1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Main Street Station - what room type?

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by imwired, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually stay at the Golden Nugget when we go downtown. We like the rooms but the VP has been really bad for us. So we're thinking of staying at Main Street next visit. I believe some people here have complained about noise from street/trains.
    Any suggestions on what type of room to request or what part of hotel?
    High floor? Facing back?
    thanks

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You want a high floor, odd numbered room. I can't remember for sure.. I think it's the lower numbered rooms that are closer to Main Street than the freeway.

So 709 is sort of in the middle of the hall, on the 7th floor, facing FSE. 701 would be at the end of the hall closest to Main St and 719 (I think) is closest to the train tracks/freeway.

Someone please correct me if I have it backwards on the direction they start the room numbers. :) Hope this helps you.

3. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the quick response Sonya! I'll keep my eye open to see if anyone else has input.

4. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The low numbered rooms (i.e, xx01, xx02) are toward the front (Main Street) and the high numbered rooms are toward the back (train tracks). The highway runs along the north side, which are the even numbered rooms. Confusing, I know. I personally like the low numbered even rooms b/c the highway helps to drown out some of the train and street noise that will be present regardless of which room you get, but I think I am in the minority b/c some people are bothered by the highway noise.

5. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess if you dont live near any noise at home it might bother you, but I have never been bothered by any noise when staying anywhere downtown like MSS or the Plaza. I have stayed on both sides of the building, but unless you are a really light sleeper, it shouldnt bother you at all. I am not a light or heavy sleeper either way, but things like trains and trucks on a highway really dont bother me much. Your best bet at MSS is just to ask at the desk for one of their more quiet rooms, they shoudl be able to help you out from there.

6. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks all
    asking the front desk for a quiet room on a high floor may be easiest approach.
    I'm not bothered by droning noise like A/C (or maybe highway). But I'm the kind who is VERY much bothered by noise like someone walking above or people making noise in the halls.
    I don't sleep heavily esp on travel and I'm quite sure a train would wake me up.
    I'll take all your comments under advisement and try to get a quiet room.

7. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The one thing about the MSS, the train will blow its horn but not right beside the hotel per say. The crossings are at least a little ways down form the hotel, so its not like the trains are blaring as they go by all the time!

8. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we're probably just staying one night so it's not a huge deal
    but do the trains go by frequently or is it just one or two during the night? (say 10PM to 5AM; this will probably be last night of our trip and if it is, DH will insist on getting up early the following morning)

9. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah one or two a night normally, really all depends on the train schedule, but I cant say I have ever had a night where trains were just going by all night keeping me up. Granted I usually climb into bed about 3-4am when I am in Vegas, and after a few cocktails, a train could probably run through the room and I might not hear it! I think you will be good, try and get a room facing away from the tracks and up higher and you should be just fine!

10. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always request an "01" room, at the far east end (Main Street) facing south toward the Plaza. Some are non-smoking King bed rooms, like 1401, 1501, 1601, and some are smoking king bed rooms, like 501 which we had to take on Feb. 1, but there was no smell at all, plus we always have an aerosol spray.

The "02" room (evens) are the north facing rooms, looking at the freeway.

11. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks! do request this with reservations or wait until check-in?

12. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL....wish I could sleep as soundly as that

13. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The noise has never been an issue for me on either side.

My biggest problem is the lack of blackout blinds. They have California shutters. I take night sleep shades along.

14. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's interesting.....we find the shutters are better than the drapes which usually have a crack letting light in
    but we're not up all night so we're not sleeping that late (usually)

15. jh46

jh46 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer the highway noise to the train noise. Highway noise is like white noise to me. The first time I stayed at MSS, they gave me a room right next to the tracks on a low floor. I didn't think anything of it until I returned to my room at 530am, after a fun night of gambling, and found that there was an train engine idling right outside my window. It sounded like it actually in my room! They had no other rooms available at that time of the morning but I was able to move later that day.

Also, I don't mind the shutters. I always flip them upward and then run my hand upward on the slats to get them closed even tighter. Any light that peeks through shines on the ceiling instead of my face.

16. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can always "request" a certain room when making your reservation, but it will never be guaranteed. Sometimes, when I check in, I remind them of my request, like maybe #1001. If that's already taken, I start asking, "what about 1101 or 1201, or 1301, or 1401, etc. etc. ?"

Lately, I've had my host at MSS put in my requested room, with a "block" on that room.

17. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We like the shutters at MSS, and at night, they let in just enough of a sliver of light ... so we can find our way to the bathroom during the middle of the night. :thumbsup:

18. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is this "sleeping while its dark" when in Vegas you speak of?:evillaugh

19. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are 68 yr.old seniors ... and are asleep by 11:00 pm. :eek:

20. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I shuddered to think about the shutters that I read about because light will wake me up. But I did as you did, running my hand along them to tighten them. It wasn't totally dark, but good enough for me.

My friend stayed on the freeway side. It definitely bothered him. I told him, "You should have asked for the side I stayed on!" He was not amused by my throwing my knowledge of all things Vegas at him. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.