1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Scariest place in LV. UMC ER!!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by MTMONGO, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been going to LV for about 25 years now and have checked out most of the city. Have not stayed on the strip for the last 15. Never had any worries about being anywhere DT at anytime of day or night. Lived in Chicago for a few years sometime back. To make the long story short, went to LV last week for NASCAR (10th year) and came down with an ear infection. It started on Sat. a.m., and by Monday thought I was going to die. Called the bell desk and ask where the nearest walk-in clinic was, they told to call security (we are at The Cal) and they would give me a ride to the clinic. Well they take me to University Medical Center ER on E. Charleston, MOTHER OF GOD!!! This is the ER from Hell. After 4hrs in the waiting room with homeless, junkies, and every freak in DT I get to see the Dr. It was like being in a bad movie. Oh and don't fly with an ear infection just makes things worse, like your ear drum bursting, thank god for the pain meds they gladly give scripts for.

2. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you ar unconscious and have life threatening symptoms, NEVER EVER EVER go to the emergency room! EVER! You wait forever. Just go to a clinic or doc in the box. They will see you before you die, unlike the emergency room.

3. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is very uncomfortable to have a medical problem outside or your regular medical network. Several years ago I was attending my trade show and had an allergic reaction to an unknown allergin. I have only had one instance like it in 1969 and have never had allergies. I had a case of the hives which went away after I went to bed. the next day I attended a seminar in the am, and during a second one, came down with a much worse case. I left the seminar and asked the Security person where the hospital was on Paradise explaining that I was having a reaction and someone told me that the nearest hospital was on paradise. He suggested I check in with the nurse on duty at the LV Convention Center.

I checked with the nurse who immediately asked if I was having trouble breathing. I responded I was fine just a bad case of hives at this time. I told her someone told me there was a hospital on Paradise. She responded, "god if you go there you'll be waiting for 14 hours!" All I could think of was ER which was a popular TV show at the time. She suggested a walk in clinic, Harmon Medical Center, 150 E. Harmon Ave., #A, Las Vegas, NV 89109. 702 949-5011
    796-1116.

I took a cab over and was in and out in about 2 hours. I was seen by a doctor, given a couple of shots and a perscription. They took my insurance information and I was fine in a few hours. Returning home I checked in with my doctor who said it could have been polland from a native flower or any of a myriad of allergens, and since I have had few problems before it was probably just an oddity. He gave me a perscription for allergies which I never used.

Later I received a bill from the clinic stating that my insurance company rejected their claim. I forgot to call the 1-800 # on my card and besides the Center was not in my healthcare network. Who thinks of those things on vacation when you have a medical need or emergency? They did pay for the meds though, and the Center billed me the insurance rate which was what the insurance would have paid and it only came to $150. I would have rather paid that than waiting in an ER for 14 hours anyday. Service at the Mecical Center was top notch and I was quite pleased with the treatment, timeline and results.

I have included their address and phone #'s so anyone can write it down with your other emergency numbers; it may come in handy. I carry a paper in my wallet with their #, the hotel, airport, airline etc.

Jimbo338

4. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be glad you were there on a Monday evening.
    You should see Friday night - everything you described plus the official members of the gun & knife club, OD's, DUI... it's the wild wild west.

That being said if I were in a serious wreck, the ER attached to a teaching hospital is the place I would want to go.

Glad you are better!

When we Were Young
  5. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Medical emergencies in Vegas

Jimbo, Thank you for the Medical place to go to for a medical emergency.
    I wrote down the info. and I put it in my wallet right away.
    I will be going to Vegas in a couple of weeks.

One time I got real sick with a pollen attack that I had never had in my life.
    I chose to rush to the Airport and just fly home.

But next time I might have to see a doctor right away so I am glad you shared that info. with us all. LucyR.

6. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sounds like it's better people watching than the strip or Fremont! :beer:

7. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, you want to go to UMC if you have suffered severe trauma...UMC is the only place to go for trauma. Otherwise if you have a cardiac issue then Spring Valley is supposed to be the best. St. Rose if you need an ER for minor to mid-level issues (ear infections, broken arm, leg, etc.). Since I go to Vegas 3 to 4 times a year I've done extensive research and have gotten many local opinions about medical care in Las Vegas. Overall Las Vegas has some of the worst medical care in the country. But UMC is the place to go if you hit a wall and are one the edge, otherwise go somewhere else.

8. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing about those free standing ER's - better talk to your insurance before using them, unless they have a SPECIFIC contract with them your insurance won't pay (because it's out of network) & you will be stuck with a 1000 bill.

Some states have a law that says your insurance will pay in-network rates to an out-of-network provider for true emergencies... that means life threatening... rarely why people go to those free standing ER's.

Free-standing ER's are different than the "doc-in-the-box" clinics, like the ones in grocery stores or pharmacies, those are primarily staffed by ARNP's and PA's they may or may not have a contract with your insurance - check first- but a lot have contracts- these are for substitute doctor's office visits - ear infections etc, cold & flu, minor infections, etc.

When we Were Young
  9. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone know if there are any of the "minute clinics" at the CVS or Walgreens on the strip? I always thought those were there and used that to reassure myself that if I fell ill I could go there for 50 bucks and get medicine.

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go to your med plans website

Do a provider search for Vegas so that you'll know who accepts your plan,if you dont have med coverage ,which I know some dont ,consider travel insurance.

11. Laura_W

Laura_W Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess it really IS a good idea to have this information before going there! I think if something happened when I was there and the ONLY place I knew where it was we would have to go to the ER... ACK! I hate going there here in Rockford, let alone a town like LV!

12. Laura_W

Laura_W Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And yes, flying with an ear infection is THE worst! And I delivered twins, naturally, so I know pain! LOL I thought my head was going to erupt from the top from the pressure!! I don't think there is a pain pill known to man to help that. I totally feel for you having to fly like that!

13. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ERs are never fun, but at least you get to play "What's Wrong With THAT Guy?" while you're waiting.

14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many years ago my brother had a minor eye injury, which turned out to be a grain of sand from the desert under the eyelid.

We asked the security guard at the Stardust where to go and he said to go to Desert Springs on Flamingo, which we did, and he was treated quickly. He said do NOT go to University. He referred to it by a nickname which was very unflattering.

15. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. Laura_W

Laura_W Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL!! And it sounds like you're there long enough to be able to figure it out!!

17. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I retired at 55 and when I went from a great group plan to the retiree plan it was a shock. The best advice was to take the 800 number from the back of the card, put it in your phone and use it if you ever had to utilize out of network providers. We ski at Tahoe and although a broken leg is not my idea of a vacation who can tell where that snowboarder is headed. Never had the need but with the inflexibility I am now provided it is essential to be prepared or face up to the cost of the emergency without taking the proper steps.

18. CinnamintStick

CinnamintStick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been there twice. Once when my daughter had a seizure and once when my FIL fell on his head. Both times they went in a ambulance and where seen right away. My main complaint was how they over charged and inflated the bill on both of them. My daughter was charged for 4 pregancy test and 9 drug test even after she said she could not be pregnate and did not take drugs. She does not even drink.

19. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to go to that same ER UMC about 5 years ago. I had surgery 2 weeks before we went to Vegas, no big deal, had the surgery like 4x before. I don't know if it was the heat or something but I just couldn't pee. I drank 2 liters of water and then after about an hour, it didn't come back out, not one drop. So I was at the MGM and they drove my mom and I to Urgent Care.. They said they didn't have a cathater so they said call a cab and go to the ER. Well here I am out on the side walk very un comfy and I get the urge to push and I push out pancake size blood clots and still can't pee. Then someone called 911 and an ambulance came and took me to the ER.. they said it was scar tissue from the surgery that was stuck in my bladder. I had to have a cathater for 24 hours, then sent me home to return the next day to have them take it out. Never again will I have surgery and vegas within close proximity again. Had the surgery in Nov 2011 again and two weeks later had huge kidney stones.. makes me not want to have surgery every again.

20. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sacriest EVER. watching ME on my sometimes train wreck crap runs.........LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.