1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM Resorts: Airline Reimbursement?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by FJD, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJD

FJD Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently visited a LV MGM Resorts property on two occasions:

On my first visit, I broke even--and when I informed my host at the end of my stay that my host at the Beau Rivage comps all my airfare in advance, she graciously gave me an amount of FreePlay at the end of my stay that was close to my airfare value (after racking up about 275,000 Tier over a three-day stay).

On my next visit, I won high four figures and when it came time to check out and assess my play (which was actually more this time: about 325,000 Tier or $435 of Point Play over a three-day stay), she informed me they only offer the FreePlay for players who've had a losing trip.

When I questioned her why I was given the $400 on the first trip (which again was break even), she basically stammered a bit, but what I gleaned out of the conversation was that it's discretionary...so in other words, that discretion wouldn't be extended to me this trip because of the fact I won.

Is this normal or am did I get screwed on this/should I find another host; how does MGM Resorts handle airfare reimbursement in LV (vs. the in-advance reimbursement I mentioned at the Beau)?

In other words: based on my first trip, I thought airline reimbursement/FreePlay awards was the norm based on your play only--not whether you won or lost.

I had $350 in Food & Beverage and I didn't even use all that (in case that matters).

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. Naturaleight

Naturaleight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny you should start a topic on this because I was going to ask a question about this as well. My host over at one of the lower tiered MGM properties recently told me:

"A player must be approved for airfare by a Director. If they are approved they forfeit all free.play in the future. This is a new Corporate policy."

Anyone else hear about this?

3. sailboat310

sailboat310 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I just startrd playing at mgm properties this year, specifically the aria. What ive been told is that airfare reimbursement is for losing losing trips only. The host on duty was a real ass and said why ask for airfare when your playing with our money....

As I have never stayed at mgm properties, I thought this was very odd. However some other members on this board have stated that the bellagio and mgm still do offer airfare.

Also was told that they have done away with promo chips period...

4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    first of all, airfare at the Beau works completely different than airfare in Vegas. at the Beau they are allowed to comp you upfront if you warrant it. in my case they will comp up to $600 per person upfront. either they will book it for me or I can book it and bring the receipt and they will give me cash. but it's never a question and doesn't matter about my play that current trip.

in Vegas it's always done at the end of the trip. it doesn't necessarily require a losing trip, but it does require that you have theo left over after all comps have been made. because of this, most players don't qualify unless they've had a losing trip. but I've been given airfare on winning trips multiple times when I've had a ton of play and a high theo. in those cases I had 30-45k theo for a 3-4 day trip, so even after my suite and all my F&B, i still had comps left over and was given $3k airfare.

but most of the time I've gotten airfare has been on losing trips and that is what a lot of hosts say. but the bottom line is everything is done based on theo. if you have enough, you can get anything. but some hosts will cheap out on you because it is discretionary and the less they comp you, the better their numbers look to their boss.

5. FJD

FJD Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious how I make a rough calculation of my theo (and if the 325,000 Tier & $425 I earned in Point Play, all done on traditional 2 & 3 coin slots over 3 days) should have most likely qualified for reimbursement?

Had a Tower One-Bedroom suite & didn't even use all $350 of my F&B.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  6. Kickin

Kickin Flea

At 10 tier credits per $3 coin-in on those type of slots you had around $100k coin-in. Sounds like you were probably playing $1 or higher slots so your theo was likely in the 5k range (more or less).....so nowhere near the type of theo shifter mentions.

I wouldn't read too much into the freeplay she gave you on your first trip. Its not considered a "hard comp" for them even though it may be equivalent to cash for you. I'd venture to say the vast majority of MGM players here get some amount of freeplay as part of their offers. In fact it may have been something that was already in an offer for you anyway and she just activated it.

Also, others would know better, but I can't imagine there's even a remote chance of getting airfare reimbursed before you even qualify for RFB.....but I may be wrong.

7. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You got a sweet deal on your first trip...probably more of a goodwill gesture more than anything. I can vouch for others who have said MGM "airfare" is largely loss-based. Actual loss, not theoretical. Of course, if you walk in and make one $20k wager and lose, they're not going to give you $500 in airfare reimbursement. In my case, I typically average 500k to 1m TC's per trip and only receive airfare or discount on credit payoff when my actual loss exceeds $20k. Last trip I had a nice $30k loss going into the last evening and ended up winning $40k that night and the next morning. On the brightside I didn't have to tip on a $20k jackpot when I told them just apply it to my markers.

Kickin is right, you're not going to get airfare before RFB, so you probably should live it up a bit more on your visit and then ask about airfare when you have a healthy 5-figure trip loss.

8. JDinTN

JDinTN MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hosts can just add freeplay on their own??

I never knew that. I always thought that was purely a corporate thing that was rationed out.

FJD on the trip where your host gave you the $400 freeplay did you already have some coming in that you used or did you have zero freeplay to start with?

9. FJD

FJD Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry all: forgot to mention I came in on a Quarterly mailer offer both times: $700 in Freeplay, $350 in Food & Beverage, 4 nights in a suite, and two generic show tickets.

Played the $5, $10, and $25 slots exclusively (traditional 2 & 3 coin non-progressives--IE., Double Diamond, etc.).

Many thanks,

FJD

10. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shifter is right. The Beau is different and operates under their own rules including a/f, promos, and f/p. He's a little off when he says Vegas doesn't do a/f upfront, b/c they do (for me), but that goes back to what your worth to each property is. Again, everyone is different.

As for another poster, some of my properties will try to take my upfront a/f off of my discount if i have a losing trip. This often raises my blood pressure and depending on the host, threatens our future relationship. That said, they are supposed to subtract for it should you lose and seek further discounts.

11. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah, i was oversimplifying. they also do it upfront for another one of my buddies. but that's because he's a 200k player and they know his play is going to be good for it every trip. for me it's hit or miss each trip, so they wait and see. but if you have a good relationship with the host and he knows you're good for it every trip, he's not going to bust your balls about doing it upfront.

12. Naturaleight

Naturaleight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can anyone confirm or deny that its a new MGM policy that you forfeit freeplay if you take airfare reimbursement?

13. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is NOT a coporate policy. I assure you. Now, if your host is sticking that to you, i would ask around to see if other hosts are doing that to players of your level. But, its certainly not a policy and sounds more like some bullshit to justify nickel and diming you.

14. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think what you're referring to is the new policy of not eligible for Express Comps if you are eligible for credit discounting. Of course, that policy applies to people who probably never touch their EC's. I don't think we'll know the full extent of how it applies until it is implemented. My host said she hasn't been fully briefed on the changes (which go into effect March 31st), and others have reported mixed results from asking their hosts about it (there are threads about it here).

15. sailboat310

sailboat310 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there anyone on this board that can confirm airfare reimbursement on a winning trip for the aria this year? Ive been told by no less than two separate hosts and the vp of player development that its not possible. Now for international players it is different but um talking domestic only.

16. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been told that at Bellagio recently and Aria and Bellagio generally have more stringent policies about everything. those 2 places have also completely eliminated their promo chip programs, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did this also. where I have been given airfare on winning trips is at MGM, but they also still do promo chips.

17. Naturaleight

Naturaleight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is what she wrote me: "Funny you should ask. A player must be approved for airfare by a Director. If they are approved they forfeit all free.play in the future. This is a new Corporate policy."

18. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hard to believe they'd do that...and hard to believe any player would agree to that deal...but it can't be denied that MGM is really going over the top with the cost cutting.

19. FJD

FJD Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back on topic for this thread: do you all think I got shorted on this trip specifically...and would you look for a new host; based on:

The 325,000 Tier & $425 I earned in Point Play this trip (all done on traditional 2 & 3 coin High Limit slots like Double Diamond over 3 days)?

Again my Quarterly offer was for $700 in Freeplay, $350 of Food &Beverage (didn't use it all), 4 nights in a suite (only stayed 3 in a Tower One Bedroom Suite @ MGM Grand), plus two generic show tickets (that I didn't even use)?

If so, would greatly appreciate any PMs of recommended hosts at MGM Grand.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  20. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recd it on a + trip in May 2012 at aria and in Oct 2012 at bellagio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.