1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Second Guessing Before A Trip

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm about 3 weeks out from my trip and the second guessing has begun.

It seems like about this time every year I find myself trying to find reasons to NOT go to Vegas.

Money is tight. (isn't it always?)
    It's so much time away from home.
    I should be home working/studying/cleaning.
    My Vegas friends won't miss me if I don't show.
    Maybe they would prefer I stay home anyway.
    Does my liver really need all that punishment?
    It's so far away and I've been there so many times.

But then I slap myself silly and say, "It's Vegas, dummy! Get packing! The Wooo-Girl choir needs you!"

Does anyone else do this second guessing in their heads before a trip? Or am I the only crazy person here? :wink2:

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the first time. We are trying to go other places also. We went to Tampa in January & Phoenix in Feb and then I had a solo Vegas trip last month.

We head out to Vegas in 2+ weeks. We had Vegas trips booked for July & Oct and then we were thinking of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

We talked long and hard about July and thanks to SWA, cancelled that and rebooked for Seattle instead.

Now we are thinking somewhere else either for Christmas or Thanksgiving.

First time ever with the second thoughts, where I have actually changed a Vegas trip to something else.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, you might second guess it now, but I bet you are planning the next trip within days or returning.

P.S. I just reviewed the fine print of the Message Board bylaws, and you are required to be in Vegas - SOON!

4. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still in the excited phase.

Never second think.

Have visited a number of places and no where gets me like Vegas. I certainly need my fix as well...Life's too short to deny myself feasible pleasures for mundane responsibilities.

5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, second guessing my Vegas trips is what everyone else I know is for.

I will second guess smaller decisions, like whether certain shows are worth it, how much gambling budget I really want, whether to eat out somewhere fancy regardless, or only if I'm doing well, etc.

6. rosec73

rosec73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can relate especially with money being tight part and in part that my nineteen and twenty y/o daughters decided we want to see Mommy in Vegas. So my Mommy Time just went to Family Time. But what better way to see Vegas than with my two favorite girls, and besides as long as I have rooms booked and a 20 spot in my pocket there is no other place I rather to be.

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Second-guessing is human nature, we're wired that way. Most of the time it's a little voice that simply has us do a double check, and then it goes away.

I've found over the years that I'm doing it less and less, be it a trip or some purchase or telling a client to bugger off. lol OK, maybe not that last one. And I never second guess vacay; destination, perhaps, but never the getaway. Maybe when we hit a certain age we're more trusting of our instincts and gut reactions.

Anywho, if it's not dread, don't worry about it. If it's a legit concern, you'll know.

8. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

Meee!!!!! :eek: But it's not my Vegas trip that I'm second guessing. I'm supposed to fly to Playa del Carmen next week, and part of me isn't really excited about it anymore.

My reasons are similar to yours though:
    Maybe I should be spending my money on something else.
    It's so much time away from home.
    Can I be away from work / school /kids /dog that long?
    I'm not sure about seeing my friend that lives there, since she is now remarried.
    Does my liver really need all that punishment? (This one I just copied from you since it applies also.)

9. sapphirevegas

sapphirevegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only second guess the trip on the plane on the way home with an empty purse! :cry::eek::cry:

3+ days out! Whoot whoot! Sonya, I'll let you know about the second guessing next week! LOL

Yearly trip
    Part two
  10. Drambler

Drambler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never second guess it once the plane ticket is booked, but at the end of a trip I vow I'm not coming back for a long time and I never stick with that. I bet once you're there you'll be laughing about the second guessing.

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe it's a girl thing, but it seems like we're conditioned to believe that we don't deserve "me time" to get away from it all. I never have these questions when it's a trip that Dan and I are going on. It seems like it's always Vegas. Probably because it's such a guilty pleasure for myself.

The money one and the "I should be doing..." ones that get me the most. Money isn't THAT tight. I mean I've been saving for this since my last trip in October. :haha:

rosec, maybe I just need some kids who tell me I HAVE to go to Vegas.

nostresshere clinched it. If the bylaws say I have to get there, I better start packing. Now, where did I put my tiara?

12. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sonya,

Too much thinking can get you in trouble. Leave that part of your brain at home and have a good time in Las Vegas where thinking is optional!
    Good luck. :beer::beer:

13. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second guess my trips especially the money parts but that soon ends once the trip gets closer.

14. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, everything is so planned out ahead of time that second guessing would cost four figures. We have to work so hard to block the time that for the 90 days leading up to the trip it's just the most awesome thing.

In your case, you promised a meet at TI on the 26th, so you better not back out! If I'm winning that day you're passing up a free drink.

15. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never second guess a trip. My experience tells me to do what you like while you can. You will never know if life throws you a curve and then you will regret you didn't do what you wanted while you could.

My first trip to Vegas with my brother was in 1996. My brother said lets take dad. i said lets take him next year. Well you can guess the rest. My father got cancer and he never made it to Vegas. To this day I regret we didn't take him with us.

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly, I think it shows you're human and still have your sanity. Only a fool carelessly drops everything and rushes out to fulfill their selfish desires... a sane person, carefully considers the pros and cons, the reasons to go and the reasons not to and then justifies it anyway!!!

You'll make the choice best for you!

17. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! You are a smartone, aren't you. :wink2:

Don't worry, Mike. I'll be at TI. I'd never miss an opportunity for free drinks!

18. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're first-guessing.

You can't second-guess it until it's over.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

19. LV_Bound

LV_Bound Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How can you say such a thing. :nono::nono::nono:
    There are plenty of people trying to find any way to go and you are trying to find reasons NOT to go? That is sad. :cry:

About 3 weeks out and I am like. :banana::woohoo::woot:

Granted about 3 weeks out I am also doing the chant.
    Don't get sick
    Don't get sick

20. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I've been saying that too. Dan sneezed last night and I threatened to make him sleep in the garage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.