1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Alamo, what are you doing?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Kcitsme, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kcitsme

Kcitsme Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I started in January looking for rental deals on a full sized vehicle for 7 day rental. My trip is for the end of April. As prices changed, I cancelled an rebooked. I am holding a reservation with Alamo for a full size vehicle, all taxes included for a total of $226.17. I did this on February 1. I keep checking and so far the rates have only gone higher. Today, I checked again and still no drop but the site had technical issues and would not let me view my reservation. I called Alamo and they said not to worry. My reservation was there and it would be available for me in Vegas. When I asked him to go over the information I learned that the price was now $245. I told the agent I had a printed copy showing the full price to be $226.17. He had me on hold for a while and then said I should contact the Vegas office and he gave me the phone number. I spoke with a very nice lady who said she had a price of $245 too. I told her I had a printed copy with a price of $226.17. She said she was unable to change the price at this time but to bring the printed receipt and it would be fine. She would also make notes on the account to show that they were notified of the difference. I told her that I hoped the prices would come down between now and late April. If they did I would be rebooking but if they did not, I would come with the receipt in hand. The one thing I did want to avoid was waiting in line at the counter. I had intended to use the Kiosk. The Kiosk is so much faster and easier. She said she did understand my frustration and she hoped I would find a lower price too.
    Check your reservations. It is better to avoid any surprises in Vegas.

2. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Online check-in is even easier. Last time, I did that the day before, then just went out to the garage, picked a car and went to the booth.

3. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was there last week, Dollar was $189 for a weekly rental after taxes on a full size. I kept checking and checking and used the Costco discount someone mentioned on here and got Alamo for $134 total. The kicker- I did the kiosk, went up to pick out my car and to be honest wasn't wild about my choices- Impala, Camry and some Nissan (Altima or Maxima, can't remember) and asked the guy patrolling the lot if I could get either a Taurus or 300 and was told it was more $$$$. I told him I really didn't want to spend more, and he said let me see your contract. He scribbled on it and said I could pick between the 300C and a Taurus. I took the 300C. 6 days for $134 and change. Not bad at all.

4. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

That's strange for Alamo. They're usually pretty straight with prices-we've never been charged more than we contracted for. I would like to say with confidence that they will fix the problem when you get there but waiting in those lines.......
    What I'm concerned with is that, even with discounts and coupons, our price for 2 weeks in April is now at over $600. We paid $134 for a week in Feb. I know prices will change, hopefully WAY downward as the date gets closer. Even so, I have never seen prices that high. If that's what the final price is, we may consider not going.

5. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One trick that might help with the two week rental... Try pricing out each week seperately. In fact, book the lowest pruce you find or each week, then keep looking and rebook if you find something lower. You'll have to return the car mid trip and pick p another, but if it saves enough money it could be worth it.

6. g-didi

g-didi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a rental early in Feb from Alamo for $112. Sometimes I was not able to see my reservation on their site and occasionally it would show my reservation as being $10 higher than what is was. I did the online check in before we left - the reservation online was working and showed the right price - and walked straight out to the garage and chose my car.

When we returned the car the return agent charged $155 to my credit card which I saw as we were walking away. We had a plane to catch, so I didnt make any effort to correct the charge with the agent or the desk, I just went to the airport. When I got home, I emailed and within two days I had a response email apologizing and crediting my card the difference and a new receipt attached. (The visa coupon for $30 was not applied before.)

I was happy with the response, mildly annoyed that I lost $6 in the transaction due to credit card conversion fees and rate differences. All in all I was happy with their service. Their new website however stinks!

7. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Atom, I've tried many different configurations and all are expensive. Just have to hope that prices come down soon. Thanks.

8. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that prices are high right now.

we got a car at alamo last september for $95 taxes in for 7 days.

never had any problem with prices being different than when I booked.

