1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA, my most uncomfortable flight yet

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Jimbo338, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A while back I read that SWA was introducing new seats that were smaller but more comfortable, and that they would allow 20 more seats on the plane for greater revenue. I think I flew one saturday. It was a new plane. I was up all night working and so was pretty tired. I carried my laptop in a briefcase and my carryon so no checked baggage. I put my carryone in the overhead and the laptop under the seat. I got an aisle seat and boy was I uncomfortable.I could hardly stand it, stretching as much as I could and standing up a few times as well as a trip to the john in the back. Fortunately the flight from Manhester to Denver arrived 45 minutes ahead of schedule. 2/3 of passengers got off in Denver so I moved my stuff to an Exit seat which was much more comfortable. i also put both bags in the upper lockers leaving the room for my feet. They allowed us off the plane so I did a little walking and felt better. Flight ot LV was only another 90 minutes or so.

Has anyone else noticed a change in legroom? This was SWA's new 737, 700 series.

Jimbo338

2. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't fly much, but yikes that makes me not want to fly. Why does airline travel have to be so horrible.

3. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because nobody wants to pay what it really costs to fly.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did end up on one of the new 737-700 SWA planes but must admit I didn't notice a difference in comfort or seat size. Our flight was 3.75 hrs.

Ever since we bought a cheap DVD player & audio amplifier/splitter, the time on the flight is quite acceptable. I have a laptop but if the person ahead reclines, it pushes the laptop into my gut, so the 10" player is perfect.
    EDIT: I'm 6'2 and 215#

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  5. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown on the new planes a couple of times. I didn't notice.
    Edited to say I'm 6'2", 220.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm right at 6' tall and feel no comfort issues on the new SWA planes.

7. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps it was being overtired but I have flown before with very little sleep without problems....certainly my legs are the same size!

Jimbo338

8. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol, unsuspected growing pains! You know, sometimes I have a hard time getting comfortable on car rides just randomly out of no where. Sometimes I'll do 5-6 hour commutes no problem, other times I will take a 30 minute drive and feel like I'm squirming around and I drive a fairly large truck - 2013 F150 4 door. Maybe just one of those type deals for you for that trip.

9. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been on the new SW planes from Cols Oh to Las Vegas many times. No major complaints here. I bring my MacBook and watch a movie; plus read magazines, Kindle to pass the time.

Don't know why, but I'm much more comfortable with a window seat on the right side of the plane.

10. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Read the other day that Alaska Airlines is changing out 3/4 of their fleets seats to ones with thinner backs, also moving the magazine pouch to the top.

Said on the 737-700 they can get an extra row in this way and on the 737-900 they can get an extra 2 rows in. All while keeping the same legroom??

I'm wondering where they're getting all these seats at. Boeing is at an all time high for delivery rates for all their airplane programs. 737's are at 38/month. That's an awful lot of seats to make.

11. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's the real truth. people complain because 20 years ago they used to only pay $250 RT and now it's $400. OMG! the truth is that with all the rising costs, it should be at least twice that much. so they've cut back on service/comfort in order to keep the prices where people expect them. there's a reason why airlines like Spirit have full flights.

12. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No problems here. 6ft 200 lbs. I liked the new plane.

13. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keyser, my husband is the same way...window rt side. I have to have an aisle seat, makes me feel like I have more room on the aisle. I gave up the center seat years ago. We always seem to have the older planes for our trips, small airport maybe thats why.

14. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $400? Pffft... I paid $271 for the same flight that was $250 20 years ago!

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  15. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coach on Eastern (late 70s / early 80s) from Chicago to Orlando was more expensive than all but one of forty flights to Vegas ($561 was my sole RT flight over $400 - most are in the free on miles/voucher - $350 RT range).

$400 in 1979 dollars = $1,250 today.

Granted, deregulation lowered government mandated fares, but airfare is still a great deal, dispite added discomfort, circa 2013.

16. justvisiting

justvisiting Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never have problems with leg room, always knew that someday I would find an avantage in only being 5'2.:poke::poke:

17. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are brand new 737s and there are retooled 737s. The brand new ones have the Dreamliner ceiling, and LCD panel for the FAs to use mounted in the front of the cabin and the carry on bins tilt up. I found the brand new 737s to be pretty comfy compared to the older planes. The retooled ones did seem more cramped but not horribly so. But that is coming from someone who is 5' 4" and who's concern is more about the seat area more than legroom.

18. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew on them once or twice. Did not notice any comfort issues, but I was 5'11 170lbs then. We'll see in two weeks if I notice a difference :)

19. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gee, yeah, Spirit is such a bargain with their $100.00 carry-on baggage fees....I'm trying not to bust a gut from laughing......

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/spirit-airlines-100-carry-bag-fee-takes-effect/story?id=17645238#.UYmDTLWG18F

20. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because i didn't want to lose my money on my cancelled trrip in January, I made this just a long weekend trip and decided to try no checked bags to save time. My last minute packing really sucked this time. I figured I had just a bit too much stuff for my carry on, but with time to leave coming soon, I couldn't find any of my smaller suitcases. Walked around them for 2 years in an empty apt but rented it and I think they maybe buried in the barn. I looked but couldn't find either. Fortunately, my laptop bag is large and could hold a few extra things.

I picked out about a dozen DVD's that sounded good but my battery is bad on the laptop so I grabbed my DVD player which I haven used in a couple of years. I have an extra battery for it too, but couldn't find the charger. I grabbed a universal one but it didn't charge them enough. It was nice to skip the check in. I put the carry on in the bin and the laptop under the seat. That took up enough room and was probably my problem. when we landed in Denver I switched to an Exit seat and put the laptop in the overhead bin as well and there was plenty of room.

Before they started a non-stop from Manchester, I took a direct flight which made one stop. It seemed like forever. While it was nice not to have to worry about changing planes and getting a seat, stretching in the ailes just isn't as satisfying as walking up the ramp and getting the old heart pumping. I swore I wouldn't do that again. Well, the non-stop was great but lasted until SWA moved into Logan in Boston. I avoid Denver in the winter.....too risky in snow season but it was the best flight for me this time considering in air time, arrival time and cost. Even though I had EBCI, I got A56 and got an aisle seat and switched when we arrived in Denver. We flew 3.5 hrs and were 45 minutes early! They let us off the plane. It was geat, had half an hour to walk around, get something to eat and use a REAL bathroom!
    Returning today, I got A46 and took the middle seat in the Exit seat. The lady in the aisle was pissed; I guess she didn't want anyone to sit in the middle seat so she'd be more comfortable. She asked why I would want the middle seat when there were two aisle seats. I sat there and she didn't say anything, look at me or move her arms off the armrests so I could share. Fortunately, she got off in Denver and I took the aisle seat the rest of the way. We were 15 minutes early and they let us off the plane again! I asked the attendent, and he said the Denver stop is probably padded timewise due to weather in the winter. I thought it was great. I still prefer one of the two morning flights tho, they both put you in LV before noon!

Jimbo338

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.