1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is business casual different in Vegas then a big city resturant?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by shokhead, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It basically means, among other things, "no jeans" and "no t shirts" and "no athletic footwear"

Decent pair of trousers and a shirt that buttons up, no suit and tie.

Is this Vegas and everywhere else?

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've often worn nice jeans to many places with "business casual" dress codes. Most recently to The Redhead in Chicago, where the doorkeeper was turning away people in t-shirts and sneakers and such.

3. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What specifically in vegas are you referring to? Because if you're going clubbing, they'll enforce the no athletic shoes thing pretty firmly.

4. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    resturant

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's pretty much my understanding...

6. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience with going to restaurants that enforce business casual is pretty limited.

I'm sure there are places that enforce dress code(not talking about clubs). But I also think there are plenty of places that just don't care due to it being a large vacation city. I've worn shorts in a few places that I know I probably wouldn't back home.

Dark jeans I think would be a large exception if this is common for people to get turned away in big cities. I think if you can get into a club, you can get into any steakhouse or restaurant on that caliber.

8. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it really a guideline.
    Doubt they will turn you away unless you were coming in from the pool.

Plus, who wants to dress up to eat and have to worry about getting food on their clothes. :thumbsup:

9. WrongWayWade

WrongWayWade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think golf/polo shirts are also part of the 'approved' list. So yes, that's a pretty good definition.

You probably won't get kicked out in Vegas of a good restaurant, but why would anyone want to be that sloppy? If the entree costs more than $30, you should have a shirt with a collar.

10. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nicest resturants in Maui and you won't find a pair of long pants and the only collars are hawaiian shirts.

11. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, in LV the requirement is largely ignored!

12. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a few of the Wynn restaurants are pretty firm about this, and they have a sign by the hostess station before you enter spelling out the dress code.

13. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maui is not LV which is not NYC. Norms are different.

In better restaurants in LV, particularly on weekends, people tend to dress decently. What that means differs by the individual. I certainly don't think wearing khakis and a polo constitutes dressing up, frankly i think it looks awful, but it will pass as business casual in LV if you really don't care.

Very, very few restaurants will refuse to seat you if you are wearing pants and dress shoes. If you want to go to Guy Savoy or Joel Robuchon wearing shorts, I can't really help you. I have, however, seen jeans and tee shirts at both places--ridiculous in my opinion but accepted. Alex was probably the last place in LV which upheld a real dress code. Le Cirque and Picasso are far more relaxed than they were in 1998-99.

Women are instinctively better at this and tend to dress up when the occasion warrants.

14. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they don't want my money because I'm on vacation, it's hot and I'm clean with a nice button down shirt and nice shorts then cool, many other places will gladly take my money and BTW, I'm really talking about hotel resturants. I get the code for a non hotel resturant and I wasn't comparing Maui, just adding what I thought was interesting. Hard to compare a place and has zero gambling inc no lottery.:wave:

15. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shorts and a button-down, like a long-sleeve Oxford? That's just weird. I can see a camp or Madras or aloha shirt, something button-front.

I've been through way too many of these snob/slob battles here. Bottom line for me is to just use some common sense and not push the envelope. Business casual in a resort environment means slacks and a collared shirt of some type. Can it vary? Of course, but then what someone really is asking anyway is "can I get away with something other?" And that's not really an inquiry into "what does business casual entail?" Slacks and a collared shirt, close-toed shoes.

In urban settings that would mean blazer and in some blazer and tie.

Since someone brought up Maui, I don't know of many places on the islands that go with business casual. "Resort casual" is the way there, and that's where shorts and casual footwear come in. "Collared shirt" in the islands IS a synonym for aloha shirt, too.

Before anyone thinks I'm passing judgment either way, I'm not. It is pretty hard in this day and age, when money is no longer the exclusive domain of the cultured Long Island/Ivy League set, to muster up a cogent, logical argument why someone seated across the room from me in jeans is somehow detracting from my Joel Robuchon experience.

Of course Vegas is lax, and I think anyone here should know innately that what would fly at the Range would not at PRIME; Guy Savoy ain't gonna rock it like Mon Ami Gabi.

16. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good post. Since I don't own slacks or a tie or a jacket then I'd better stick with Mon Ami Gabi.:thumbsup:

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Slacks, you know, chinos/twills, poplins, khakis -- casual cotton-fiber pants. Not just "fancy pants" wool trousers.

18. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have 2 old pairs of levis. One newer pair that I save for the fancy places.:thumbsup:

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

:beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.