1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flying direct from the UK

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by The Stig, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my previous trips have always gone either via Philly or as I did last year via Chicago (never again with that one).

So I have booked for going in May and this time decided to try flying direct from Manchester into Vegas, price wise there wasn't much difference and I thought well I can only give it a try and see how it goes.

Just wondering how many on here prefer direct to Vegas as oppose to connecting flights in the U.S and having a bit of a break in travelling.

2. Rheuma-Kai

Rheuma-Kai Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I´m travelling from germany and i think the best way to travel to Vegas is via London with British Airways, great Airline, great connection. But still depends on the price.

This time we´re gonna fly with Delta via Atlanta, but our travel time from Stuttgart to Atlanta is nearly the same as from london to Vegas, so its a waste of time to change planes in the US! I also like the time of departure for the returning flight cause it leaves Vegas at 9pm, so you have one more day to spend.

Just my 2 cents!

3. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It'a a 10 hr 40 flight direct from Manchester, as a oppose to a 7 hr flight to Philly then 5hr 30 flight from Philly to Vegas.
    Also I should arrive into Vegas at lunch time instead of arriving about 6-7 pm so feels like I have a some extra time there.

4. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't consider flying via anywhere from the UK. The thought of the first flight being delayed and missing the connection and getting stuck for hours somewhere fills me with horror. I just prefer the overall lower travelling times. Don't forget to join the Virgin flying club if you haven't already as next time you travel you can get the miles and money fares which are always cheaper. It can save anything up to £100 on an economy fare.

Corinne

5. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually fly indirect to save money. Our trips are long, so saving a few hours doesn't really worry us. We have flown direct from MAN on Thomas Cook and BMI and will be flying with Virgin for the first time in a couple of weeks. I agree that price wise this trip it wasn't a lot more expensive than indirect.

Be aware that the MAN - LAS Virgin flight is being suspended from Oct 24/13 to Mar 24/14. They are reviewing the flight and it may be discontinued. We booked to go with them Oct 24/13 to Dec 12/13 and were re routed to LGW on the return leg. No offer of onward travel included because the change was more than 14 days prior to the date of travel.

6. Mike40

Mike40 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always fly direct now. Did the 2 flights the first 2 times we travelled and it was a nightmare. Stress of hoping that you don't get delayed and missing the connecting flight is bad enough. Then you have the hassle of clearing customs and hoping your luggage gets loaded back on the plane for the next leg. Plus you end up travelling with Americans going on a short trip with just hand luggage getting iritated with you as you lug all your gear about getting in their way!! The connecting flights are like cattle trucks compared to the airplane you have just got off and everyone is bitching about something or other, fighting for seats or drunk and loud!!

Best to pay a little more, get on the plane and arrive in Vegas ready to begin your holiday..........!

One tip to cut costs is to get an Amex card with their Rewards program. Pay for everything on it and pay it off each month and collect the Reward points. When you are ready to book your flights, transfer the Rewards to BA or Virgin and into air miles.

7. Pacific

Pacific Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So did I several times and it was a great connection for me. This year I'll fly from Berlin via Frankfurt to Vegas because it's cheaper.

8. Mike40

Mike40 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Changing in London is fine as long as there is no hint of a few flakes of snow falling on the ground. We come to a complete standstill in that event.....:eek:

9. cha4zz

cha4zz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying direct next time with Virgin to Vegas, have flown Delta via Detroit which actually wasn't that bad. The internal flight from Detroit to Vegas was the worst leg of the journey, but the saving that we got on that flight was worthwhile.

If the flight is substantially cheaper and you're going for at least 7 nights, then flying with a stop can be worthwhile. Otherwise you're wasting at least one of your days with purely travelling.

10. Adam

Adam Creepy Vegas Friend

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who are you flying with?

If you're doing Virgin from MAN-LAS then I'd recommend it, but don't get used to it.

If you're doing Thomas Cook from MAN-LAS then just cancel now, get a train to London and fly BA direct from LHR.

Flying indirect is much easier than flying with Thomas Cook direct, it's a horrible experience.

11. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great point. For this reason, if you have to have a connection it would be better to have it in the US. Any major airport with international flights will have multiple flights per day (probably on several airlines) to LAS. So even if you miss your US-LAS flight because of a delay on the overseas leg, there should still be another airline they can put you on.

