1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Using a router at major Hotels.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by dean_1492, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am wondering if it is possible to use a router at any major Hotels, without knowing the user name and the password. I am not a IT guy, and the laptop I have, that uses XP, and changing all those setting makes me feel uncomfortable. I travel with 2-4 smart phones, iPhones, and samsung. All the routers that I know of, they want a user name and a password for the account, which the motels have, and I am sure they won't give out. So what I was thinking, is to get a cheap router, and use it while in Vegas to avoid and 4G or LTE charges, like I do at home. I know Shock knows the answer, and so does anybody that's in IT more than I am, any answers are appreciated! Thanks.

2. blackjacker2

blackjacker2 Never ever play 6:5, it is not blackjack

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm no IT expert either, but you are probably going to spend more on phone charges plugging that in the hotel phone system. You maybe better paying the resort or Wi-Fi fees than doing what you describe. Others will know better, but it doesn't look like a good plan.

I have researched the subject on this Board and it looks like you can get free WiFi in a few places.

3. Dpin300

Dpin300 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't internet included in your resort fee? This is the case for the Cosmo would expect it for other major hotels also but I'm not sure. If so you'd get the username and password.

I bought this tiny wifi router to use in the hotel. No idea if it'll just work after I connect it and enter the username and password on my phone. Hope so though

4. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get why you want to use a router to avoid 4g charges just connect to the hotels WiFi through their router and avoid your own router all together.if you are at a CET property then you will pay for WiFi but properties with resort fees include it. Either way you gain nothing by using your own router you still need access to the net.

5. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to share the wi-fi on my smartphones. I will pay for the wired internet. I just want to know if there is any routers out there that you don't need a password and a user name.

I want to share the broadband connection with my cells, but not use my laptop as a hotspot.

6. rgerards

rgerards Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    what you are looking for is not a router but a simple accesspoint. I see no reason why that would not work if u have a wired internet connection. I use my laptop to share.

7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first question is:

What type of internet does the hotel offer in its room?

If it is wireless internet access in the room, which more and more hotels are now offering, you don't need to worry about any of this as you can just hook up any and all of your devices to the room's internet (once the internet is activated all your mobile devices should detect the room's wireless network so long as you are in the room. Once you leave the room you will lose access).

If it is actual wired internet then yes, you can use a router.

If it is wired and you want to use a router, then a few things:

First, you will need to hook up a laptop or something to the wired internet that will allow you to launch a web browser where you can enable internet in the room (you have to access the internet page for the hotel, usually just by plugging in your laptop and visiting any page in Internet Explorer, it will redirect you to the internet start page).

Once you have internet access in the room you can then unplug the laptop and plug in your wireless router. You should have this device already configured at home so that all you need to do is just plug it in, once it has internet access you can then just find the wireless network on all your wireless devices.

You keep asking about passwords: any ID or passwords you are being asked for are from your own router, THEY ARE NOT FROM THE HOTEL'S INTERNET.

This is just a basic security setting for the router, its so that you don't set up a wifi network at home and then have all your neighbors leeching your internet access.

Once you have your wireless router hooked in to the internet you will just go to each device and find your network by whatever name you know it as and then enter its password to access its wireless network.

Note that if you don't know the password on your router, IE: you never set it up from its original factory settings, the login and password are likely printed on a sticker on your router.

But this is all stuff you should do at home before going on vacation...

Go out, buy the router you want.
    Plug it in to your home internet.
    Set up your network ID, set your network password.
    Try one or two devices, like your phone, ipad, etc to make sure they can connect to the wireless network you just set up and can access the internet.

When its all good to go, just unplug the router and pack it in your suitcase with its power supply (and you might want to pack along an extra T4 cable just to be safe).

Then when you get to the hotel you would do the above about starting the internet via your laptop, swap the laptop for the router and then on your mobile devices you can just select that you want to reconnect to the new network you set up back home.

8. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Auggie, when I go to my home router, I can select PPoE, Static IP, PPTP, Automatic configuration -DHCP, L2TP, and Telstra Cable. Which one should I use? At home I use PPoE, and I have to have my user name and password. I use a Linksys router.

Now if I remove THAT router, and take it, I would have to change some settings. I have an extra router at home for emergencies, maybe I can use that one, but I am unsure of the settings,

9. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the answer is simply no....

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly, the best bet is to use your laptop as part of an ad-hoc network. You can connect everything through that. Otherwise I'm pretty sure you're talking about making things way more complicated than is necessary.

11. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't figure out why you kept talking about a username/password, but now I understand. at home you have PPPoE DSL. internet at hotels are all DHCP and require no username or password. just select DHCP in the router settings and you're done.

12. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll try that shifter, after initiating the wired internet on my laptop, I'll hook up the router on DHCP, and set the security (WEP etc). See if I can get that to work.

13. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking too: don't forget that you will have to reactivate the internet access after 24hrs, just in case you get it working on the first day and then it mysteriously stops the next day, that'll likely by why :)

And if your router has a web capable browser built in to its admin then you could initiate the internet access with that too. Just thinking about that because I bought a new router about a month and a half ago and was surprised to see it had some no name open source browser built in to its admin panel.

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Find a hotel that has internet included. Hook up as many devices over their wifi that you want.

When we are many hotels, we have 2 iphones, 1 ipad and sometimes one laptop all connected to free wifi.

Those hotels that charge $xx per day per device would be a major issue of course.

15. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel uncomfortable changing the settings, I tried that once, and had to 'system restore' to make it work again. Using a router is more comfortable for me.

16. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do stay at a hotel that charged per device. I know that you stay at MGM/Bellagio, I gave up on their M life program.

17. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They charge PER device at CET. It's $14.95 for the first device, and the same for others.

18. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    in that case, you definitely wouldn't want to logon to the internet with your laptop and then plug in the router. the router has a different MAC address, so will be seen as a different device. you can spoof the router's MAC address to be the same as your laptop, but that's another topic.

but I don't think you'll have a problem just plugging in the router and then using your laptop to logon to the internet through the router. should work just fine.

19. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Um--

Use your smartphone as a hotspot and connect your other devices to it via Wi-Fi. If you’re using a shared data plan, you won’t pay extra for turning on your phone’s hotspot feature. If you’re not on a shared data plan and you have an Android phone, you can use free hotspot software such as Fox.Fi (availble in the Google Play store) to get a connection without giving more money to the carrier..Or do it the hard way..Like your doin

This is why I love Verizon's unlimited data which I was lucky enough to get grandfathered into I never have any worrys

20. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    as a side note, they're forcing you out of that now. I had that because I've had a Verizon smartphone for several years. but I went to upgrade my phone this time and they force you to pick a new limited data plan in order to get the discounted price on the upgrade. so either you pay the outrageous $700 for the new phone or you give up your unlimited data plan. sucks big time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.