1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Strip area clinics or emergency room?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by GeorgeandTheBear, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We will be in LV April 20-27, staying at Treasure Island. My wife will be one month, post shoulder surgery and also has some other health issues. Instead of running around as if our hair were on fire should she need attention I would like to have an idea where the closest clinic is, or emergency room if necessary. We will have a rental car.

2. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The concierge at TI will know the closest clinic. If you just need a walk in doctor, the Walgreens across the street at Venetian has one.

3. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

Agreed, confer with your concierge.
    You might even consider doing so at check in, "just in case" and also so they're well aware, should the unfortunate need arise.

4. ttom

ttom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The closest ER's to the Strip are right next to each other - University Hospital (county facility) and Valley. Both off of Charleston west of the Strip. However, having seen them in action.....ehhhhh. One month after surgery you should be out of the zone for the likely serious complications. That far out infection probably top on the list but that would likely show up much earlier so you should know about it ahead of time. With that said, things that can go wrong with surgeries - I don't think I would want to hang my hat on the Walgreens and CVS clinics. They are mostly staffed by nurse practitioners or PAs. For a surgery complication, that is not where you want to be. For a runny nose - sure. Check to see if you have UTI - fine. Surgical complications - no.

I don't know what your finances are but you can also consider a house call. I don't know what they cost in Vegas but probably in the $200-400 area. You will get an MD knocking on your door within the hour. Hotel operator should have contact info. Your insurance won't cover most of it likely but a trip to the ER could be a long experience. May make the cost worth it.

There is also a hospital out on Maryland past the old Hilton - Sunrise or something like that but I know nothing of them.

5. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would check with your insurance company and see what they recommend as it relates to an urgent care facility. There is no point in extra out of pocket expenses for using one not in your network. But IIRC, there is one on Harmon near the strip. I got the impression there are a few close to the strip, actually.

6. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I posted about an allergic reaction that I had several years ago while in LV. Someone told me that there was a hospital on Paradise and I was attending a seminar at the LVCC. I made it through the first seminar and in the second one had to leave with a wicked case of the hives. I asked security where the hospital on Paradise was and he suggested I check with the nurse on duty at the Convention Center. She told me that I probably didn't want to go there unless I was prepared to wait 14 hours to be treated (her words) and recommended a walk in care clinic on E. Harmon.

Harmon Medical Center, 150 E. Harmon Ave., #A, LV< NV 89109, 702 949-5011; 796-1116.
    I took a cab over and was seen in just minutes. It is staffed by MD's and they have a pharmacy. They billed my insurance company. I was back at my hotel in about 2 hours. I worked in Outpatient ER's going through college and found them very friendly and competent. In all the confusion I didn't call the 800 number on my medical ID card.....who thinks of those things when covered with hives and itchy and grogy? My insurance company said they were out of network and wouldn't pay.(Thank you Antham, I know it would have been tough to take part of the $16,000/year that I was paying for the family plan to pay.) The clinic sent me the bill and only charged me the insurance rate which was $150. If I had to chose between waiting 12-14 hours and paying $150, it would have been the latter anyway. My insurance paid for the perscriptions. Now I keep their address and phone # in my wallet when in LV.

Jimbo338

7. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DO NOT GO TO UMC ER! Crazy scary. 6 hrs to see a Dr for an ear infection.

8. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would it be possible to postpone the trip?

If she's having serious shoulder surgery most likely she'll have her arm in a sling .
    If she has other issues that limit her mobility also,or cause her discomfort maybe she should wait till the shoulder is back 100%.

10. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I should clear things up a bit. The shoulder is the least of our worries. She has a laundry list of health issues and has gotten sick a on a couple of trips. Luckily, we have managed with calls to her doctor and prescriptions called in to Walgreens. The shoulder issue is just piled on top of her other chronic issues. I just want to be as prepared as possible to care for her.

Postponing isn't an option. I am attending a convention and she just loves the fact that we are going to Vegas on the company dime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.