1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rental Car Choices...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by gregsmith, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregsmith

gregsmith Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In LV... 4/14 at noon til 4/20 at 7am. Need advice which company to choose most reliable to deal with and best price?

Saw cheap rates at Fox? and Alamo?

Thnx Greg

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm fortunate that I travel and rent a vehicle frequently for business, so cost isn't my responsibility, but for reliability, National is INCREDIBLE and 90% of my rentals are in Las Vegas. Alamo is owned by National/Enterprise and I would expect you'd receive a similar level of service and satisfaction. Fox isn't even at the rental center, I believe you take the bus to the rental center and then there's another one that'll take you to Fox. I dunno, I live by the phrase you get what you pay for and I know that saying isn't absolute, but...

3. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go with Alamo. Always great and are easy to deal with in my experience.

4. AndyAkeko

AndyAkeko Time magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The biggest problem with Fox is having to take two shuttles to get there: One from the airport to the rent-a-car center, and then a second one to get to their offsite location further down Las Vegas Boulevard. When you read the negative online reviews about them, this seems to be the number one complaint (and my guess is most of those people didn't do any research and simply went with the lowest rental price).

The biggest plus is that because they're offsite, you don't have to pay the airport taxes on your rental which is why they are almost always the cheapest quote online. Is that worth the extra 20-30 minutes you're losing each way waiting for a second shuttle to take you another two miles away? So far their prices haven't been low enough to tempt me.

5. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd go with Alamo for now if the price is good. Keep checking rates though, and don't pre-pay. You can often rebook at a lower rate if you watch prices closely in the weeks leading to your trip. I have even rebooked at a lower price on the day before.

6. gregsmith

gregsmith Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all..... I was worried needed to book now because if I waited all the cars would be gone or stuck with a huge price..

7. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Greg, You should book the bet price you find now, in case it doesn't get any better. Then keep on looking and rebook if you find a better rate.

8. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have found EZ to be very cheap, but the prices at all the companies in Vegas vary greatly. I used Alamo this past trip and got a 300C for a week for $134 after taxes. That was a STEAL on a very, very nice car. Good luck!!

9. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've used Dollar for our trips and have never had a problem. We joined Dollar Express and it's great, you provide them with your information before you even take the trip and when you show up you can skip the lines and head straight out to the garage to pick up your car. Even if you don't use Dollar I'd suggest looking into a program like this at other companies.

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our corporate travel department used Advantage until recently, lately they've been getting the best rates with Enterprise. Of course they could switch again next week. :)

11. gregsmith

gregsmith Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like I might be limited..... And this is stupid if you ask me.... I don't have a credit card just a visa debit card and I'm reading to rent at some of these to use it they run a credit check?! That's none of their business! If I have the money in the bank and my own insurance what's their problem?

12. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many will rent with a debit card if you have proof of return transportation (airline or plane ticket) and they will reserve a hefty authorization.

Alamo/National/Enterprise will still rent with cash in most locations with a $300 cash deposit (which takes for-ev-er to get reimbursed) proof of home phone, pay check stub, etc., etc. It is absolutely a hassle, but if you don't have a credit card and do need wheels, they at least offer the option.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  13. Aurelien

Aurelien Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.autoescape.com/ is quite cheap, and insurance is included.
    They'll give you a voucher, at DOLLAR or TRIFTY, or any lowest rental.
    Tried twice in Vegas, no issues. Allow a few days, do not book 24h prior to your stay.

14. gregsmith

gregsmith Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay thanks ill try that see fox could use debit card too.

Will check that website.... Booking now for trip mid April

15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you travel at all, having a credit card is a must.

We carry at least two different credit cards each (wife/husband). Using a debit card for cars or hotels is looking for trouble, unless you have a HEFTY balance.

By the way, we are traveling to Vegas 1st class next month, all using credit card points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.