1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The most honest 3 minutes in TV history

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is from the fictional show, The Newsroom on HBO. However mods, I don't think there is anything political in this video.

Great show btw!:thumbsup: Complaining to Time Warner and threatening to switch to DirecTv got us HBO free for a year and a $30 reduction per month in our triple bundle. New price $140 for all three.

We just finished watching the first season of The Newsroom on HBO-On Demand.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ML3qYHWRIZk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny. I grew up in Minnesota, went to public schools in Minneapolis and graduated with what I thought was a balanced education, but when I started doing research as a hobby I found out that 90% of the things I was taught in school were really flat out lies and propaganda.
    The computer age gives us all access to the worlds biggest library, open 24 hours a day and when you start reading the real unvarnished history you will never be or think the same way again.
    I highly recommend zerohedge.com, jsmineset.com, sgtreport.com and whatreallyhappened.com as a starting point on your continuing education.

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good point.

Something to keep in mind is that since the creation of radio, the government has controlled what "news" we here.

Until the last 10 years or so, you got your information from who they told you was the most trusted man in America. Only now do we see that there has been a serious bias leaning one direction this whole time.

Just ask yourself, even with 2 wars going on right recenty, do you think that people would be willing to ration food and supplies to support them?

The answer is no and the reason is not that we are spolied but its because we know that we dont need to. Had we been told we had to and had no way to independantly verify it, then we would have accepted it.

I feel bad for those people who needlessly had to go through that.

here is another example of what we all went through in the 70's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Handy Hints

We all need to just call over and over until we get the best discounts on Cable t.v., Telephones, cell phones, etc.

I use lots of sugar and nice words to get real personal with the rep that I am talking with. I may get what I want or not. So..... I just call back again and talk to someone else. I end up getting a better rate.

It is true that times are changing and we really don't need a land phone if we have a cell phone. We don't need a computer if our fancy cell phone have internet service. We don't need a wrist-watch because our cell phones have the time on them. We don't need cable for t.v. if we are able to watch t.v. on
    our computers.

I am an old senior and I plan to cut out a lot of the services by next year unless the Cable company and telephone company cuts down the service rates for us seniors on a budget.

I bought me a new Virgin cell phone made by Samsung at Target store for just $9.99. It is a beautiful phone and has internet. I only pay $20. quarterly.
    What a deal! Lucy

5. angelo

angelo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    America was really the greatest country in the world years ago. And I don't want to say that because I am not an American. I was living in American as a child. I remember its best period in the end of the 1980s.

6. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    None of the young people I work with have cable television. My condo association just held a vote on keeping cable, because the younger people moving in do not see the need for it. Unless the cable and dish suppliers do something to lower the cost, or improve what they offer, I do not see them being in business 20 years from now.

7. Dpin300

Dpin300 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to this list America is still the best in some things:

List of top international rankings by country

For example:

United States Highest annual prevalence of cocaine use, 2.8% of population
    United States Highest incarceration rate, 760 prisoners per 100000 people
    United States Most people in prison, 2,310,984 prisoners
    United States Most privately owned firearms per capita, 90 per 100 population
    United States Most privately owned firearms in total, 270 million

Okay not the best examples but this might cheer you up:

Most billionaires, 359

8. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked the newsroom initially, but like all Aaron Sorkin series' it is essentially just a vessel for his self-righteousness. Unlike the West Wing though, this one is also a bit pompous and over the top.

9. richardinbc

richardinbc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    List of top international rankings by country

Thanks Dpin300 for that link, just spent about 15 minutes going through it.

I always seem to learn something new from this forum.

10. Dpin300

Dpin300 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I've learned lots of stuff too thanks to this site. Most is useless information but I like facts and figures.

11. AndyAkeko

AndyAkeko Time magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mean most newscasts don't lead with "Here's what we should have revealed last year" and pick apart the financing of an obscure overseas Presidential trip? That every guest who comes on his show has no comeback to the anchor's "gotcha" moment and confess that they've been dupes all along? That the anchorman handles a nightly one-hour newscast without a teleprompter and only an executive producer talking in his earpiece?

But that's Sorkin, and that's leaving out his politics. He flies past pomposity and gets straight into pure Fantasy.

12. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Joe, I wish I had said that, I wish I knew that word for word, and could recite it back. Unfortuately, I don't agree that it is not political. I would also say that it comes from greed at the top, and lack of critical thinking at the bottom, the last decade has really shown what a disaster we all have reaped, yet for me there is a glimmer of sanity.

American exceptionalism, my ass.

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
  13. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Much agreed, but very one sided as well to which side they show, no better than any of the MSM as far as reporting the entire truth.

14. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Jeff Daniels !
    My brother was on a movie set ( for a period of time )
    w/ Jeff Daniels --
    " Kramer vs. Kramer "
    He shot baskets w/ Jeff Daniels and said
    he was a nice person -- not a big ego guy.

15. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the show he has a prompter (although there was an episode or two where he had to go without).

16. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, first, lets be fair. It is an entertainment TV show. They may base storylines on real, old news, but it has no set allegiance to balance or truth.

That being said, you are right in as much as it hurts the plausibility of the show. I can suspend disbelief on a principled moderate republican anchor who is disgusted by nonsense emanating from new factions of his own party. The notion that he would never find or expose nonsense from the other side of the aisle, though, stretches credulity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.