And you're saying you DON'T get people like that on a MAN-<anywhere> flight? :evillaugh

Be careful when looking at "free" flights like this. The fees/taxes for booking mileage flights on BA are ridiculous (esp. for business/first out of UK). You might be better off waiting for a good sale, getting full BA points + the reward points.

12. farkingidiot

farkingidiot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a HUGE fan of always taking a direct flight. I've flown to Europe a couple of times in the past year. One of the times, I had a tension packed layover. Far as I'm concerned, a little extra money for the peace of mind of lessening the chance of your luggage getting lost, of a nightmare layover, is more than worth it. Ten hours on plane can be brutal. (Trust me, I've been there), but overall it is worth it. Direct all the way!!

13. Marney1

Marney1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have travelled indirect and direct from Manchester and would ALWAYS choose direct following a horrendous weather situation a few years ago which caused mega disruption both ways.
    Have no qualms travelling with Thomas Cook as found Virgin to be overpriced, over hyped and underwhelming in their Customer Service ethos.
    I spend the duration of the flight focusing on what lies at the other end rather than any minor quibbles en route - can't beat landing at the heart of the Strip, then just soaking up the city!
    Enjoy.
    :beer:

14. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the worst part of getting a connecting flight is the internal flight, as much as I had no problem flying with US Airways, the 5 hr 30 min flight from Philly to Vegas just seemed such a drag, so second time ariound I made sure I had a good book with me.

Iam flying with Thomas Cook, I have flown with them in europe and never had any problems with them, and it will be nice to arrive in Vegas in daylight.

15. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I currently live in Germany. Last summer I had a direct flight out of Frankfurt on Condor Airlines. Flight time was 11.5 hours going to Vegas and 10.5 back to Frankfurt. I will be doing the same this July. Condor uses a 767-300 on long haul flights. I pay for premium economy and used cc points to upgrade to comfort class which is business class.

For me I want to get there as fast as possible and not have to deal with possible delays with a connection. I would also prefer going through customs in Vegas at the new terminal 3 vs customs in Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta etc.

For me I take direct flights whenever I can.

16. beaumontbhoy

beaumontbhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From dublin and last trip to vegas went via gatwick with virgin and this time with ba at gatwick. Would prefer a long flight then a long layover when tired already

17. blackjacker2

blackjacker2 Never ever play 6:5, it is not blackjack

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi

I would recommend direct only. I am taking the Virgin flight from Manchester in a few days. I have done changes in Atalanta and Chicago before and vowed never to do it again. Door to door my worst experience was 22 hours which was changing in Atlanta, couldn't land due to heavy rain, missed connection, as well as horrendous problems getting through immigration, baggage claim, customs, train to other terminal, re-booking etc etc. Took us days to recover!

I'll be interested to hear what that Thomas Cook flight is like, given comment from from another post.

18. Mike40

Mike40 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Considering Thomas Cook are laying off 1000's of staff and are struggling with finances, I might be worried about booking with them at the moment.....!!

19. redsdog

redsdog Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi there

Yup ive flown the Virgin direct flight from Manchester to Vegas the past few years we have travelled. Its decent and the new Premium Economy cabins are on all those planes now. Defo worth the extra few £ to upgrade if you can.

In the past I've flown via Chicago and also New York - never ever again. 2 hr lay over in New York was ok - Chicago was a nightmare. Direct or nothing for me now.

The Thomas cook flights are a nightmare experience. You cant book premium outbound due to taxes so they allocate it randomly. If you do book premium it is inbound only. If you can tolerate the poor quality its a cheap flight but personally i'd rather pay the touch extra and go with Virgin. Virgin Economy far better than Thomas Cook.

A cool little tip if you fly fairly often to Vegas - join the Virgin flying club. We booked 2 flights in premium and accrued enough points for a free return upgrade to upper class for our next trip. :beer:

Reds

20. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Difference between non-stop and direct

In airline jargon direct means stopping somewhere and discharging or picking up passengers,staying on the same plane but can be time consuming .
    Non-stop means just that ,make sure thats what you are on.
    I know its a technicality ,most people dont know the difference but if someone from the airline called it a direct flight,I would check that out.
    I dont know if many carriers do direct flights these days since I 've been out of the travel bizz,but its better than connecting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.