pay $1 cash -- not $2.

However, I do not think that you can just flash your driver's license & get the discount.

I have even seen passengers board the WAX & pay with coins.

I've never gotten onto a WAX that was uncomfortably crowded.

WAX schedules are available online, and at each stop.

They run approximately once per hour -- but not 24 hours per day.

www.rtcsnv.com

5. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All of the above is correct.

To qualify for the senior discount, you have to have an ID issued by the Regional Transit Commission.

I got mine at the Bonneville Transit Center about a year ago.

Therefore, when I board the the WAX at McCarran, I show my card & pay $1 cash -- not $2.

However, I do not think that you can just flash your driver's license & get the discount.

I have even seen passengers board the WAX & pay with coins.

I've never gotten onto a WAX that was uncomfortably crowded.

WAX schedules are available online, and at each stop.

They run approximately once per hour -- but not 24 hours per day.

www.rtcsnv.com

6. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. McGoo

McGoo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the help, I did find on the RTC website where it said you can buy a single ride for cash on the bus for $2.

Thanks again

8. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! Cool You Tube! It was right on.

I don't know why, but but the TVM at the airport does not take cash.

I am pretty sure that the TVM by Binion's takes either cash or credit cards.

However, just keep $2 in cash on you when you walk off the plane & you'll be okay.

Not to confuse you, but the SDX ( Strip Downtown Express ) does not accept payment as you board the bus. You must buy a pass from the TVM prior to boarding.

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pay with quarters, I have a ton of them after a weekend in vegas.

I dont think you can buy a single ride pass out of them machines, if you do buy one of the all day or multi day passes, you will be overpaying.

10. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a rental car booked, but we might be changing plans a bit. I think I understand the WAX from the airport to downtown...but what about from downtown to Bally's (where we will be spending our other nights)?

Is it the WAX or a different bus? Can that bus accommodate luggage (checked luggage size)?

Thanks!

11. CujoQuarrel

CujoQuarrel Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I read it right the WAX stops at strip at Tropicana only so it'd be a bit of a hike to Ballys.

12. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't see this on the website

Can we purchase a $5.00 24-hour pass from the Wax bus driver at the airport or must we buy from a machine (somewhere outside?) first?

13. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can buy a 24 hour pass from the WAX operator but the WAX is a residential bus he sells residential pases....not good for the Strip buses unless you have a local NV ID as well. It gets very confusing and bus rules often contradict themselves. I usually have an all access pass purchased in advance of my trip and validate it as I board. If not, cash is just a lot easier.

I have purchased tickets from the BTC, Walgreens, machines and on buses and cannot see the difference on the ticket. How do they know if it is all access or residential; I don't know. I bought a 3 day pass from someone here online and it didn't say 3 day on it but when I validated it it was stamped on. I have bought a 24 hour pass on the WAX and asked if I could use it on the Strip and was told yes. I swipe my all access pass and seldom use my reduced fare card and have never been asked. I asked about my reduced fare care with residential pass and driver looked at my Reduced fare card and said they were identical to local reduced fare cares since they have no address. I don't want to open a can of worms but I don't think the bus drivers give a hoot. I always have an All Access pass and always carry my Reduced fare card, however. Every year I purchase the latest addition of the bus book wth routes and a pocket guide. It costs a buck and is a handy reference. They come out in sept. Passes are avaialble at the BTC, Albertsons and Walgreen's downtown where the buses stop on 4th st. Reduced Fare Cards are good for 5 years and take about 10 minutes to obtain (free) at the Bonneville Transfer Center during business hours.

Dewey has a bus blog here and usually updates witht he latest changes as they occur. The WAX is baggage friendly and I have never seen it really acked though usage is increasing as the word gets out. That pleases me since if it has regular ridership, it is more likely to remain. Imaagine 28 minutes to downtown for a buck with luggage. It doesn't bet much better than that! It is also handy and nice to zip down the the BTC, NYNY or nearby hotels.

I still have a 3 day and a 5 day all access pass so I am all set for next year; after that I will probably buy the 15 day pass for my longer trade show stay. They are not listed as All Access but RTC has acknowledged that they are (see Dewey"s blog). Vacationers are smart to go to the RTC website and copy schedules for the WAX, Deuce and SDX. Being familiar with them can save you lots of time and cash!

Jimbo338

14. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A 24 hour WAX (residential) pass is exactly what we need as we'll be riding from the airport and making two round trips downtown within 24 hours. We'll certainly get our money's worth.

Thanks, Jimbo.

15. crapsguy5000

crapsguy5000 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WAX to Orleans

I'll be staying at The Orleans and am thinking about taking the WAX to NYNY and then changing to the 201 residential bus. Would I have a problem with one mid-size cheked bag on the 201? I've heard that the residential buses do not let you bring luggage on them.
    Also, would it be the 201A or 201B to Orleans? I think both go each direction but just want to make sure.

16. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done exactly what you mentioned – WAX to NYNY and then the 201 to Orleans. ($1.50 for a 2-hour pass with the senior discount is hard to beat.) You probably heard that luggage was "discouraged" on the Deuce or SDX, where space is usually at a premium. There's no problem taking it onboard "residential" busses, although you may be a bit uncomfortable depending on seating. It's a short trip, in any case. The 201A or B makes no difference to the Orleans and only pertains to certain stops at certain times.

17. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have ridden on many of the residential buses and often see people with their groceries in those fold up carts board. I have never seen anyone denied entry, spoken to or anything like that. They simply sit with the cart in front of them or stand alongside it on the bus. It is, I think, more intrusive than a piece of luggage which I have also seen with no problems. During busy times it could become awkward but that's life in the big city! I don't think you will have any problems at all. I too, the 206 on sunday and some guy got on with a boxed microwave. It was no problem.

Jimbo338

18. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it still a big mad rush to get on the bus at stops on the strip (Duece)? A few years ago when we took the bus it seemed like mob rules for who got on the bus...I didn't care for that.

There were always more people waiting than there was space on the bus.

19. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Deuce is better than the old one story buses....they hold more people, however it is still a zoo during commuting times and in the evenings. The residential buses are not as bad and you can often get where you are going by using the SDX or WAX with a local bus if you get a pocket map or copy some route maps at the RTC website to plan your journey.

Jimbo338

20. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great advice. I always bring RTC printouts for the bus routes I'm likely to use. That's particularly important for the WAX, which often runs only once an hour. With a little planning, waiting can be kept to a minimum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.