1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Was There Any "Action" on Who Would Be Pope ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Just wondering......?

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went a grand at 100,000:1 that it would be a woman. Some offshore joint. Man, if that baby'd hit!!

3. beaumontbhoy

beaumontbhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guy who won was 25-1 with my bookmaker in ireland

4. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He was between 20/1 and 30/1 depending on where you shop. As for what region the pope would come from ,his region of the world,Central and South America paid off at 7/2.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :rolleyes:another old, (76) white guy.

Can somebody explain why the US media is gaga over the "first time a pope from the Americas" hoopla.

It's a different continent, in a different hemisphere and has nothing to do with North America. Among the lists of "firsts", this seems to be the silliest and most non-meaningful. Not that any of them mean anything.:poke:

Same old, same old, policies, carry on.:poke:

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, the big bad media force-feeding people stuff they have no desire to ingest. I guess people watch Honey Boo Boo and the like because they are actually the discerning consumers?! lol

I'll be impressed the first time it's a woman.

I'm not of the faith, but if it helps people to know there's someone with his hand on the rudder, then that's all cool.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You and if you had kids, will all be ashes before you see that happen.

8. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the Popes

El Papa is Latino and speaks Spanish too. Most Catholics are from Brazil.

Pope Francis was close friends with Pope John 2nd and close to Pope Benedict.

I loved it when he told the crowds that he wanted to be blessed first before he gave his blessing to the crowd. That was wonderful.

The gambler who won knew this information. Plus, Pope Francis was second choice over Pope Benedict.

I like to read the history of the Popes and their life stories/bios. LucyR.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Latino? I thought he's the son of Italian immigrants. He just happens to hail from a part of the world that in some ways is erroneously referred to as Latin America, with "Latin" referring to Iberian languages and which has nothing to do with Latin any more than French does as a long-ago derivative.

I've always though it was a bit like calling up here Anglo-Saxon America. lol

10. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got a feeling the new guy won't last very long. I think by all reports he's a decent, humble, simple man.
    I believe all the special attention and hoopla over time will prove to be too much for him. I wish him luck!

11. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The new Pope

Mdee, I also get the feeling he will not last long either. The responsibility will be too much for him to handle. He is too nice and the job is too tramatising sp.
    I feel so sorry for him in taking on such a major responsibility.

They should have chosen a younger man for the job.

Lots of people are so happy that he was chosen as EL PAPA. My Argentinian friends In America have been celebrating. They are all happy.

I only feel sadness in my heart for him. It is like when a person is doing a great job at their job level and all of a sudden he is put in a higher position and the person can't handle it. LucyR.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is he being fairly or unfairly questioned for not speaking up during the atrocities?

13. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    El Papa Francis

I do notice that people have always criticized the Popes. They expect one person to change the world they live in. I think El Papa would have gotten killed if he had gotten envolved.

Jesus lived during Roman rulers and the people wanted Jesus to start an army so they could fight back but he chose peace.

Popes are chosen because they are loving peaceful men. They pray for Peace and not War.

Yes, the Pope is being critized by a lot by people who want to get their 15min. of fame.
    The people who have known the Pope personally say wonderful things about him.
    The Argentine people are super proud of him. They plan to pray for his safety.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course they should be proud, say prayers for his health, whatever. Seems like a good thing for most anybody, pope or pauper.

People critique popes, presidents and all manner of leaders and decision-makers because critical thinking is one of the most important human traits.

Successful popes are politicians. What else are they going to do, personally minister to the the poor in Calcutta, change the dressings of lepers? He and his cabinet guide the largest, most diverse "nation" in the world. He certainly isn't making massive doctrinal changes; the rule of that "nation" pretty much was locked in stone centuries ago, and it is not keeping pace with what is expected by most of us of the other civilized, advanced societies and nations of the world. But that's OK. It's a religion. It doesn't need to make sense.

The church is very powerful. It is very rich. It's leader asserts a chain of leadership and guidance going back to the Big Guy, supposedly. I don't think it is too much to ask this guy what he did and why he didn't do certain things for humanity, his flock, as he passed up through positions of ever increasing authority.

Maybe he did do everything within his power during the arrests, non-trials, kidnappings and killings. Asking that question does not seem to be too much to ask of the leader of one of the world's most important institutions, however, particularly one that is reputedly about salvation and love and grace and kindness and protection.

I mean should the church be allowed to continue to cover-up and not stand for a reckoning in light of the massive molestation scandal simply because it is loved or revered or the effective descendant of Christ?

Great people and great movements are not immune from doing bad things, stupid things. What makes them great is asking and being asked the tough questions and how they move forward.

15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread has wandered way off the original topic. I think the question has been asked and answered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.