What is the $20 Trick & how do you do it?

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Jun 25, 2007.

1. kcfdmaddog

kcfdmaddog Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny you say that. There is a website frontdesktip.com that does exactly that. Tells you what percent of people that have gotten the upgrade.

2. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To the people who ask "is it worth it" or "should I try", here's a question for you:

What is the number 1 thing that is legal in Las Vegas, that generally is not legal in most other cities?

A: Gambling

Much like everything, it's a gamble. Try it and find out. Asking if it's worth it, is pointless. Hold the $20 in your hand in plain sight of the desk person, and ask for the upgrade. If they can't or refuse, put it in your pocket. Done deal

3. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *pinches bridge of nose and sighs*

OK. I give up.

Here...here are the odds.

http://www.frontdesktip.com/

4. Vegabound

Vegabound Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I Love that reply!!:nworthy: Just do it.. i know it's all over this thread.. I will.. 1st gamble of the trip...and I actually should get my money back if it fails...

5. bloom1966

bloom1966 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't posted to this board very often (since joining in late 2009) but I have to give my three cents worth of ideology regarding this subject.

Money is nice, but it dosen't get what you want ALL the time. Sometimes a nice smile, or an unexpected compliment to a hotel clerk will get you (some of) what you would like----with no currency involved.

I'm sure many clerks have been schmoozed for free upgrades or other attempts for freebies, and they see right through the soap bubbles guests have blown at them. They're not dumb, nor do they have the power to upgrade you from a "bottom level" room to a suite without explaining to management how that could or would have been appropriate.

You get what you pay for, or what you have coming in comps. If you do get a "small" upgrade at no cost to you, feel very lucky and appreciative of that. It won't happen all the time. Upgrading to a strip-view room at no cost is probable but not guaranteed. Upgrading to a room that would cost an extra 300 bucks for a 5-night stay (at no cost) is not likely, so don't expect it or feel slighted if your "$20 trick" gets you nothing.

There's my three cents. :soapbox:

6. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of these days I'd like to try bribing with food to see what that yields. I made some cookies before my most recent trip and contemplated placing some in a Ziploc to hand to the person at the desk. I ended up not doing it, but I imagine it'd be different. Plus, I make darn good cookies!

7. bloom1966

bloom1966 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Them thar cookies better be like the ones on "That 70's Show"...
    special cookies made with a special ingredient...and it isn't "love"!:rolleyes2:

8. Bur2Las

Bur2Las Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is 100% correct, which is why hotel management would rather the clerks actually upsell than giving away upgrades and pocketing $20 or $50.

Incidentally, $30 to upgrade is about right at check-in; there would have been a $50-$60 price difference had you booked a panoramic room. Anyway, it was money well spent, I hoped you enjoyed your stay.

9. mongo380

mongo380 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is what I suspected. Thanks for confirming. I actually went in with low expectations and did it as more of an experiment.

10. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a pretty bold statement. :peace:

I would bet they more so get in trouble for taking what can appear to bribes, as opposed to at least first trying to upsell. How do you know they get compensated?

As for the upsell, that's standard. Any hotel you go to, if you ask for better room, they will offer another rate. When I got shot down on a comp upgrade at Flamingo, they offered it to me at $35nt more, and I declined. That is the price I would have paid for it online, so no savings.

Wish we knew someone on the board that worked front desk that could actually give us a low down of how it works, so we aren't constantly speculating. The front desk people aren't "sales", they have very little incentive to upsell (otherwise they would offer it to EVERYONE on check in, not just the people who ask for upgrades). Think if you were in their shoes, and you got more money for upsells. You'd ask everyone.

11. Bur2Las

Bur2Las Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it is bold...and I stand by it. :D

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that front desk people *are* salespeople and if the inventory is available, they are supposed to try to upsell (at many places). Maybe, though, only the more senior clerks have that responsibility, since yes, they are compensated for it.

I also wonder, though, why there aren't more hotel employees chiming in on threads like these; but I haven't read all 52 pages!

12. Commodore69

Commodore69 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experiences, thoughts & $0.02:

1. :nono:I know it's been said before, but I really caution people to keep it at $20. Resist the urge to put down that $50 or $100. Unless you've got some crazy request or 2 week stay you're looking to upgrade, keep it at $20!! This really is a case of "you could be ruining it for everyone" if in a year or two $40 or $50 becomes the norm. Why force inflation on a perfectly working system? $20 is completely reasonable and is a known standard. Think of all the other twenties that clerk is getting throughout the day - 3, 4, 5, 10? It adds up - so I'm sure they are doing what they can for that base +20. Ok - enough of that.<br>
      <p>
    2. These guys n' gals know the deal. No reason to get all James Bond-y or shaky or weird. Just follow the script. They will help you if they can & won't if they can't. Ask if any complimentary upgrades are available when offering the sandwich.<br>
      <p>
    3. Bally's: Did this once & it worked. Ask for the North Tower. ANY room in the North Tower is a bonus. The Jr. Suite is pretty nice. My $20 got me this even coming in with 3 comped nites. Maybe the ST is better now, this was a few years ago...<br>
      <p>
    4. Aria: Love this place :nworthy:, but haven't been able to upgrade to Corner Suite after two attempts (3rd coming in 30 days). They have been open to the $20 & I did receive a better room placement/view, but both times the suites have been sold out. I've asked to pay extra, just to check (& also would have paid to upgrade), but they were legitimately sold out. Both times they clearly went into search mode to find me a better room in the same class after the $20 was proffered. Also, they put it in plain view both times leading me to believe it's a pretty open secret now that is dealt with in different ways at different properties.<br>
      <p>
    5. One variant on this that I've tried the last couple of times I've been to LV is to hit up the night/early AM staff my last night there (usually drunkenly) & do the $20 offer for a late check out. Both times I've done it, I've gotten a 2 or 3 PM CO - maybe later. Can't exactly remember, but I know it was well worth being able to take my time to get moving the last day. Could hit the pool & come back to the room without having to get up at 7AM.
    <br>
    <p>
    --Commodore69

13. Thadeus

Thadeus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My skepticism with this whole trick, you will never know if you could have gotten upgrade without the $20?:peace:

14. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are worried just go down later that evening and get another key :) easy peasy mannnnn

15. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are checking in on a Friday or Satuday, I would say that early is better. Also, mention that you would be happy to wait for a xxx (your choice of room) if it meant waiting for someone to check out and have it cleaned. I have done it before and it seems to give the clerk more options.

If you check in later, they may actually not have the specific room available if volume is high. Just my opinion, for what it is worth.

16. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just read somewhere that maybe later they would have a better idea of no-shows. But I think what you said actually makes more sense.

Yea checking in Saturday out Monday.

I've never done this before, so I'm a little scared. But I guess what's the worst that can happen? They say no haha.

17. Transplant

Transplant Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely give it a shot. Plenty of people have been upgraded even on rooms they got through hotwire or priceline.

18. basicearth

basicearth Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tips per shift

Sheesh ... kinda makes you wonder how many $20 tips they get per shift.

19. Ginc

Ginc Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The $20 Trick Thread

Fantastic info- definitely will try it! :thumbsup:

20. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still waiting to try this, but I mean I'd make sure you know what you want, and that there is an upgrade suitable to your needs. Like if you need 2 double beds nearly none of the suites and any hotel have 2 beds...

Tags: