1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone rolling out to Vegas for Viva Las Vegas or Punk Rock Bowling?

Discussion in 'Vegas Get Togethers' started by Ratpacker13, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ratpacker13

Ratpacker13 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just curious as to if anyone here in the forums would be rolling out for either event. I am working at both events as well as hanging out but just wondering if any people here were into either scene....

For those not in the know, Viva Las Vegas (www.vivalasvegas.net/) is happening at The Orleans from March 28-31st and is a huge rockabilly convention featuring bands, classic cars, vintage fashion and so much more! This is it's 16th year and people fly in from all over the world for this weekend. The crown jewel of the whole convention is the car show which will take place on Saturday, March 30th featuring hundreds of the sickest classic and custom cars and bikes anywhere PLUS an outdoor concert featuring the Godfather of Rock N Roll, Little Richard! (YES....THAT LITTLE RICHARD!!!!!!)

Punk Rock Bowling (http://punkrockbowling.com/) is a huge outdoor music festival and an actual bowling tournament though they happen seperately. The event happens May 24th - 27th downtown off of Freemont and features the who's who of punk rock! Three days of amazing bands, people watching, drinking and just the coolest people hanging out together.

Anyway, just wondering....

2. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This year will be our second time intentionally going to the car show at Viva. We caught the tail end of it one year completely by accident and we were so impressed that we have begun planning trips around it. The cars (and the people) are really something to see. The only problem I have with Viva is that its attendies make it hard to find a seat in my favorite bar.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362674416.444058.jpg

3. Ratpacker13

Ratpacker13 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, the car show is rather impressive I must say and is the grand daddy of all the car shows that events of this nature attract, in my opinion. Definitely something to check out if you are a car buff or just want some good people watching.

Finding a seat at your favorite bar, yes I can see how that would be a challenege...lol. Them rockabilly/psychobilly kids like their booze....A LOT! I have heard that during Viva the liquor sales at The Orleans is the highest out of any other event that happens there. I can't say anything because I am sure I have contributed to that total quite a bit!

Well hope you enjoy the car show this year, I know I will as I am SUPER PUMPED to see Little Richard!

4. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! It's pretty cool that they got Little Richard to headline. I will have to check out the show for a bit. Both my girlfriend and I are car nuts, so this show is fantastic for us. The bar that we can't get a seat at during Viva isn't at the Orleans, though... I think you might have mentioned it in another thread. I swear they must have shuttle service to and from the bar all during the convention. In a couple of days we'll be posting an article about last years car show, with a bunch of photos on our blog. It should be up late Saturday / early Sunday depending on your time zone. (Link in my signature)

5. Ratpacker13

Ratpacker13 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahh yes....Frankie's Tiki Room. That joint is assholes and elbows packed during Viva!

6. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    knew of it (VLV), never knew when it was, then looked at booking the orleans on saturday night, march 30, and found it is sold out. confused, i looked elsewhere and got a room w/o a problem. then somebody here mentioned that it's VLV weekend there.

i get in about 6 p.m. saturday evening, pick up a rental car and head for wherever my heart desires. (ultimately downtown to my hotel.) assuming i can't get to the orleans until at least 7 p.m. that night, is it too late to see the cars? i'm guessing by sundown people aren't really showing cars any more, and i'm also guessing a bunch of them will still be parked around the hotel.

7. Aw234

Aw234 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stumbled into VLV a few years ago. Love the music, cars and the people watching is fantastic. The Japanese Elvis is really cool. We arrive 3/27 and stay downtown but make quite a few trips to enjoy VLV. We used to book Sunday and Monday on a comp but not this year. This year Sunday is also a black out day. Rockabilly draws them in from all over the world.

Aw234

8. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you won't arrive until 7 the it's probably not worth buying a ticket, but there will be plenty of cool cars still around. I think they ask that cars remain parked until 8pm, so you might catch a heck of a parade when they open the floodgates.

9. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i'm definitely not buying a ticket. i'm sure some of the shows/activities would be fun, but i'm not a greaser, it ain't my scene, daddy-o. if the cars will be around until 8, however, it would be fun to see them.

10. Blatz

Blatz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading out to Punk Rock Bowling for the 10th year in a row! This event has taken off from the old days with just 1 or 2 small shows, and it's always my favorite trip of the year! Looking forward to watching the punks take over Fremont that weekend, and the bands get better each year. If anyone is considering the trip out, do it! I can't think of a better way to spend Memorial Day weekend.

11. Ratpacker13

Ratpacker13 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, I hear yah! Been going off and on since 2005 when I still worked for a label so we had a bowling team and man was that fun! Now I run my own biz so no time for bowling as we have had a booth at the festival for the past three years and again this year. If yah find yerself wandering around the vendor area look out for the S.L.A.M.! Scene Survival H.Q. booth and come in and say hi!

Oh and T minus two days til we leave for Viva Las Vegas! Sometimes I love my work... =)

12. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm kind of going to VLV. I don't have the energy to get dressed or do it "right" so I'm just going to meander around a little. If I had unlimited funds, I'd be shooting with Viva Van Story this weekend....but alas, I'll put all that money into the slot machine instead.

I'm interested to see who's going to win the pin-up contest (not burlesque).

13. Ratpacker13

Ratpacker13 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the first year I will be going to VLV with a full ticket, never had the need before really as just usually ended up hanging out, checking out the car show and some of the other shows off property.

As for dressing up, I know it's more of big deal for the ladies and while I do enjoy seein' em all done up and lookin' gorgeous, I get what yer saying. It's easier for the guys, slick the hair back, throw on a slick suit, done. I am not one much for living the part as I live in my own little world (kinda a mish mash of style punk/RNR) and bein' a long hair, yah tend to stand out among the grease....lol.

So aside from that, like you, hangin' out. I will be shooting parts of the show, got some friend's bands playin' and the like. Maybe we'll run into each other and say hi!

14. boxsocial

boxsocial Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i'm flying in for punk rock bowling, only catching sunday night of the fest. i'd love to find a ticket for the me first club show but they sold out immediately. still gonna be an awesome time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.