1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Adding spouse as driver

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Little Red, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Little Red

Little Red Tourist

OK, some have said that in Nevada it is not legal for rental car companies to charge for adding your spouse as a driver. Apparently Alamo does not charge, but Dollar does. Where can I find this law in writing so that I can present it to Dollar when we rent from them? I cannot seem to find it anywhere official.

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alamo charges $10/day for an additional driver (including a spouse) unless you and the additional driver are members of Alamo Insiders. This is from their website; I looked it up just now because I remember they were going to charge us the extra charge the last time we rented a car from them.

4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good luck with that. the low level employees behind the counter have little flexibility and just do what they are told. presenting them a printout of some supposed law is unlikely to get anything done. one time I was at Delta check-in and my bag was 55 lbs. first class can have bags up to 70 lbs each, while coach is limited to 50 lbs. well the guy insisted that it was 50 lbs for first and even after I pulled up the delta.com website on my phone and showed him the printed text, he still insisted that the max was 50 lbs and wouldn't budge. I just went ahead and moved some stuff into another bag because it wasn't worth my time to argue with him. but that's the type of attitude you're likely to find when you present your "evidence".

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not a lawyer, but the way I read the NRS, the legal spouse is automatically an authorized driver, whether or not declared on the rental form. The way I read it, the best thing is to say nothing. If there's an incident, then you can quote chapter and verse of the statute.

YMMV, since IANAL, of course. :) :) :)

6. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Assuming that the spouse is indeed covered, even if not declared as an additional driver, one question arises: will your insurance cover an accident while your spouse is driving, if s/he was not declared as an additional driver?

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to check with your insurance company. I was just reading the terms of my secondary coverage through a credit card and not having a second driver declared can void their coverage. For some of the rental companies, just having the right code or being in their clubs will get you a free second driver. I don't know of a way to do that with Dollar but if that is the company, it may be worthwhile to call the airport location directly to see how they handle spouses in light of state law. If they give you a hard time, I hope that there is a competitively priced alternative out there so you don't have to put up with crap on vacation.

8. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just picked a car up last week at the Vegas car rental center, they asked if anyone else was going to be driving it and I said my wife might be, they said don't worry about it, spouses are included in the rental and didn't need to see her ID.
    That might be a nationwide policy of Alamo? But twice now I've rented from them in Las Vegas and they don't charge.

9. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rented from Dollar last week and "no charge for spouse" was a non-starter. The clerk said that Nevada allows for charging spouses, so Dollar's $10 a day for spouses was allowed by law.

Still don't know if I buy that, so I hung on to my receipt in case someone offers a basis for me to request that refund.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  10. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The way this is worded she's already an authorized driver and doesn't need to be listed.
    http://leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-482.html
    NRS 482.31515  “Authorized driver” defined.  “Authorized driver” means:

1.  The short-term lessee of a passenger car.

2.  The spouse of the short-term lessee, if that person is a licensed driver and satisfies any minimum age requirement of the short-term lessor.

3.  The employer or coworker of the short-term lessee, if the employer or coworker is engaged in business activity with the lessee, is a licensed driver and satisfies any minimum age requirement of the short-term lessor.

4.  Any person listed on a lease by the short-term lessor as an authorized driver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.