1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Online Tax Preparation and E-Filing

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone done this? What was your experience? Which company/software would you recommend?

My tax stuff isn't complicated, so I am thinking of doing my own online this year.

Thanks!

2. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the free online stuff will be a 1040ez.

you just follow the prompts, very easy to do.

if you need to do more complex tax forms, it can do those as well but you will have to pay for them.

Also state taxes can be done online but they cost too.

I have used them but I dont get a refund so i clearly am in no hurry to either send mine in or to have communication with them to start with so i do the old fashioned slow boat method.

I use the "fill in the pdf" method from the govt website. then i mail it in.

something on the conspiracy side. the tax agencies want you to think they are too complex to do yourself. That way you dont question how much they take out or what deductions you are qualified for. Their job is collections, plain and simple, they have no interest in helping you get a refund. their job is to fund the government from your paycheck and they will literally stop at nothing to do it.

private businesses of course like online services are not like that though, they want your business.

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ive been filing online for years, but Canadian taxes so my experience is not likely to help you much.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used Turbo Tax for over 10 years now. I am not comfortable entering the info on-line, so I get the CD every year and prepare them that way.

Then I Efile.

5. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been do H&R Block at home for about 5 years, before that was Turbo Tax. They are both real simple. I switched to H&R just because I think its easier with our rental properties.

6. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto that.

7. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    H&R Block on line for me too. I try to enter my info each year because if you have them import your SS info and address they charge you $20. State costs $30 as well.

Kinda upset with them this year though. They wouldn't let me file my state taxes because they said something about forms not being approved by the state. Then a lady tells me today I can file when the fed accepts my return. So I get the notification and go to file the state.. I get "Ohio isn’t ready to accept your return due to forms that aren’t yet final. Ohio E-filing will be available on February 1st, 2013." yet when I called the state tax office, they said they have been accepting returns already. grrrr

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually buy TurboTax but I had good results with their online site in the past as well as with TaxAct. With the CD versions of TurboTax, you get at least one free eFile.

9. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pay $39 for Turbo Tax

Do the E File fed.and state ,it works fine for me.I'm not running an empire here lol.

10. Carole

Carole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    efile not ready

The same thing is happening in California. I don't think it is the states having the issue, I think the issue is the programs like hr block, turbo tax, etc. all have a tweek that is supposed to be on 1/31 that will allow them to submit the states returns. When I called California tax office they eluded to that without directly saying it. I have used the hr block program for years. It is simple to use and gets the job done without the stress level that filling out the papers you to cause me each year. highly recommend it!

11. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used TurboTax online since 2001. I like that all my returns are online should I need to access the information remotely, which has actually happened a few times.

It is able to handle somewhat complex S Corp, import into individual, and my multiple-state filing needs at a very reasonable cost.

Some of the guys who work with me at the Red Lobster, when tips are down and we can't get any adult film work, will take a 3rd job doing tax work for extra gambling cash.

Just completed all my Fed and states for 2012 and it went off without a hitch despite some special complexities. 100% satisfied with turbotax online.

12. BeeeJay

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the deal with TurboTax states happens every year with all the software programs. Everything is just a little behind this year due to late legislation and form approvals.

It isn't really any "fault" of the tax software companies. They are likely just waiting for the state to run testing on their software and approve it.

I've already filed numerous states which had varying levels of delay. It is only 1/30, so no one should get their panties to tightly bunched over the timing. I'd say it is far more annoying that the IRS is sending refunds out much later the past 2 years than in the the past. :beer:

13. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use Taxslayer.com for my personal taxes and TurboTax for the more complicated estate/trust taxes.

Bill

14. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to everyone for the information!

15. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    tax slayer here too.

may check it out this year and go with an office to confirm as last years tax situation is ugly!!!

16. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    used TurboTax for a decade. never a problem. very easy to fill out. we can't use the easy form. relatively inexpensive. it is a good tool for us. the last two years we've done it all online. easy peasy.

later, GVJ

17. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just came from a tax workshop today. The Feds won't process any 1040's with education credits or itemized deductions that include housing until feb 28. Their computer programs aren't up yet due to the fiscal cliff fiasco. You can submit them, but processing is being held up. I imagine this is also holding up state returns.

Just an FYI...

18. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good news for me then as I have neither on my return. Just hoping to have that extra spending money when I go.

19. BeeeJay

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those BASTARDS!!!!

Based on what the IRS is listing as delayed forms on their website, the very common home mortgage interest deduction on Sch. A does not appear to be a cause for processing delay, the delays appear related to some very uncommon housing related credits calculated on the delayed Form 8396, depreciation, and energy credits. That is good news. Most people will only have the Home Mortgage Interest and Real Estate Tax as their "itemized deductions that include housing", and those appear to not be included at all in the list of delayed items.

The education credits do appear to be causing a wholesale delay screwing any of those folks.

IRS form that 1040 filers can begin filing in mid-February
    Taxpayers using this form can begin filing their tax returns in mid-February after the IRS updates its processing systems.

Form 8863 Education Credits

List of IRS forms that 1040 filers can begin filing in late February or into March 2013
    The following tax forms will be accepted by the IRS in late February or into March after updating forms and completing programming and testing of its processing systems. A specific date will be announced in the near future.

Form 3800 General Business Credit
    Form 4136 Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels
    Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization (Including Information on Listed Property)
    Form 5074 Allocation of Individual Income Tax to Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
    Form 5471 Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Corporations
    Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits
    Form 5735 American Samoa Economic Development Credit
    Form 5884 Work Opportunity Credit
    Form 6478 Credit for Alcohol Used as Fuel
    Form 6765 Credit for Increasing Research Activities
    Form 8396 Mortgage Interest Credit
    Form 8582 Passive Activity Loss Limitations
    Form 8820 Orphan Drug Credit
    Form 8834 Qualified Plug-in Electric and Electric Vehicle Credit
    Form 8839 Qualified Adoption Expenses
    Form 8844 Empowerment Zone and Renewal Community Employment Credit
    Form 8845 Indian Employment Credit
    Form 8859 District of Columbia First-Time Homebuyer Credit
    Form 8864 Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Fuels Credit
    Form 8874 New Markets Credits
    Form 8900 Qualified Railroad Track Maintenance Credit
    Form 8903 Domestic Production Activities Deduction
    Form 8908 Energy Efficient Home Credit
    Form 8909 Energy Efficient Appliance Credit
    Form 8910 Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit
    Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit
    Form 8912 Credit to Holders of Tax Credit Bonds
    Form 8923 Mine Rescue Team Training Credit
    Form 8932 Credit for Employer Differential Wage Payments
    Form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit

20. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget for those of us frugal users who's AGI is less than $57k. You get free tax preparation and free efile online for Federal. Some states, such as mine here in AZ, you get all that free as well. :banana:

Did both of mine with H&R Block online for free last year. I was a Turbo Tax freak, but free is better and H&R Block Online was easy to use.

To get started on your Federal return, go here -----> http://www.freefile.irs.gov/

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.