1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Scotch

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by uli_1515, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uli_1515

uli_1515 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just reading the thread about what people drink in Vegas and it got me thinking. I am usually a Makers Mark and Pendleton drinker but I want to move on to expanding my favorite past time.

I picked up a bottle of Johnny walker blue a few days ago. I thought I would like it more then I guess I do. Is it mainly the JWB to have such an in my opinion overly smoky flavor? I'm going to buy a bottle of Macallan 18yr tonight after this wedding.

Maybe the people of this board can give me and other amateurs some recommendations on bottles to try and anything that you think would help me and others out.

Thanks.

2. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Macallan 18 is not at all smoky for scotch. If you're going to spend the money, it's a nice bottle.

One thing I did when I was starting with scotch recently...I went to a high end liquor store and bought a lot of different single serving bottles. It let me try a bunch of different drinks without committing to a $190 bottle.

3. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would recommend Crown Royal...;)

and NOT Laphroig!!!

5. kidrice

kidrice Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Crown Royal is not a scotch.

6. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Crown Royal!....That's funny.:nono:
    Try Glenfeddich 12 or 15 year old.
    Good luck. :beer::beer:

7. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    and a donut with no hole...is a danish...;)

i know it's not, i just hate scotch. All scotch. Ever since :vomit: on it in high school...;)

8. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

let's say you are a little over 50, like me, and of the whiskeys like the canadian blends best, like the pendleton and crown royal...and can afford those instead of black velvet and canadian mist.

let's say anytime you have tried scotch you probably had some of the cheap stuff, and it was not very good.

i have had some of the good kentucky whisky, though not the really top end, makers mark probably the top, and still like the canadian better.

is there any scotch out there that you scotch experts think i would like, or am i just going to be set in my ways?

9. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm like you. 40s, always drank whiskey but not scotch. For bourbon I like Makers, but I prefer Woodford.

For scotch, Macallan 12 is a really nice scotch for a reasonable price ($45 or so a bottle.) If that's too pricey try Glenlivet 12.

10. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    uli_1515,

Like everyone recommended, I'd try Glenfiddich 12 or Glenlivet 12. If you like those, I'd then try Glenfiddich 21 or Oban 14 next since you had the coin to get Johnnie Walker Blue :peace:

In addition, I'd also do a search in your area for Scotch tastings at local restaurants. I'm in Maryland and Macallan came out. Their reps put on a great tasting (5 Scotches) for about $65 with food... I found out I really didn't like Macallan but had a good time talking about my favorites with other Scotch drinkers over cigars...

Charlie

Annual Golf Trip
  11. Hawaiianmark

Hawaiianmark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scotch? Ask Scotchy!

Calling Pnutter.

12. RIRugrat

RIRugrat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oban 14 is very smoky. I love it, but if you think JWB is too smoky then you won't like Oban.

Agree with the Glenfidditch 21 recommendation but it is so smooth it almost tastes like cognac.

Scotchy scotch scotch...

13. adam320

adam320 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Balvenie double wood is very good if you don't like peaty scotches.. 12 year can be had $40ish a bottle.

14. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I wouldn't spend Johnny Walker Blue money on a blended scotch.

Glenlivet 18 year is a great single malt.

A cheaper single malt that will really surprise you is Glenmorangie Original - one of my favorites actually. A fantastic scotch.

15. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True scotches are high priced due to the need to age to cut down on the harshness a true scotch is made with only malted barley and water also known as single malt scotch.

JWB is a blended scotch and while very good is not a true scotch it is made from grain whiskey and mixed with single malt scotches the grain whiskey is used to cut the harshness without the need for extensive aging but comparing blended vs single malt scotches is like apples and oranges yes they are both fruits but they are distinctly different.

16. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Solo
  17. uli_1515

uli_1515 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for the responses and Charlie ill be looking for some tastings. I put most of those bottles on my list but it will take some time to drink my way through all of them.

Thanks again!!

18. kidrice

kidrice Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A guy walks into a bar and orders 6 double shots of the most expensive scotch. As the bartender is pouring the drinks, the guy is slamming them down.

The bartender says, "easy there buddy, why you drinking like that?"

The guys replies, "you would be drinking like this if you had what I have."

The bartender asks cautiously, "what do you have?"

The guy answers, "75 cents".

19. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since you're staying at the Monte Carlo, you can play in their high limit room for $100 a hand. They'll pour you most any kind of scotch that you want (within reason.) I always use that as a chance to try something new.

20. uli_1515

uli_1515 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Mike for the advise.. Sadly I only really play at the green chip level for around 3-4 hrs a day. We go mostly for the restaurants and shows. Only recently have we started going to Vegas, we used to just go to Sanfran, Seattle, LA etc etc for long weekend trips to go to their food scenes. This time ill be playing about 1k a day for gambling yet it seems we go over. I am truly just trying to expand my knowledge from my typical beverages to an advanced understanding of Scotch. Trying to avoid that Deer in headlights if someone offered me something that I know nothing of.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.