1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

GregRio RIP

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by westie, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am sorry to inform members of this board of the passing of Greg Reiten, aka GregRio. He passed away a week ago after a short battle with cancer. Ever the planner; upon being diagnosed, Greg immediately began to get his financial affairs in order, made preliminary contact with a hospice and asked me to let people know of his passing.

Greg was one of the most valuable members of this and other Las Vegas boards. His knowledge of the theater and music was unmatched. He was always ready to respond to requests for recommendations and advice. I found his show reviews to be both informative and highly entertaining.

On a more personal level, I am going to miss having breakfast with him in Las Vegas which had become a tradition whenever our trips coincided. He was always upbeat and I feel very fortunate to have known him.

In the future whenever I see an empty seat in a theater, I am going to think just maybe Greg is occupying it.

May God bless him.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW... how sad... his classy posts were enjoyed by ALL!

A sobering reminder of how fragile life is and to enjoy it to the fullest. Sure sounds like he did!

3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just getting ready to post this. You beat me again, Westie.

This is so sad and such a loss to our board. He was our "show guru" for sure and will be missed by so many of us.

RIP Greg

4. VegasGarden

VegasGarden Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am so very sorry to read this news. My regards to him.

I was an appreciative Reader.

5. bigblue1

bigblue1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He was a very informative poster. He will be missed.

6. kiwiboy1

kiwiboy1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really enjoyed GregRio's posts. Very sad to hear that he is gone.

7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, so sorry to hear about this.

Greg was a fountain of show information and really made this forum in particular go with his frequent reviews and detailed advise. He was the guy who had seen it all, seen it from different seats, and could give you the inside scoop.

He will be missed.

RIP, Greg.

8. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry to hear this ..I really enjoyed reading his posts and everyone of them was very well written and understandable to peeps that were asking for advice or just him doing a review of any places that he visited...

I bid you peace GregRio

9. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am so sad to read this. I genuinely enjoyed his posts, and his spot on advice enhanced several of my trips. I wish I could have met and I will miss his presence here.

10. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    May a true gentleman rest in peace......

11. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is a tribute to him that I picked up on his facebook page

I received word today of the passing of RHS alum Greg Reitan (69) on Feb. 21st due to lung cancer. He had been a long term resident of the bay area in California and was residing in Walnut Creek at the time of his death. The sixties in Richland (and everywhere in the country for that matter) was the decade in which a large part of our generation came of age and great change was occurring. The music scene was obviously a big part of all that. Greg was a major player in the Tri-Cities live music culture and a huge contributor to it. He organized and led bands such as The Esquires, The Parrots, Grandaff, Lenore and Flesh for years and years. He sang, played guitar and drums. His bands were always booked and working mainly through his efforts and many fine local musicians honed their skills in bands Greg put together. He worked his talented rear end off for his music and his passion was a blessing to many, many of us who attended RTA dances at the old Community House, or CYA dances at Christ the King, or Battles of the Bands at the Richland Roller Rink, or RHS post-game mixers in the girl’s gym, or homecomings, senior parties etc. The first live band I ever saw was a performance by Greg’s Esquires in the compound behind Chief Jo for our eighth grade party. I couldn’t imagine any activity so certain to ruin forever what little self esteem existed in the soul of an insecure 14-year-old than getting up in front of the entire class and singing…loudly…through a PA system. Well, Greg and his band totally nailed it, blew everybody away performing tunes like Gloria, Midnight Hour and House of the Rising Sun and changed my perspective of the power of performance forever. Greg always had a band and that band was always working because of him. Greg was also a talented artist and created posters, band graphics and silk screened T-shirts. He even created custom band letterheads for booking and contract communications. Examples of his work exist in several of the RHS Columbian yearbooks from ’66 – ’69. I will miss Greg quite a lot but I will never forget him. He made an indelible impression on many and I’m sure that for those of us who were part of the music scene in ‘60s Richland, he will be remembered as talented, innovative, dedicated and part of the extended family which we comprised.
    RIP (Rock in Peace) Greg Reitan January 19th, 1950 – February 20th, 2013

12. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RIP to the man who always knew the best seat in the house for every single show.

13. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is sad news.

He had the best information on shows and seats hands down.

We will miss him.

14. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Such sad news. Greg was a tremendous asset to this board and seemed like a heckuva nice guy, too. He will certainly be missed.

Rest in peace, GregRio

15. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very sad. I remember Greg helping with me show tips when I first joined this Board a few years ago. He will certainly be missed. :nworthy:

16. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RIP. Never met or knew the guy, but he was on my mental list of people it would be great to share a beer with.

17. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Such a nice helpful guy. Always ready to give advice to us all on Vegas shows. He will be sadly missed. So sorry to hear this news. We will all remember his guidance when we sit in the best seats in the house.

Corinne

18. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    he certainly was a fantastic guy.

at least his suffering is over. may he R.I.P.

19. gtomew

gtomew Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never got to meet this man in person but on this board I felt like I
    knew him always a big help with my Rio questions,thanks again and rest in peace.

20. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plus who to contact at the venue for personal assistance ,

Sorry to hear RIP GregRio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.