1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A few questions about Aria for someone with fear of heights

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Geegee22, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geegee22

Geegee22 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aria looks great in so many ways and the price is right but I'm wondering a few things:

1. Is it generally easy to get a lower level floor (I would be staying on weekdays, not the weekend)

2. Are there corner suites on lower level floors?

3. I'm a bit claustrophobic too - are the halls really that long? I get somehow dizzy in long narrow areas, especially if they're several stories up.

4. Oh and what do you think the chances are that I can upgrade to a corner suite when I arrive? It would be in June - again weeknights, not weekend. Rates are low that week so I'm assuming it's not crowded. Is the upgrade around $50 a night?

Thanks.

2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The lower-level floors are generally the least desirable for most people, so they tend to be what's left after the higher-floor rooms have gone. While I can't speak to the location of the corner suites, having only stayed in the regular rooms, the hallways are indeed fairly long, but also feel a bit more spacious than other Vegas hotels I've been in, given that they curve a bit and intersect with each other.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want a corner suite - book in advance. After all, if they are all sold out, you can not upgrade for even $200. No room - no upgrade.

As to lower level floors - I would think that would not be too hard. Most people prefer to NOT have those. Folks with height issues, or worry about fires and emergency exit tend to pick lower floors.

4. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't help you as far as Aria is concerned, however, as someone who has never had a fear of heights, my life changed in June of 2011 with my stroke. When i went back to Vegas in Nov.2012, i discovered that i couldn't walk out to the balcony at Quad, and i also had trouble walking across the elevated bridges on the Strip. So i had to keep looking down the pavement in the middle and try getting as fast as i could from one side to the other. I'll be at Rio in less than two weeks, i plan on getting a mid level floor and not looking downward. I'm OK with the view, but will be standing far enough from the window to be safe (something i never had experienced before). Obviously, there are many reasons for having a fear of heights (i have never been claustrophobic), so i feel your desire to be concerned. Good luck.
    By the way, the reason why my stroke affected how some things (like heights), is because of my equilibrium. But considering the alternative, i'm OK and will continue to enjoy Vegas the best i can even though i can't do some things (like rock climbing at Red Rock Canyon) :)

5. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1- it's a lot easier to get a room on a lower floor than a higher floor, so you'll be ok there.

2- there are in fact corner suites on the lower-level floors

3- the hallways are very long, and the corner suites are always the rooms furthest from the elevators.

4- the chances of getting an upgrade without being high level with MLife are very, very slim.

the thing is, IMO you only get full value from the corner suites if you're up on a higher floor, otherwise there's not a lot to them, except for the awesome bathroom.
    I also have a pretty significant problem with heights, but the last two times we stayed at Aria, we stayed in the 37th floor in a corner and the 45th in a Sky Suite corner. Both times I got a bit discombobulated for a minute or two when I first looked out the windows, but I got used to it pretty fast and really enjoyed the amazing views.
    but then again, everybody has varying degrees of different phobias.

6. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about Aria, but I would call and have that noted on your reservation. That happened to me once somewhere, I had a friend afraid of elevators and they couldn't do better than the 15th floor. Just incase..

You could maybe try the $20 trick.. but from some searching it doesn't appear too successful at Aria. Also since you have such specific demands as to where your room needs to be I wouldn't bother. You don't want to ask can I have a low floor, close to the elevator, and a upgrade me to a nice suite... it's too much and they probably can't help you. Sometimes hotels ask if you want to upgrade, yea it's usually something like $50 a night.

I don't like heights either, but for some reason I'm ok in hotel rooms.

7. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sounds like you are somewhat conflicted.
    You want an upgrade but don't like long hallways.
    The hallways at Aria are wider than many Vegas hotels but make no mistake,the walk to all the corner suites is long.
    One of the benefits of the corner suites is the view.If you prefer a lower floor you will gain the extra space,which I think is important,but don't gain the view.
    Prior to staying in the Sky Suites I stayed in Panoramic Corner suites several times.I really like the suites and Aria in general.If the walk is an issue,the standard rooms are very nice.

8. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The halls are long, but curved. Not sure if that makes it better or worse, considering your condition

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  9. Geegee22

Geegee22 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all. Very helpful. I think I'll forget the upgrade effort and all the hassles with it given my anxieties, and go with the standard on the lower room so I can relax.

10. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suggest that you inquire about a Junior Suite. It may meet all of your needs here. It was an extra $50/night when we checked in late last November. You'll get extra space, a fridge with an ice maker, and a much larger bathroom. Bonus feature: the Toto Washlet bidet attachment on the throne.

The Junior Suite where we stayed was the closest room to the elevator bank.

11. aperez1988

aperez1988 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Suites

The corner suites are going to be a long walk down the hallway since they are located at the end. I'd suggest you just call them and tell the person your situation, they will accommodate you. Don't wait till you check in, availability might not be in your favor and ull be screwed.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.