1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

man v food

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by longerz, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longerz

longerz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just seen man v food in vegas on tv he went to china town for crayfish anybody been and is it far from the Luxor , or has it closed down thanks people

2. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Believe thats an older show. So that info may not be accurate.

3. etm117

etm117 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    longers,

btdt--sort of.

It's called Hot & Juicy Crawfish. I believe there are two in Vegas. I think both are on Spring Mountain Road.

I myself was very excited, too, until I did some research. Apparently, there are three chains, and people familiar with this type of cuisine rate Hot & Juicy Crawfish as the lowest. By no means does that mean going there will be bad.

Unless, your heart is set on Hot & Juicy Crawfish, you should consider going to Cravin' Cajun. It's on Spring mountain and Jones across the from the Chinese and Eastern European supermarkets and Taiwan Deli and in the same plaza as China Mama. It's supposedly higher quality, and you can get a certificate on Restaurant.com. Rarely do I go out and say, "this could not have been any better". The only annoying part of the meal was the cheesy indie rock background-music. I prefer Monta Ramen where they play jelli.

Regardless of which one you choose, here's a tip. Avoid the crawfish and clams, as you are buying by the pound, and you'll be paying for bones, shells, etc. Stick with shrimp and crablegs. And, be careful. They will warn you about the hot. Eating it was no problem, as I love Szechuan, especially hot pot. However, peeling a shrimp, I squirted myself in the eye.

schwaiguy

5. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are there any new Man VS Food shows?
    It seems about a year or two ago he visited the doctor and was told he is killing himself and since them stopped doing the show.

6. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can tell he gained a lot of weight in between episodes or seasons. I always wondered how Guy Fieri managed it on his Triple D show. But after watching a couple of episodes, he limits himself to one or two bites only. If only I could do that...

7. Criminole

Criminole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He did some shows where he had other people do the eating. I think it was called Man vs. Food Nation.

8. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He either posted a year or so back he was quitting the show, wasnt really for any reason other than he was just tired of it and said everything runs its course. I am sure he was probably getting tired of eating like that year in year out too!!

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    His last series was The Best Sandwich in America, which turned out to be the Roast Pork Italian from DiNics in Philadelphia. But, I already knew that.:thumbsup:

10. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm originally a Pittsburgher, and I'm offended that Primanti Bros. scored above Katz Deli in a countdown. Primanti Bros. sandwiches are just plain bad.

11. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even worse, I saw today it was the Travel Channel's Chowdown Countdown. The Travel Channel is usually pretty down to earth.

Smallman Street Deli,a few streets from Primanti Bros. is innumerably better, so how did they beat Katz?

12. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go to Boiling Crab instead! I'm not sure how Hot N Juicy got so popular here in Vegas, but it is essentially one of the many knockoffs of Boiling Crab, the original Asian-run cajun seafood boil place. They opened in Vegas a year ago and they are definitely superior.

Here's a copy-and-paste of a long write-up I did about this topic on another board:

In my opinion, you can skip Hot 'n' Juicy and go to Boiling Crab instead, but I say that as a Southern California native. Hot 'n' Juicy is where people from Vegas go when they crave the SoCal Boiling Crab experience. Now that Boiling Crab has arrived, there is no longer a reason to go to Hot 'n' Juicy.

Boiling Crab's sauce is far superior to Hot 'n' Juicy. The latter has a gritty texture with an almost bitter finish. Boiling Crab's sauce is rich and complex, with a smooth buttery finish. Add some lime juice to it and it's perfect. I suspect the strangeness of Hot 'n' Juicy's sauce comes from the way they cook their seafood (as seen on Man vs. Food). They boil the seafood in the bag, take it out when it's done, and THEN dump in the spices. Why they choose to season only after the seafood cooks is beyond me. Boiling Crab puts everything in and it all cooks together. The flavors enter the seafood and enhance it.

When it comes to the trend of Asian-run seafood boil places, Boiling Crab is the starter of the trend and no other place matches it. The SoCal Boiling Crabs usually have a wait of at least 1-2 hours, but the Vegas location is much larger and rarely as a wait. You should take advantage of that.

Get the fried catfish basket with seasoned fries (medium spicy) to start. If you like oysters, get a dozen fresh shucked oysters. Order the shrimp for sure and get some crawfish too if they are live. The order board will note if the crawfish are live (or ask your server). As for the choice of sauce, definitely go for Whole Sha'bang with medium spice level. The corn on the cob is really good (stick with Whole Sha'bang medium for the corn sauce). Ask for limes as well as salt and pepper cups. Squeeze some lime into the salt and pepper and dip your seafood into it. The acidity cuts the richness of the sauce and the little bit of salt makes the flavor pop in your mouth.

They also sell king crab legs, but it will set you back around $25/pound. Boiling Crab's pricing is all based on current market prices and king crab is pricey everywhere this year. Clams, whole lobsters, and a few varieties of whole crabs are sold as well.

I generally stick to shrimp and king crab (when it's down around $15/pound). I'm Asian and all the other items just don't have a very good weight:meat ratio. I'll make an exception for crawfish when it's live.

How much to order? I usually order a catfish basket for every 3-4 people. As for the boiled stuff, I either let each person order their own stuff or I'm ordering for the whole table, I'll order 1lb of shrimp for each person plus a little of the other stuff so people aren't spending the whole time just eating shrimp.

My order for a table of four would be: 1 catfish basket (maybe two if everyone loves it), 1 dozen oysters, 4 pounds shrimp whole sha'bang medium spicy, 1 pound crawfish whole sha'bang medium spicy, 2 pounds king crab whole sha'bang medium spicy, 4 pieces of corn, and drinks.

Few tips: Yes, you squirt the ketchup for fries directly onto the wax paper-covered table. No, there are no utensils, hence the large napkin dispenser. The bib may seem dumb, but it'll save your clothes from flying corn juices from your table neighbor's corn. Order beer or soda. Water is $0.25 and very unsatisfying to drink while eating Boiling Crab. Take a picture of your table after you are all done.

[edit]
    I can't believe I just wrote all that about Boiling Crab. Please don't think I'm some Boiling Crab fanatic. I do eat there every 2-3 months, but I have also tried many of their competitors in Southern California, Northern California, and Vegas. None have ever stacked up.
    [/edit]​

13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for this... never heard of this place and will try it out!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.