1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rental cars going up?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Sam in Ut, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't rented a car in Vegas for several years but this year thought I might .... I now see the days of $10/15 per day for a rental is a thing of the past! Couldn't find a car for 5 days for anything less than $230! Is this the new norm for renting a standard size car or is my week in April (25th - 30th) a busy week?

2. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't look strip or airport. If you search a little further they are more normal pricing. And I haven't seen rates like that since well, only on weekends with Enterprise. See if your company gets a corporate rate. I plugged in our rate numbers at an enterprise strip location and the price went from $50 a day to $21. LOL

3. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try EZ Rent A Car's website. I am getting a mid for 6 days (weekly rate) for $165 total after taxes, and that is with no discount code, and a midsize- not a compact

4. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, I just looked and a midsize is $14 a day for when I will be there. Less than $100 for a Sunday evening through Thursday mid morning. Booked... And thank you!

5. h_upmann

h_upmann Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're shopping too soon. Prices will drop. Check again in March, then book and check back every week until you arrive.

6. AndyAkeko

AndyAkeko Time magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. I'm looking in mid-late April as well and E-Z has been cheapest, but I fully expect some deals to be offered beginning in March. I've made reservations at two places and will likely be rebooking right up until the day I arrive. I look at the rates on a central site like carrentals.com or expedia, but book through the rental agency's website (usually after finding a coupon code on retailmenot.com)

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked our last two rentals (not Vegas) through autoslash.com.
    The neat thing is they continue to monitor the prices and automatically reduce the rental rate if prices drop. They just send an email that the price went down and send a new confirmation number.

Our car in Tampa was booked for 4 days at $87.85, then they just sent an email that it dropped to $80.69. Nothing huge but I didn't have to do anything.

For Phoenix I booked for 1 week at $127.88. They dropped it to $108.50. Then two weeks later, they dropped it again to $103.33. I didn't have to do a thing.

Tampa was with Payless and Phoenix is Advantage. All prices are with taxes and fees. BTW, Dollar wanted $403 for the same car size and dates.

8. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we just got a code off of groupon for Alamo, mid sized car for four days under $90. Couldnt complain!

9. sciesla

sciesla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We will be there April 12-15. Booked a mid size on Alamo for $55 complete with taxes. Booked it las week

10. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! 4 days for $55, well I guess those days of $10 a day rentals are still alive and kicking! Thanks

PS... did you have a coupon or special code?

11. Twinks

Twinks Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband was there last week and rented a midsized from Payless for $11 a day. The insurance added and extra $20 a day though, so it really was $31 a day.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would be 3 days.

13. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    depends on if they are picking up in the morn of the 1st day, if they are and dropping off later the last day, they might get charged for 4 days.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  14. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    EZ is consistently among the cheapest in town. You don't need coupon codes, corporate discount codes, and have to jump through hoops. It is on site, unlike Fox. This is coming from a guy that spent nearly 10 years in the rental car industry with a different company.

15. GENESIS

GENESIS EAT-LOVE-PRAY-INHALE

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going in May 15-20th and ALL the rates are high as hades! Even compacts are over 300 bucks for places such as National (who we always rent from) Enterprise and Alamo. Really what gives? I looked to see if maybe some event was going on during that time, but I didn't see anything. I don't know if I missed something, but the rates are just rediculous!

The cheapest rates are coming from Fox, Advantage and Payless:cry: Been there with all three with very negative experiences and won't go back!
    That said, I see Ez car was mentioned. Is this a good car company? I checked their prices and got a intermediate for 234.00. Hopefully rates will change, but if not and this is a good place to rent I'll just keep it.

16. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep checking back, the prices will really start going up and down as you get closer. The Travel section of Costco.com has been the best place I've found. But check back often, I've seen a price drop by half and within a couple hours it's back to the original price.

17. GENESIS

GENESIS EAT-LOVE-PRAY-INHALE

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you bswim..I will do that as the prices right now are still rediculous imo..

18. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    from my past experience I would guess that you will find lower prices in late april or even early may.

19. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have rented from EZ, and am again next week. They are cheaper than Dollar and Alamo by about $20-$30. I had no problems with them before.

20. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I typically rent from Alamo, and do advance price checking 3 or 4 times a week, starting two months in advance. Using any $25 or $30 discount codes I can find, plus my Alamo "Insider" discount, I have always gotten an all-in total for a weekly rental at less than $150. We just completed a week trip about 8 days ago, with a Toyota Corolla for $116 total ... plus 1200 Rapid Reward points from Southwest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.