1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM no longer accepting debit cards at check-in?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by boxnmn2k3, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxnmn2k3

boxnmn2k3 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a call from a friend that checked into the MGM Grand LV this morning at the airport location, and after 8yrs of using his DC they told him they no longer ACCEPTED debit cards as a means of payment for room check-ins. Is this true? Is this a new policy?

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you're talking about the really old debit cards that have to be run as debit cards with PIN, I doubt they accept those. of course they always will accept debit cards with a visa/mastercard logo as those can be run as credit cards.

3. drexel

drexel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be there on Friday and will let you know. As I will be using my debit card to check in

4. boxnmn2k3

boxnmn2k3 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, let me know the lowdown.

Shifter: I was TD Ameritrade debit card with the Visa logo, no pin required. And also he's there on a comped room...strangeness. Always something new with MGM PROPERTIES....

5. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it has something to do with the daily limits sometimes being low on debit cards, and some customers exceed the limits that are able to be charged on debit cards.

6. Laura_W

Laura_W Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if you tell them you don't want charging privleges (why in the hell can't I spell that word??? LOL) if they would let you use a debit card? Ugh, we don't have a credit card, just a debit.

7. wndrwmn71

wndrwmn71 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope this is an anomaly with an individual's debit card, as that is what I have been (and will be using) for my trips.

Heck, I booked rooms at PHo and The Mirage AND had a rental on my debit card. If anything, they might just put a larger number of finds in the account on hold.

8. Nomoneywoman

Nomoneywoman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They told me that 2 years ago. My debit (visa) is all I use. So then they asked for $200 cash. I asked to see the boss & he took care of it. No problem last year. They just want to make sure they get their money if you charge to your room.

9. HallOfPromise

HallOfPromise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I think it has something to do with the daily limit that can be charged on a lot of debit cards compared to no limits (even past the credit limit) on most credit cards. The hotels probably need the ability to charge guests large amounts if the guest, let's say for example, trashes a room.

I think my debit card has a $1000 daily limit on it before it's cut off for the day, which I think is there to protect me... I guess.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.