1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

LAS C Gate for Southwest.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by engicedave, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

No idea if it is always like this, but there was ZERO line at TSA. Not one person at ID check guy, like two people at scanner. It was like first class service, while I could see a big line (as usual) for the D gates.

Was crazy!

Now, for reference, this was a Wednesday morning about 9:20am

But wow....I wasn't even ready to go through scanner, as I had not put my stuff away in my bags. I had to take a minute to organize, get out liquids, put other stuffing backpack...I looked like a rookie!

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wondering if you went to the side that has C&D gates, where in the old days it was half C and half D, but now is all D gates with one small area for C gates on the right. I go that way almost every time now and sail right thru as well and hop on the tram if I have a low (C1-14) gate number. I almost never go up to the gate-area behind the SWA sky cap anymore... it always crazy there... where they merge the wheel-chair people in with the A-list and grinds things to a halt.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  3. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Past 2 years we have gone to what I believe is the D/C gate TSA. No line and quick as can be. We like to walk by the shops and going the "right"way has no stores to linger in. Last time I took the "right" C gate security line it was about 400 people long.

4. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

It was the same side as D gate first class, but D split off to the left and C went straight ahead

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smartone/Tammy, enlighten me please. We've only recently had our SWA flights switched to C gates.

The only way we have been going to C is up the escalator to the left of the SWA counter and follow the signs to C. There is a better way? :confused2:
    Thanks!

6. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    C is rarely ever busy in my experience flying out of Vegas. The most time I've ever waited in TSA line out of 10-15 times is maybe 15 minutes.

7. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, We began taking the "other" way, just to go by the stores. Instead of going left of the counters go right, up the escalator...meander by the stores and you will see signs to get to the C gates. I only go once/twice a year and so I don't know what the "normal" wait times are at security. I only know what I experienced the past 4 years.

8. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I am flying SW for the first time in years, I'm curious about this also. Do both security gates have access to the tram? I've seen the "C" gate security line when I'm standing in line at the "D" gates security, and that line always looks empty.

Reason I'm asking, is that looking at the interactive map on the airport website, it appears that there are two c gate security areas, but the one with tram access is the one next to the D gates, where you would have to walk past the shops, and then be able to look down on baggage claim as you continue your walk.

No reason to go home yet.
  9. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I miss the old days when SW had the "secret" security outside at the end of the building. In the summer it was hotter than hades, but quick.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No... the main C gates that Joe referenced, which are to the left and up the escalator do not have access to the tram unless you turn left after clearing security and go back up that way for a bit. They are very convenient if your gate is 25, 24, 23 and the like as they come out right by there. Tammy outlined the other gates, which are the original ones and used to be half D and half C. Now there's one small area that is still designated C over there and it's SOOO convenient. The new C gate area, while much, much larger always seems to be businer when I go and the A-list line is merged with the wheel-chair folks after you pass the initial check point. I have nothing against folks in wheel-chairs, but they really slow things down. Keep in mind that if you go the route I'm suggesting and take the tram and have a high gate number, you have to walk back up stream after the tram ends to get to the 20's. The good news about that walk is that area's all been re-done and there's some nice food options and a cool new bar along the way.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  11. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thank you Smartone. Seems odd that the train has the short line, but it works for me.

I'd rather walk upstream than stand in line every day and twice on Sunday.

No reason to go home yet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.