1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Looking for the simplest DVR ever.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by GeorgeandTheBear, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to buy the simplest DVR ever made. I know that they aren't complicated, but it's not for me, it's for my 88 yr. old mother. She has been using a VCR since Christ was a corporal and it has finally given up. She is hard of hearing and can barely see her hand in front of her face. I would love to find one with a remote that has big buttons (and not a hundred of them), that is simple to use. We just need to record Judge Judy and Dr. Phil, not land a disabled aircraft. What's out there that anyone's grandma can use?

2. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My advise

You need to go to your favorite store and get a salesman to help you find a simple VCR that even you can operate it. Then you can just set it up to record
    your grandma's favorite shows. You can set it up to record those shows forever.

All your grandma has to do is press on the (MY DVR) button and chose which show she wants to see. Then teach her how to erase the show.

My mom is 92yrs. old and my nephew is the one who takes care of my mom's
    business needs. She doesn't record anything. She has eagle eyes.lol. But she is
    helpless in working any kind of electrical devices.

I think that DVR's are complicated for a lot of people.lol. A lot of my friends don't
    want to bother learning how to use one. LucyR.

3. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mother is 83, and both my sister and I have tried to teach her to use the ON DEMAND feature, to no avail. She can do it fine, but after a couple of days of not using it, forgets how. Not sure if your mother is the same, but with mine it is not so much the number or size of buttons, but navigating and reading the screens. I am just saying this because we were going to get DVR for her, but if she cannot even figure out how to use ON DEMAND, then a DVR is pointless.

4. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about putting tape over the buttons that she won't need? A friend of mine did that for his mom and dad.

5. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get a TiVo unit and set up a "Season Pass" for any shows she's interested in....it will then tape them ALL and she can watch them whenever she wish's.......

6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the remote is the most important issue, you can also buy a universal remote type things and program it for her - look for one with the buttons you need.

(I say this as someone who has had to learn to use many many complicated remote & electronic systems over the years to prove something to my husband - he made a joke when we were dating that he could never marry a woman who couldn't use his remote....So now I have to do it better than he can:rolleyes2: I freaking hate remotes. Or rather, I hate that we have 17 devices to control.:nono:)

Good luck with the DVR. Can't help with that as we have whatever is available from DirecTV, one HD and one regular....:peace:

7. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about a CD Player?

You could set it up to tape all of her favorite shows on it. Then just have her turn it on to play and shut it down when she has seen enough.

I have taught my old mom how to use the microwave. I bought her a real simple one. I told her to shut it down was to just press twice. But she only presses it one time. I gave up. She used to pull the plug from the electricity when she wanted to stop the microwave. Her cleaning lady and mom's friends are just as
    helpless as my mom. They don't know how to do nothing.

My old mom puts the heater button on 90 degrees and then shuts it off when it gets too hot. I keep telling her to just put it on 75 degrees for the winter. She just doesn't get it. She is always getting colds because she choses to keep the heater off. I also tell her to dress in warm clothes.

My mom has a super mean streak in her so I try not to visit her too much because then she starts saying mean things to me. I still make sure that her needs are being met financially. She does have a care provider that keeps an eye on her since she is 92yrs.old. My mom is in good health. LucyR.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe I missed something here, but you are somewhat limited by your tv provider. If Directtv - then their DVR, if cable company, then their DVR.

You MIGHT be able to find a remote that might help some, but you still have the onscreen thing to deal with.

Most of the programmable remotes would not work well since she is almost blind.

There are lots of places on the internet where you might find some answers other than dealing with gambling degenerates that hang out here - LOL!

9. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DirecTV also offers TiVo...I have two of their units as we speak. IMHO the best DVR unit on the market.

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another thing to think about is getting one that you can program remotely (Time Warner lets you do that over the internet, for example); that way, you can set up her recordings and you only have to teach her how to go in and watch them.

11. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't realize that I was as limited as I guess I am. I went straight from a VCR to Directv "whole home DVR". I thought I could just go buy a recorder that would replace, and act just like her VCR, but without the tapes. I guess that's not the case :confused:???

She has cable. I guess I will go by the cable co. and see what they have to offer. Helping her get things programmed in no big deal since I only live two blocks away and also someone in the family stays with her every night. I wanted something very simple for her, not that she's not sharp in her mind, but her sight is so poor that she really struggles reading pretty much anything.

Gambling degenerates? You say that like it's a bad thing :confused2:

12. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Buck

Since your mom has cable then the cable box is where you can program her favorite shows. Ask for the Cable guide on how to record.

When your mom is tired of watching the tapes shows all she has to do is turn off the t.v. and then you can later erase the shows she has seen.

Since her eye sight is bad the talk shows are the best ones to tape for her. She can listen to the words. There is also a device that you can buy for her so she can use it in her ears so only she can hear the loud t.v. since she has a hearing problem. I bought one a long time ago so I didn't make any noise for the neighbors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.