1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games When should you press point bets in craps?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by kingslender, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingslender

kingslender Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am generally a 6/8 players in craps with the occasional drop onto the field, but lately I've been wanting to play all the non-point numbers. Doing that, what is the consensus on when to press up your bets. Should you only press up your wins if the point is 6 or 8?

2. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One Guy's View

So many people play so many different ways...but for what it's worth, here is how I play:

Like you, I'm a 6 & 8 place-bet player. I only play $5 tables.

I bet $5 on the line & double-odds behind after the point is set.
    I then place a $12 six and a $12 eight.
    I 'same-bet' those through two total wins.
    I then place the 5 & 9 for $10 each.
    I 'same-bet' those through two total wins.

After that, if any number hits, I split the win with that number's 'partner', pressing them up $5 (5/9) or $6 (6/8) at the same time. Then it's 'same-bet' for two total wins on each pair. Then repeat the split press.

Edit to add: I never place the 4 or 10. If the point is either 5-6-8-9, I still go with $10 or $12 on the other number to start.

Annual Spring Trip!
  3. kingslender

kingslender Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i just want to make sure I'm understanding - so you place the 6/8 for $12, then you will go to $24 on both, or if 6 comes up twice will you go to $36 on 6 and keep 8 at $12? Or do you spread your wins, so if you get 4 wins you will always be at:

5 - $20
    6 - $24
    8 - $24
    9 - $20
    ?

4. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No matter how many numbers I place (and depending on the table conditions, I place 6 & 8, place 6 & 8 and buy 4 and 10, or just play the entire line) what I do is simple.

Once I hit the number of place bets that I have, I press the next one. So if I'm just playing 6 & 8 for $30 each, after I hit two, the third one I press that number to $60. If I hit it again, press it to $90. And so on, hopefully up to $300.

If I bet all the numbers, I hit 5 (or 4, if a couple of them were 4s and 10s) and then start pressing the same way with every additional hit.

5. Bossplayer21

Bossplayer21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should probably press right before a hot streak:evillaugh

Everyone will be different, some will press more aggresive than others.
    I like to place the 6 and 8 right after a point is established. Take enough money after a place bet hits to "pay" for it. Two hits ($6 place bets) yields $14...a $2 profit. On the third hit of either I start taking the win and placing the other numbers. $5 on the 9 or 5 and pocket the extra $2. Until I have place bets up on all the inside numbers (5,6,8,9). I'll take a couple of wins from these bets, then I start pressing each up one unit after each hit. Not very aggro, but essentailly i'm feeling my way into a possible heater.

I tend to have a limit on how high I will press, always aware that a 7 out might just be around the corner. Chicken shit I know. For my low rolling self, once each number is up to about $30 ($5 table), I'll just leave it there and collect profit until the roll is over.

6. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As said,everyone is different. here is my approach at a $10 table:

I bet pass line with single odds. After point is set, I pick two numbers and bet the minimum ($10 or $12). I collect the first two wins - as said efore, this pretty much returns what is on the table With the third win, I will say "up a unit" which - for example - takes a 5 up to $15 or an 8 up to $18. I will continue to "up a unit" after each win. After the pass line win, I will add anotherplace bet or two. I continue to increase the numbers that hit by one unit.

I like increasing the bet on the point that hits instead of increasing other place bets. This is because it seems a table will have a "run" on a particular number. I was playing yesterday in AC and one time the six hit 9 times on one shooters roll while the 8 only hit once.
    \
    To each your own.

7. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually start with the pass line, 1x odds and then the 6/8. I don't press until I've made back my initial bet but once I've crossed that threshold I don't stop pressing until the music stops.

If you ever want to be in a position to ride a monster roll, you can't stop pressing once you start. Taking your wins until you've covered your initial bet is just a nice way to manage your bankroll on the 90% of rolls that go no where.

8. kingslender

kingslender Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'm going to pretty much take the advice of betting all the place bets, getting my money off the table and then upping after that. I've never really been a big gambler, but I think I'm going to press it to try and hit a streak and win big - once I hit a press bet, I'll take some winnings and up it a unit.

Worst case, I go through my nut quickly and hit the penny slots with a cigar! Life could be worse.

9. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I place the 6 & 8 for $12 each... after winning $28 from those numbers, on the next 6 or 8 rolled, I press them up evenly... so they both become $18.
    I take two more 'same-bet' wins. The next 6 or 8, I will win $21, so I usually just add the $3 at that point & press them both up to $30.

So it goes like this:

6 & 8 - $12 placed... win $28... press to $18 each...win $42... press to $30 each. (I almost never get the chance to go any higher than that).

5 & 9 - $10 placed... win $28... press to $15 each...win $42... press to $25 each.

