1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Renting from Fox

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by kirkz24, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirkz24

kirkz24 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you would like to know a bit more about me and my trip, I did my introduction here
    (https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92328)

So, i have read pages and pages on the forum when it comes to renting cars and if I should Taxi it all week or have a car.

In my own particular trip I would like to see different area's in and around Las Vegas (Hoover Dam, Red Rock, Lake Mead, The Skywalk, etc) so renting a car is my best option.

Now, i have read a few bad reviews of Fox Rent A Center so that discouraged me. Also the fact that you need to take 2 shuttles to get to the Fox Rent A Center.

I would like to rent from Fox because of their vehicle choices. I would either choose the Fiat or Camaro
    (Im leaning more towards Sports Car my wife is leaning more towards the Fiat)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So tell me... is it really THAT much of a pain in the butt to take 2 shuttles? Are they really THAT bad at customer service?
    Im not really choosing them for the price, more for the vehicle choice, i don't feel like driving around in a Sentra or Wave or Corolla, etc...

Give me your opinions! Good or Bad. Should I rent with them or not?

2. Ogxpeiwen

Ogxpeiwen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fox

While I did not rent from Fox Rental in Vegas, I did rent from Fox Rental in LA and drove it to Vegas and returned it there. From my experience, Fox isn't as bad as many said, my car (Chrysler 300) was clean and drove fine. And returning the vehicle in Vegas was a breeze just park, get receipt and get on the shuttle. While taking 2 shuttles doesn't seem that great, it is actually not that bad, just allow yourself about 10 more extra minute to get to the airport. The only knock I have on Fox was that upon arriving in LAX, my car was not ready, I had to wait about half an hour before my car was cleaned and gassed, but I won't complain because I received a clean car. I hope this helped.

PS: If you want to rent from fox rental, go to www.autoeurope.com and see if they have a better price for you. Don't be scared off by the Europe part of the name, you can rent them even if you are in the US, their rates are often better than the rates in US sites for some reason.....

3. Louton25

Louton25 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It all depends on your mindset really.

For me personally, it has never been a problem to rent from Fox.

The two shuttles are a hassle and will take twice as long to get there as the main facility.

You will likely encounter around an hour wait or so in line to get your car. The help typically isn't the greatest, but if you can see past that no problems there.

The last car I got from Fox reeked of weed, so the lot help is obviously taking breaks in the cars :)

One thing I'll tell you - my last Vegas trip in March, I rented from Budget in the main facility. They were actually cheaper than Fox and amazing to rent from. If it's only a few bucks, skip Fox - if it's substantially cheaper Fox will do just fine.

4. kirkz24

kirkz24 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for answering!

A quick search on Facebook and you land on a ANTI Fox page where people are just more than happy to complain! :eek:

As mentioned previously, i have read this forum from top to bottom. I heard a few people mention Costco but i never thought to take a look as I am Canadian and thought it was a service for US Members! I was wrong! Costco Canada offers a nice discount on rentals as well!

So any Canadians out there, you might want to take a look at this!

[​IMG]

Looks like Ill be going with Budget, I don't feel like playing Devil's advocate :wink2: and trying Fox for the sure to be one and only time in Vegas.

5. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See, this post and Fox in general is a perfect example of why you have to read between the lines since peopl's sumary opinion on and experience my be different. You said "It has never been a problem to rent from fox" but to me, your review read like this "Two shuttles are a hassle and took twice as long, You'll have to wait an entire freaking hour to get your car, the help sucks and my last care reeked of weed!" - That's a decidedly bad endorsement in my book!

FYI to the OP, most every non-negative review for Fox reads just like that to me which is why I will never rent from them. A bunch of reviews saying "don't do it" combined with a few that say "I don't mind, however this this and this all sucked" all add up to make me say "just say no"

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone else said, I think you have to get into a certain mindset when you rent from fox. yes the 2 shuttles are a pain but mostly just a minor inconvenience.

The problem lies with service. As others have mentioned, you have to have patience and be prepared for an hour or more wait in line and to get processed (could be more or could be less). Because they are a cut rate company also be aware that your car may not be available, you may have to wait in the lot for your car to come in or get prepped.

You also need to understand that just because you are booking an economy car and hope to get a fiat I do not know if that car will be available when you are there, they may give you any other economy car. the fiat may just be hype to get you to rent from them so make sure you are aware that you may get any other economy car available. Same with the camaro, they could give you another car instead if cars are unavailable.

I think many of us do not rent from fox and would rather rent from the other national chains for better service and car availability. I see with dollar, budget and other national chains, when you rent a car, you go out to their lot and get to choose from a variety of available cars in your size. This may not be as prevalent with fox.

as long as you are aware of the situation (and don't have high expectations) and don't mind the possible wait and service and car you should be okay with fox. others do find fox to be okay and rent from them lots of times.

btw, just a warning, if you rent a car using costco and get costco discounts, make sure that you bring along your costco card. I was in vegas in March and budget required you to show your costco card to get the discount. a couple that was being processed didn't have their card and went through a lot of grief trying to rent a car. The budget manager said that there were many people using the costco discounts but don't have costco cards so budget is clamping down on abuse.

7. anonanon

anonanon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm renting a Mustang convertible this weekend in LA from Fox, I hope its a easy transaction! Also I hope the car doesn't smell like weed (unless they share :p) lol

8. kirkz24

kirkz24 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's some awesome advice! Will keep this in mind!

As for Fox.... I don't feel like dealing with the POSSIBLE problems that can arrive!
    Being French Canadian Anglophone, but my wife who has a Thick Heavy French Accent, i can just imagine them trying to pull the wool over our eyes. No thanks!

Ill go with Budget and not take my chances with Fox!

Thank you everyone for your opinions.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

you're welcome kirk. it's hard, when doing searches on kayak and other sites it is so tempting because the fox rates are so much lower. but then I usually check the sites regularly and often times the national chain rates go down. I know that fox can go down even lower but I also would rather rent from the national chains over fox if possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.