1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

oxygen bars and water massage!?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by rdawg, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdawg

rdawg Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    where on the strip are the best oxygen bars??
    how much are they?
    i want one that people say is relaxing, comes with a massage and is like a hangover cure??

tips on where to go for the best one would be nice

also those water massages that are like 10 mins for 10 bucks or so..
    where to go and how much??

please and thanks

2. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I personally wouldn't bother with the oxygen bar for a hangover cure. It does not work. I tried it twice in Las Vegas. No dice.

The overall experience was better at the one I went to downtown in front of the GN instead of when I did it at Kahunaville at TI.

(My uncle used to own a large O2 business in Chicago so it wasn't my first time trying either.)

Stephanie

3. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there's an oxygen bar in the palazzo/venetian, somewhere between the food court and tao.

4. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think the oxygen bars are selling actual medical grade oxygen, as it is a drug and I don't think just anybody can prescribe/give it to just anyone...just my 2cents

I work in aviation and when we toured one of the shops the guide told us that if you ever come in with a hangover, grab a few breaths of oxygen, he said it would clear it right up. He also mentioned he did not recommend coming to work with a hangover...

Anyone seen the movie flight? I assume that's what they were hinting at when Denzel was checking that oxygen.

5. LadyShaye

LadyShaye Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did not find the oxygen bar to have any benefit/outcome/relief when I tried it either. They did rub my shoulders and used a head massager while I was breathing....which was nice but not real long!

I did the water massage thing downstairs at Ballys. We got there when no one was doing it, so they gave us BOGO :) and by the time we were done they had a line up waiting.

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He was on a lot more than O2 when he reported for duty that morning!

7. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the water massage you are talking about the one Samantha Brown got when they held her up in the pool and massaged her?

That looked great!

8. VegasVegan

VegasVegan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a bunch of b*llshoot honky donky.

First, "medical grade" oxygen? Really? You think there's much of a difference between the oxygen that comes out of the wall in the hospital room versus the one that comes from the oxygen bar? Let me answer so you don't have to do any work: there is NOT much of a difference.

Any NO NO NO, a few breaths of oxygen will not, has not, will never not not not cure a hangover.

Trust me. I know.

9. VegasKing

VegasKing High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know there is one by V/P. I think there is another between Excal and Luxor, or somewhere around there.

As far as curing a hangover, that would not make sense. A hangover is mainly severe dehydration, oxygen would not do much to fix that. May help you feel more relaxed though by getting the "high" from oxygen.

10. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well then.. share the knowledge, what exactly is coming out of the oxygen bar? And, where does it come from (i.e. a tank or something else?)

11. VegasVegan

VegasVegan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's coming out at the OXYGEN bar? I think you've answered your own question there. But let me drive the point home: OXYGEN. Yeah, crazy ain't it? Oxygen (high grade...95%+) is coming at you and you be breathing that sh*t in like a boss.

It is actually not rocket science to make "pure" oxygen. They actually sell oxygen concentrators for under $1K for people that need O2 at home. I am sure these oxygen bars uses a similar setup at their kiosks in lieu of having O2 tanks delivered.

You can NOT tell the difference between the oxygen at the oxygen bar and the "medical grade" oxygen that is at the hospital. The difference is that the stuff at the hospital is made by a company with much greater regulatory oversight because in case something goes wrong, there's a trail of paperwork and chain of command that can be traced and scrutinized. This is important when you want to sue someone. Now you also know why doctors have such high malpractice insurance rates.

This as been another episode of "Med Academy 101". Carry on.

12. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is what I assumed.

Where did you learn that?

I am not trying to be a jerk, I am just interested in the subject.

This board has had this discussion before and we get a lot of the same answers. Most of which seem to be opinions (like you and I assuming what the Oxygen bar is selling).

But then again people say it will cure a hangover and others say it won't. As I type this I wonder if it is the difference between people going to an oxygen bar and people breathing "medical grade" oxygen (once again I am not trying to be a jerk, as I don't even know the difference)

13. RRT_Liz

RRT_Liz Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, there is a difference between the "medical grade" oxygen coming out of the walls at your local hospital, the home O2 concentrators, and the oxygen bars. Let me explain:

For oxygen to be considered "medical grade", it is seperated from the air, dried, and free of oil or particulate contaminants. THe FDA requires that all medical grade oxygen be 99.5% pure. The remaining .5% is mostly traces of argon and nitrogen.

Oxygen bars do not use medical grade oxygen, simply because it's not approved for medical use. This oxygen is approved for commercial use. Also, they are mixing in scents and oils to produce different "flavors" which can be highly irritating to the lungs and have been known to produce inflammation and bronchiole constriction. The purity of the oxygen bars is something like 40-ish% BEFORE they mix in the various oils and scents. Commercial use oxygen is also used for things like the steel industry, just as one example.

The oxygen used at oxygen bars does come from specialized
    concentrators, similar to the ones approved for home use. We breathe about 21% oxygen normally, so essentially at an oxygen bar you're paying for 10-15% more oxygen (that is also diluted with other crap).

I work in the medical field with oxygen every single day (I also work with other gases as needed). A lot of people are concerned about oxygen toxicity at these bars, but at normal atmospheric pressure you would have to really breathe in 100% O2 for many days on end with perfectly healthy lungs for that to occur. It's pretty rare. I'm more concerned about breathing in the various oils and contaminants at these O2 bars, as well as question the cleanliness of the entire deal. But that's just me. :)

14. ButterflyMtn

ButterflyMtn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm from Colorado so Vegas is my oxygen bar...:wink2:

Best thing I think for hangover is Alka-seltzer Extra Strength.

15. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know nothing about medical grade vs commercial grade oxygen, but I do know I tried the one at Ballys back in Feb, at the urging of a friend who wanted to try it with someone. It did not do a thing for me. No discernible difference at all.

16. whobeadrian

whobeadrian Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I completely agree with VegasKing. Hangover is mostly due to severe dehydration. Want to avoid it or minimize the effects? remember to drink water while out drinking. Want to improve the symptoms? drink lots of clear liquids (avoid soda) and rest. If hung over in Vegas and want to feel better so you can get back to partying, then might want to give the following a shot: http://hangoverheaven.com/.

BTW, I tried the oxygen bar downtown once and did nothing for me. Felt like I was sniffing car air freshener. As far as the water massage beds, those things aren't bad I've actually used the ones that are by the M&M factory.

17. Oxygenator

Oxygenator Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This +1

Hence my name on here , I know a thing or two about Oxygen at the production level. Also, medical Oxygen contains virtually zero moisture. almost always less than 1 part per million, usually less than 0.04 ppm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.