1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

using WAX from the airport to The Plaza question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by doublemom1998, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doublemom1998

doublemom1998 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hi there using WAX for vthe first time from the airport. If we are staying at The Plaza do we get off at 4th and Carson or Bonneville Transit center? Will there much of a walk since we'LL have luggage? Thanks for the help :nworthy:

2. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'd get off at 4th and Carson, not the transit center. You will have to hike the entire length of the Fremont Street Experience, so be prepared.

I'd probably think twice about it depending on how many jars of jam you have in your luggage.

3. doublemom1998

doublemom1998 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No jam, but bottles of booze yes:beer:

4. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or walk a block to the El Cortez and grab a cab! Hmmm, guess if you we're going to do that you'd do the $7 van shuttle...

5. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Five city blocks to the Plaza. (Three to El Cortez, BTW.)

6. doublemom1998

doublemom1998 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5 blocks??!!! Forget that ... Damn was hoping to avoid a cab.

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It drops you by 4th and carson, 5 blocks is nothing, how much luggage you have anyway? I guarantee you are walking more than 5 blocks through the airport.

8. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personaly, I don't think it is all that bad. It's not like walking 5 blocks on the Strip. It is prob a 10 minute walk. I'm 66 and nor in great shape and do it all the time to go from El Cortez to MSS for lunch etc. That's why you luggage has wheels, lol. If you're not into that, I'd take a shuttle from the airport. I hear horror stories all the time but my shuttles downtown didn't take that long. I used to time them and I think the last one stopped at Orleans and right to downtowm. I was checked in and unpacking 45 minutes after landing.

Last two years I took the WAX and walked to El Cortez or Gold Spike with luggage. I don't know your age or health but the area you will be walking is very safe the entire walk.

Jimbo338

9. doublemom1998

doublemom1998 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubs and I will have small/med rolling bag each and there will be one carryon bag. I'm having hard time convincing him this is good idea :rolleyes2:

10. ernestoc33

ernestoc33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not that bad at all, you'll do fine as long as you don't have a crazy amount of luggage. I always take the sdx from the SouthStrip xfer terminal to get to MSS. Its a hassle, but its dirt cheap lol.

11. doublemom1998

doublemom1998 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks so much! I'm showing him your post, basically it's just walking Fremont canapy length it seems then. That works, we are early 40 and in good shape. He's just gonna have to suck it up! I'll give him the $$ we save to play craps :kiss:

12. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that has been my experience w/ the shuttles as well...

It's probably almost twice the length of the canopy itself, but it's really not bad. Especially if you stop somewhere along the way to hydrate! :)

13. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am the same age as Jimbo and completely agree.
    Bring a couple straps and put your carryon right on top of the roller luggage and roll down Freemont.
    Heck, I roll from the Orleans to the Gold Coast.

Another strategy is to bring a large suitcase packed light (under 50 pounds) and then repack in the airport, putting your carry on in the suitcase. I do that as I have three carry on items (including C Pap machine). I like rolling the larger bag better than the smaller bags because the wheel base is wide and I never get my wrist twisted. Having it all in one bag is also nice for bus entry and exit. Plenty of space for luggage on that WAX and no crowds.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  14. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to Google Maps, after getting off the bus (at stop #6142) you walk 1/2 a block down 4th street (approx 285 ft) then turn left at Fremont where you walk the 4 blocks (0.3 miles). They estimate you can walk that (0.4 miles) in about 7 minutes.

With dragging suitcases, well that depends on you.

15. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do this EVERY time I go to Vegas. I'm 34. Not in the best shape...but not sickly either. It's not 4 LOOOONG blocks. The blocks downtown are not very long at all. You will be so overwhelmed by all the action going on fremont street that you probably will enjoy the walk and won't even think how long it is. Stop and say hi to some of the buskers....maybe dip into mermaids on the way for a slushie drink and a dollar hot dog. It's not that bad with luggage as long as it's on wheels.

16. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easy walk.

Rolling luggage.

All under FSE canopy. You will enjoy the view!!

You could exit the bus at the Bonneville Transit Center. But that is a longer walk on city sidewalks.
    Just stay on the bus until the next stop...near Fremont.

17. doublemom1998

doublemom1998 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.