If the point is 6 or 8, I still start with $12, win $28, press to $24. (I also take a $5 hardway on either point)
    If the point is 5, I will take the 6, 8 & 9 all at the same time - $12, $12 & $10. When the point is 5, I almost always try what I call a "field-milker" for $5.
    If it hits, I press to $10. Then same-bet - then press to $20 - then same bet...and so on until it goes down. That's really about the only time I ever place a field bet.

Annual Spring Trip!
  10. Bossplayer21

Bossplayer21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to take some of the money form the place bet hits and add to my odds also.

I know I should max out my odds right after a number is set before playing anyhting else, but I like to slowly add to them as the shooter starts hitting numbers.

11. Bondy3

Bondy3 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I NEVER press in craps, because if I do then when my bet gets knocked down I have a tendency to put it back to what it was after I pressed it and not before, so after a short period of time my $30 place bets on 6 and 8 turn into $300 place bets on 6 and 8 and it starts to get expensive to replace them when they keep getting taken down

12. Vinegarjoe

Vinegarjoe Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On a $10.00 game, if the point is not the 6 or 8, I place them for $18.00 each.

I then start a "collect/press progression" on the 6 and 8. The first time either is rolled, I collect. the next 6 or 8, I drop 3 singles and tell the dealer to press both the 6 and 8 to $30.00.

I then collect the next 6 or 8 rolled. If the 6 or 8 is rolled again, I drop a single on the game and tell the dealer to take me to $48.00 each on the 6 and 8.

If it hits at the $48.00 level I collect again.

If it is rolled again I drop 4 singles and tell the dealer to take me to $78.00 each 6 and 8.

If a 6 or 8 is rolled at the $78.00 level, I collect and reduce both to $30.00 each and then would just collect and full press for each number rolled. ( doesn't usually happen that often)

I also use a, "collect, press betting unit progression" on buy bets on the 4 and 10 until I get to $250.00 on each then I will collect 2 times then press both to $500.00.

If I get a hit on a 4 or 10 at the $500.00 level, I collect and reduce back to a quarter and then just press quarter units until the 7 shows.

Everyone has their own betting styles, and win/loss limits. I find myself (now, after 15+ years of throwing dice) to be more conservative with my betting, adopting the adage that slow and steady will win the (long term) race.

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

13. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like this approach as well. It seems that the longer the roll is going - even without making the point - the more likely the shooter will eventually hit his point.

14. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh this is the classic Faux pas!. ALWAYS start a new shooter from your base bet. In fact, after a long roll where my place bets have been pressed up and up, the next shooter seems to always be a quick seven out. Rarely do I see multiple hot shooters back toback.

But never be afraid to go with a hot shooter and press your bets as the roll goes on and on. Collect most of what you get paid, but re-invest some of the winnings!

15. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You understand that this is pure superstition and has absolutely no basis in reality, right?

16. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do a similar strategy as the others although I usually do all of the Inside numbers (5, 6, 8, 9). I start with the minimum on the pass line and then 2-3 times odds behind. Then I place the minimum on the inside. Once I get paid on two numbers, I then bump all of my insides by one unit at the same time. After I get paid twice again, I go up another. Sometimes if it feels like a hot shooter, I might press more often. I keep pressing until the roll is over.

I have thought about not raising everything each time but maybe stick with just the number that hit or that one and their partner for the press.

My own personal funny superstition though. I never say "Press". Just say "Take my inside up 1" and put chips out there. It started one time when I was playing and every time I said the word press, the dreaded seven would come. Now I kind of cringe even when the dealer says it.

17. Bondy3

Bondy3 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my problem is that when I am pressing I am calcuating my new theoretical loss with each throw and keeping a running tally in my head, and I dont like changing the gradient of that curve

18. kingslender

kingslender Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the strategies guys. In practicing a bit on my phone, I've been placing the inside points, but I'm not sure the best way to approach the 4 and 10. Since each number only has 3 possible combinations, is it better to bet the hard 4 and 10 rather than placing the 4 and 10?

19. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no, to your hard-way question.

Hard 4 or 10 = 8 to 1 odds against you

Placed 4 or 10 = 2 to 1 odds against you.

Placing the bets is 4x better than the hardways....of course, the payout is lower.

Annual Spring Trip!
  20. kingslender

kingslender Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I'm thinking its the payout that is throwing me off. If I bet $5 on the 4 and 3 hypothetical 4s come, I win 27 + pulling my $5 leaves me with $32. If I bet $5 on the hard 4 and 3 hypothetical 4's come, only one will be a hard 4 (since combos are 3,1; 1,3; 2,2) meaning I will havehad 3 $5 bets, two lose, one wins $35, meaning I net $30, as follows:

3,1 = lose $5
    1,3 = lose $5
    2,2 = win $35 + pull my $5. Leaves me with $30.

Sorry, I just had to talk myself through that!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.