9. Kcitsme

Kcitsme Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had this price change problem last November when I booked with Alamo. I could not use the Kiosk and had to go to the desk to have it fixed. Fortunately for me, it was not busy at the time I arrived. The lady at the counter was very helpful and she could not understand why the price was different. She had to do some work but finally I received the car for the price I had printed out on my email receipt.
    I like Alamo. I usually get a good price and have no problems.
    It pays to print out copies of transactions and carry them with you so there is no question as to what was reserved and quoted. This goes for car rentals, hotels, tours, etc.

10. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone's pricing problems might be different with Alamo, but here is one thing that I have seen cause that ... the airline miles partner fee ( + tax ).

Usually when I book a reservation with Alamo, I use a promo code from Southwest Airlines, for either a discount, or Rapid Rewards bonus points.
    Even though Alamo has my code number, and my SWA membership number, the first price total that typically comes up does not include the "bonus miles fee ... usually around $7.50 (or more with other airlines). But on a follow-up confirmation page that fee pops up, and unbelievably, also increases the tax total charged on the increased base total (now including the "miles fee) ... and the NEW total will usually be "about" $10 higher than the "preliminary" total. Trust me ... I've seen it happen more than once.

11. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i booked a car on sunday night via costco, alamo came in comparable to budget, which usually doesn't happen. alamo was the best deal on a full size car, $87 for just a few hours shy of four days.... not too shabby. on thursday night alamo, via costco, is $203 for the same full size car.

i guess it was my lucky day on sunday.

wish i was in the mood for a convertible this trip, Enterprise offered one for $147.

12. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have trouble quite often with Alamo pricing. Last week I had a full size for 4 days out of Ontario for $65. Printed my bypass ticket, went straight to the car, and left. When I returned the car, I was charged $97. When I told her it was not right, she said I would have to go inside and see a desk agent. I did, and after about 20 minutes he was able to fix it. It was a free day coupon for my birthday, and he kept saying he had never seen anything like that, and was not aware that Alamo gave out free days for birthdays.

It was not a big deal, because I allowed plenty of time. I just do not understand why Alamo cant get the pricing correct. At least this time I got my 3X rapid reward points quickly and without any hassle.

13. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got one of those free day birthday coupons and added it to my res for next week. I hope they don't mess it up.

14. AndyAkeko

AndyAkeko Time magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For my trip in mid-April, the *cheapest* rate I've found on a rental (excluding economy/compact) was for a convertible at $213 for eight days with Budget. I have to admit a part of me is hoping not to find anything cheaper.

But it's so weird this time around, I'm finding mid-size SUVs cheaper than economy cars on Alamo, Enterprise and Thrifty/Dollar, and it's been that way for over a month.

15. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to bang away time, and time again on your reservation, and on the computer! I just reserved a car for April, and it's amazing how different the price can be! I noticed just tweaking the time was huge. Picking up my car, and dropping it off at 9am, cost $389. waiting 6 hours until 3pm, the same car cost $125!!

Also, I wanted it from Sunday to Friday. I could save a hundred bucks by renting it for one day, returning it, and driving it right back out for 4 more days, instead of renting it for the week!

Tons of trick you can use to beat these guys down.

16. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah, it's the weirdest, wackiest game in the world. i use costco almost exclusively these days when it comes to car rental shopping. just did a late friday night check. when i booked there were several options for under $100. a few of them remained the other day, all thru budget, for under $100. and that's when i noticed a convertible from enterprise for $147. late friday night: alamo is the only company offering a car under $200, and it's lowest price is $176.... EXCEPT for enterprise, which is still offering a convertible for $147. (it's next lowest car is an economy for $263.)

i expect the prices won't stay that high, but i'd like to know how the car rental algorithm works. nonetheless, thanks alamo for cutting me a deal on sunday night.

17. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For anyone living outside the US the prices for Alamo on Virgin Atlantic are the lowest I've ever found. BA ones are good too and about the same but can't remember if it's Alamo. The good thing is because of our laws the price you see is the price you pay and includes taxes and insurance. It doesn't include the extra insurance that is covered by your holidays insurance. We check in online before leaving the UK and have had no issues.

I think Canadians can use them too but you'd need to check in case it's changed. The exchange rate is excellent for you guys too at the moment. Boo for us though for our spending money!

Corinne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.