1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Transportation advice...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by AcesFull72, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcesFull72

AcesFull72 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are coming to Vegas in June. We are staying downtown at Golden Nugget the 1st two nights then to Flamingo. What is the best way to get from the airport to GN, then from there to Flamingo, then back to the airport at the end of our trip? We will be in Vegas for 8 days so we will have a few suitcases. We have heard the horror stories about the cabs and we are on a budget.

2. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're on a budget the WAX bus works well to go DT from the airport, $2 each, leaves hourly, takes about 1/2 hour - you can get the times on their website. The bus has plenty of room for luggage but you would have a few blocks walk after you're dropped off downtown(maybe 5 min).

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "horror stories" tend to blow things out of whack.

I would do cabs myself. Even the cab long haul issue that gets beat to death only involves maybe $8-10 in extra charge. And, going downtown, taking tunnel might be a good idea anyways.

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    try an experiment in your home town.

Take some empty suitcases and get on the city bus and ride it to work.

See of its your cup of tea.

If you are at wits end by the time you get there then a cab would be a better option.

Long hauling is when the cabbie takes the freeway to the strip. You are going downtown so it would almost be a smarter idea to take the freeway.

look up the route yourself on google earth.

What most people dont factor in is any waiting time. There are countless lights and traffic betewwn the airport and the hotle and the chances of getting all red light is pretty strong. There is always traffic too.

The freeway has traffic twice per day at rush hour.

Its a holiday, take a cab and dont think twice about it.

It will be about $25- $30.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely agree with this unless you are flying at an oddball time.
    Get your luggage take the escalator or elevator down to the lower level. The stop for the WAX bus will be off to your right, about 100 yards.

Even if you miss the bus and have to wait another hour for the next one, you do have 8 days in Vegas, what's another hour? If you are 60+, it's only a buck with a picture ID.

6. ryanmac44

ryanmac44 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about going downtown but from the Flamingo to the airport is going to be $20 max so for me it wouldn't be worth the hassle of taking a shuttle to save maybe $5. I agree with nostresshere that the "horror stories" get overblown sometimes. Usually if you get longhaulded it is only going to mean a difference of $10 and that is just a drop in the bucket for my vegas fund. :)

7. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's no harder putting luggage on a bus than carrying it up your front steps when you get home. Taking the Wax bus downtown will save you $25.00 over a cab, which will pay for two buffets.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The cab DT "should" be $25 -$30, it would prob be $35+, add in a tip and the bus is the obvious choice...if money is important. That is the way I look at it candy - that the money I save pays for my meals for the day.

9. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think that would be a fair trial., I have seen buses in the city but the WAX is a large bus usually with about 3 people on it, very comfortable and spacious. There is plenty of room for luggage. I haven't used a shuttle since the WAX started running; It was an easy walk from the carousel to the bus, easy getting on and 28 minutes to Fremont Street Exp, and s 5 minute walk if that to the GN. I would take a shuttle back but with 2 of you, you may feel less stressed to pay the extra and avoid the wait. Have fun!

Jimbo338

10. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think you can do a cab downtown for $25 anymore. Seems to me that kind of fare goes back a least a few years ago before the last rate increase. My last fare (surface streets) from downtown to airport was close to $30 pre-tip and that's without the airport fee.

Just FYI, long hauling is when the cab doesn't use the most direct route without your permission. Airport to downtown, Trop to 15 is a viable option to surface streets, but the tunnel is definitely a long haul.

The WAX is a decent option for the OP to get downtown from the airport, but I'm not sure I'd say there's plenty of room for luggage. You still have to sit with it in front of you, on the seat next to you, are on you. It's not like there's a luggage compartment, so if someone has a lot of luggage.... Probably worse trying to the Deuce or SDX from downtown to Flamingo in terms of dealing with luggage.

11. reen1962

reen1962 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've done the WAX from airport to downtown. It was a piece of cake. You do have to have your luggage in front or beside you, but the bus is never full. The trip is very quick as there is one stop by NYNY and then it gets on the freeway to downtown. There are maybe 3 stops before you get to the main bus stop downtown, but don't be worried about any hassles. Always familiarize yourself with the bus system and you won't have a problem. You pay the bus fee when you get on the bus at the airport. That isn't the case with all other buses. Getting from downtown to the Flamingo, I'd take a cab. Don't get long hauled. Make sure the cabbie takes you the most direct route.

It's Been Too Long 'Ol Friend! :-)
  12. boxsocial

boxsocial Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this is almost my exact scenario when i head in over memorial day. i purchased a 3-day all access bus pass online for me to get around with. looks like i'll get to the airport, take the WAX to downtown for my stay at the plaza, then catch the WAX or SDX to Planet Hollywood, then take the WAX back to the airport. i'll probably take the WAX back to downtown at some point and catch the SDX or deuce back to PH. it helps to get an idea of how the bus system runs and where the stops are. thank ford i live in a city with great transit and wrapping my head around all this in vegas is pretty easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.