1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Austin, Texas

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mesa, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mesa

mesa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are going to be in Austin in May on a road trip, looking for any input on best areas to stay , will be there for 2-3 nights. Thanks for your help
    mike

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ooh - good call - I have to be in May for business and had planned to ask at some point of places I should try to go or eat before my work starts - can I tag along on your thread??:thumbsup:

3. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is an Aloft hotel that is very nice and reasonable.

4. Blatz

Blatz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My suggestion would be any hotel where you are fairly close to the 6th street District downtown. That area runs on 6th street from Red River down to Lamar. There is so much great live music every night of the week that you'll want to be close to the action so you can wander up and down 6th listening to music.

I know there's a W Hotel and a Four Seasons in the area, which are obviously great places to stay.

I don't know too much about hotels, but if you need any eating or drinking suggestions, I'm more than happy to help!

5. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are looking to enjoy the nightlife I second staying downtown. Any of the hotels like the Driskill or Omni would be ideal. Th Four Seasons and Radisson are also fairly nice. Just walking along 6th street you'll find lots of fun music bars.

6. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at the Doubletree during SXSW a couple years ago; it was horribly overpriced (as is every hotel during SXSW), but reasonable compared to the other options, and a nice hotel. I liked that it was close to Sixth Street and the SXSW venues, but still removed from the craziness.

7. texdan17

texdan17 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I personally can't stand Austin...but that's because my brother lives there. BUT, I have to go there at least once a month for the job... I try to avoid the metro part of Austin and all of downtown and prefer to stay in Lakeway at the Lakeway Resort ...it's about a 30-40 minute easy drive into town. I always get a big room with a balcony facing the lake. Nice pool area and good spa. Free beer/wine happy hour every night with a patio overlooking the lake. The drive can be treacherous, esp at night, since you are in the Hill Country, but I enjoy the Lakeway/Bee Cave area much more than Austin proper. And if you want to go into town, it's not that far.

8. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We like the Driskill, and also enjoy the Hyatt and Four Seasons (the latter two are on Town Lake). You may want to check the hotels shown on www.6thstreethotels.com for competitive prices.
    Enjoy Austin!

9. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AHH! Austin where the motto is Keep It Weird. Threadgill's and the Food Truck Park are stops we make and watching the bats under the bridge.

Sema Show
  10. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good place for draft craft beer, within walking distance of Hyatt Regency? So, South Congress area or along Barton Springs or 6th street/Downtown districts I guess?:peace:

I'm going for work, my husband is tagging along...Have to keep him happy:beer:

11. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go to Threadgill's and have a chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken. Ask Eddie the owner about being offered a trade with an artist at the Armadillo W-HQ adding another night for the famous enchilada's found in the beer garten. Ha ha. That was back when Lone Star WAS the draft of choice.

12. KellyLovesVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:

We aren't beer drinkers, but some of our friends who live in Austin recommend this place for craft beers:

http://http://aus.gingermanpub.com/

I hope you both enjoy your visit to Austin :)

13. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have Ginger Man on my Google Map - nice to have a secondary recommendation :thumbsup:

14. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want a great restaurant, you could go here:

http://austinbakehouse.com/

It's in south Austin. Open 7am - midnight.
    I am extremely prejudiced towards it though.

15. Max2589

Max2589 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go for the Sheraton. Walking distance to sixth street but more importantly its walking distance to Franklins BBQ.

16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm attending a conference at the Hyatt, so that's where we're staying:peace: And we won't have a rental car (They're crazy expensive - sorry, I'm not spending $450 for a budget car for 5 days:Þ)

17. KellyLovesVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lucky you! By staying at the Hyatt, you have prime viewing for the nightly exit of 1.5M bats from the Congress Avenue bridge. It sounds bizarre, but it is an awesome sight. You can either sit along the banks of Town Lake, or just sit at one of the patio tables at the Hyatt (position yourself at a table on the right side (East side) of the patio for the best viewing of the bats as they come out from the bridge. A waitperson will be there to take your order for food and/or wicked margaritas. I suggest the margaritas :wink2:

I can't get the YouTube link to post properly, but if you Google "Congress Avenue Bridge Bats", it will pop up.

http://www.batcon.org/index.php/get-involved/visit-a-bat-location/congress-avenue-bridge.html

Enjoy your visit to Austin!

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  18. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, we're very excited about the bats - I love bats:peace:

19. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a FABULOUS time in Austin (even work went well) The Hyatt location was great - so easy to walk anywhere or get a bus ($2 for a 24 hour bus pass!) We drank TONS of great beer (didn't hurt we were in town for Craft Beer Week:beer:) ate really good food, listened to music, saw the bats, etc. One of my favorite trips in a really long time.:thumbsup:

20. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't move here!

:evillaugh

I keed I keed.

( i think)

Anybody watch "The Office" final show last night? Apparently some of them are moving to Austin. It made me laugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.