1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone Have A Co-worker Caught Stealing ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I did.
    It happenned a couple days ago.
    I found out 2 days ago w/ a Mug Shot in the local paper.
    ** I'm going to be somewhat vague here --
    I don't know who might read this......sorry **
    He has been filling in for the "regular" person who collects
    money........off + on since before Christmas.
    It is "coin money" from different locations.
    He was caught by detectives who stopped him coming thru
    his door w/ a bag full of coins......ALOT of coins !!
    Infact, it was his greed that got him caught......he
    took too much at one time...:nono:...rather than "skimming it".
    "You can shear a sheep many times....but kill it once."
    This was his mistake.
    He told police: "I did it once before."
    Well, to me this was TOO obvious - because I'll bet the
    detectives were watching him since that "first time."
    Why ?
    I would tell this dummy.."They keep books on 'The Drop' --
    and if the "The Drop" is off by ALOT.....something's fishy ?
    A "small variation" is acceptable....understandable....routine.
    So...I've heard "a month suspension without pay."
    Embarassment, too.
    But......
    I've bet everyone.....he won't be fired.
    I'll explain that later.
    Anybody else ?

2. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked part time once with a guy also working part time. His regular job was fixing coin operated amusement machines. I don't think he had much of a benefit package but his boss did take the mortgage on a little house close to work for him. His employer had several businesses and was really paranoid about getting ripped off and oddly enough this guy skimmed off almost $30,000 in change over several months. He wasn't watched or even suspected as far as I knew but was caught when he tried to cash in $5,000 in change out of town at a bank.

The amount was unusual especially from someone who was not a known customer who regularly made deposits from a business that would take in a lot of change. They were suspicious and asked casually where the money came from. He answered that his boss had machines and paid him in cash. The bank sensing something was fishy contacted the local police who notified the guys employer who said absolutely not, that all of his employees were paid by check. The guy was arrested and I guess did some time in jail, and needless to say lost his job. Too bad;not only is theft wrong but he was biting the hand that was feeding (and housing) him, as well!

Jimbo338

3. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in inventory control at a computer store so heck yeah! We had people hiding merchandise in ceiling tiles to sneak out later, cashiers stealing credit cards and store credits from customers, all kinds of crap. The one I personally caught was during inventory. We had a rash of new DVD movies and video games being stolen within days of new release. I couldn't figure out how they were consistently coming up short. We were finishing up inventory and I went into a desk to find a marker or something and instead found the empty cases for the last batch of games that were stolen. Turns out the guy was stealing the games as they were received but before they hit the sales floor on release day to bootleg them. I don't know if they successfully prosecuted him but all of a sudden the expensive wedding he had made more sense considering his salary.

4. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mrs JG was in banking many years

Plenty of tellers over the years

5. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked in an Auto Factory.

Johnny Cash's song was completely accurate.

The only one's I ever saw caught, were the ones that physically overdid themselves.

IE: Wrap a 30 ft length of Heavy Chain around your body and passing out in front of a guard.

or tie a 40 lb crankshaft around your neck and pass out in front of a guard.

When I started, I worked at a plant next to the ship docks. One Saturday, when few were there, I saw a fork truck with a skid of radios, drive up to the fence, lift the radios over, and a fork truck from the docks slip it's forks in and drive away.

Then they got rid of the guards and put turn styles in - never heard of another person caught for the next ten years I worked

I have hundreds of stories, many made more stealing than working.

Many stole every day, every time they went out of the gate. for 40 years.

What I don't have is any real stories of anybody getting fired, and staying out. I'm sure there were some, but I can't vouch for any.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
  6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure. I got accused of stealing once when I was in my teens.

I worked at an amusement park in the games. We used to collect cash and then drop quarters down a chute into hoppers (for some goofy reason). My game was the one where you throw the rings and it was really busy on 4th of July weekend.

All of us would collect the cash in our hands and then break whole rolls of quarters into the hoppers as we collected multiples of $10. Did I mention how busy it was? Well, at the end of the day, I got selected for an "audit". As I came off the game, my supervisor took my bank and they counted it. I was glad to have the extra time to sit and relax before clocking out.

I got called into an office with my boss, his boss and two other bosses I didn't know. They said my bank was over by $20 and suggested that I was planning on stealing it. I burst out laughing and said, "I handled over $15,000 today. If I was going to steal from you, it would have to be more than $20!" Apparently that wasn't the right answer and I was "let go".

I knew lots of people who pocketed cash there. I never understood why you'd jeopardize your job like that over beer money.

I worked in property management and one of the accountants got fired for pocketing credit check fees. Again, doesn't make any sense to me. Why steal $15 from a job making you $40K/yr?

7. sapphirevegas

sapphirevegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a girl where I work stealing from customers and the boss. She would short customers their change, especially if they had a few too many. She would also figure their check, and add money to the total. Tell them the total and pocket the difference between the "real" total and what she told them. She always had the lowest drawer totals consistently. Turns out she was also not ringing in guest checks and figuring out totals and not ringing it in the register. Pocketing the whole total and throwing out the guest checks.

She was also drinking on the job and not paying for the shots she was doing. (drinking on job is a big no no anyway) The whole place is wired up, and I am amazed that people still think they can get away with stuff like that and not get caught.

Yearly trip
    Part two
  8. popcornoholic

popcornoholic Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work in an office and years ago they suspected a co-worker of stealing from the boss's purse in her office. She would go to lunch (and they got to charge their lunches so didn't have to pay) and leave her purse under her desk. They set up cameras and for whatever reason I was chosen to go in the back room and watch the camera to see what happened. And sure enough, this co-worker went in the office under the guise of dropping off paperwork or whatever and then got into the boss's purse and took money! Needless to say she was fired right away.

Tracey

9. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once, when I was five. :poke:

10. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Where did you work?

11. Dobber2320

Dobber2320 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would guess that you missed the Jane's Addiction reference.....

12. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine all Mine

13. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yea...I did, vbut it had nothing to do with the actual topic here.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.