1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

GregRio RIP

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by westie, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He will be missed.

Beth

2. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delo found the following remembrance of Greg by his cousin Bruce Tambling that I think is worth sharing

Cousin Greg

Greg Reiten

I just found out my cousin Greg passed away from cancer today, 02/20/12, in Walnut Creek, CA. It happened very quickly.

Greg was a MAJOR musical influence in my life. I remember watching his bands rehearse when I was only about 8 years old. Totally entranced and enchanted, my parents had to drag me away! Greg performed and produced on many albums and even had his own radio show in Richland Washington. In the Bay Area, he was active with the Northern California Songwriters Association and collaborated with Robert Berry of SoundTek Studios on many projects. Greg played every instrument, (guitars, drums, keyboards etc.) sang lead and harmony, and could write original songs all day long with a never-ending flow of creative ideas.

A prolific artist in many mediums, he had a full pottery and ceramics studio and sold his pieces at top exhibits and art fairs in California. He could work magic at a Potter's Wheel, and made it look so easy. This actually influenced our entire family and inspired my mother to set up a ceramics kiln in our back yard and my brother Doug to pursue a side career as ceramics artist. Mom went on to launch a family business, TamArt, to sell her ceramic creations. Doug continues to output an incredible amount of pottery and ceramics as he experiments with new glazing techniques year after year - often involving family adventures to the beach for Pit Firing Ceremonies! I doubt any of that would have happened without Greg's influence. To be honest, whenever we would hold a Tambling piece next to a Greg Reiten piece we would always ask "How does Greg do it?!" Greg signed his work with Greiten, and everything he created was imbued with his unique style and technical mastery.

When I was 12 years old, Greg taught me how to play acoustic guitar starting with Puff the Magic Dragon and Alice's Restaurant. I looked up to him as a mentor and role model.

Early in his career, Greg began working at Matson, one of the leading ocean transportation companies of the world. Since Greg was so meticulous and very organized he advanced into a high end management position. This career was a good fit as it provided the financial security many artists find elusive. The flexible work schedule and generous vacations granted him time and freedom for artistic and creative pursuits like writing music and remodeling his house. I will never forget Greg's house in the Oakland Hills. It was like an art exhibit where every square inch was filled with beauty, vibrant colors, fresh flowers and collections of his sculptures, paintings, tapestries, photography and ceramics. And, of course, there were musical instruments everywhere.

When Greg started getting into recording back in the 80's, he actually purchased MY entire analog 8 track recording studio (for thousands of dollars as I was upgrading to 16 tracks) and built a beautiful studio in his home in the Oakland hills. Here I was able to be the mentor for Greg! We spent some magical moments setting up his studio. I taught him the basics of audio engineering and even helped mix some songs. His home studio evolved into a commercial facility and he recorded many professional bands and solo artists in the East Bay. He was always more of a producer than recording engineer and would often end up playing on client's tracks.

Greg loved Las Vegas, and knew it like the back of his hand. He even published a monthly newsletter on travel tips for Vegas. A few years ago I went to Vegas to see The Beatles Love show with Cirque du Soleil. Greg set everything up for us including where to stay, recommended AMAZING seats, and told us all the cool, must see places. Previously, my only experience in Vegas was at trade shows so I never had time to venture off from the Convention Center. But Greg turned me on to the larger than life magnificence of Vegas! It was a spectacular experience in my life that I will never forget. The state of the art music technology of Cirque du Soleil and Celine Dion were beyond anything I have ever seen. Amazing, transformative, over the top, inspiring learning experience.

We are reminded that life is indeed short and every moment very precious. I don't profess to understand the mysteries of the universe or what happens after physical death. But the essence of all that Greg is remains a very strong gift in my life and I can feel his profound influence engulf and interpenetrate the very fibers of my entire being. Thanks Greg. Rock on!

3. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RIP GregRIO!

4. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember posting and asking Greg which Cirque show should I see first and he said Mystere and I did...this ended up being my favorite Cirque show....he will be missed...RIP Greg.

5. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thru his knowledge, wit, and humor Gregrio came across as someone we all would like to know personally.

I didn't know he was sick with cancer and am shocked and sad.

He will be missed by all. Rest in peace Gregrio.

6. nubia11

nubia11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very sorry to hear that Greg passed. My heart goes out to his family.

7. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sad to hear

What a great guy

8. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

I'm sure he's still following us from somewhere.

9. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am so saddened to read about Greg's passing! I hope you have the best seats in the house in heaven Greg!!:eek:

10. markadele

markadele Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RIP Greg you will be missed

11. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, I'm pretty stunned by the news. I sought his advice several times and he was always more than willing to help out.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. RIP Greg.

12. Sklem211

Sklem211 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is very sad news indeed. Greg was very knowledgeable and a true example of what these message boards are all about. He will be missed! My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

RIP Greg

13. sam

sam Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just thinking the other day that I had not seen any postings from Greg for a while. This is very sad, just a true gentleman and very willing to share all of the knowledge regarding the arts and entertainment. He will be remembered very fondly.

14. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

If there wasn't such a thing as the Interent, none of us would had our life enhanced by Greg. It's mind-boggling to reflect on the impact others have had on us through cyber space.
    I feel like I've known Greg for a lot of years, even though I don't know him in person.

15. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So sorry to hear of Greg's passing. He contributed a lot to this board over the years, and I always knew that I could count on his advice to be spot on, especially when it came to shows and seating. Here's hoping that he's got the best seat in the house in the hereafter!

16. ABQJeff

ABQJeff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very sorry to hear of this. I will miss him.

17. Lori R

Lori R Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am most saddened by this news. Although I knew it was coming, sooner or later, it is having its effect. As I poured a drink for a toast to his memory, a poem emerged:

I pour a glass of Merlot
    Not the cheap stuff
    Not tonight
    He'd say I deserved the good stuff
    I lift my glass
    To you, my friend
    To talent and creativity
    To a kind soul
    To what you have freely given:
    the wisdom
    the advice
    the humor
    the friendship
    To what I hope:
    you didn't have much pain at the end
    you knew how much, how very much you were respected
    you knew how many people called you friend and never met you
    To the present:
    so many people pouring out their hearts
    weeping
    shocked
    empty
    To the future:
    without our advance guard for the shows
    withour your gentle humor
    without your verbal hugs
    with resolve to carry on
    with resolve to remember the laughter
    with resolve to appreciate more while we have the time
    with resolve to live up to your standards:
    a gentleman
    a scholar
    a musician
    an artist
    We will fall short but, in doing so,
    We keep you with us:
    in our hearts
    in our minds
    in our purpose
    and especially, most especially, in the audience.
    To you, Greg. It wasn't enough time.

18. delo

delo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for posting that, Lori..A great tribute to Greg.

19. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed thanks for posting that Lori, I'm drinking for Greg tonight. He was the go to guy for show info. I always learned a lot from his insight. I will certainly miss is knowledge, experience, and experience.

20. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope someone passes all of these comments along to his friends & family. Many folks think of internet forums/"chat boards" as a big waste of time. This thread is a great example of the lives he touched personally, and how he helped so many people. Many folks will post a question online and then never bother to come back and thank someone for answering it (I'm sure I'm guilty as well). I hope he understood that what he shared with us was appreciated.

RIP Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.