1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA Early Boarding to cost $40

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Username, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heard on the radio today that SWA is raising it's Early Boarding fee to $40.....not sure if it's each way or round trip...anyone else hear this today ? ? ?

2. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Early bird is still 10 each way. This is a new money-making tactic they are offering these "line upgrades" at the gate at the last minute to folks who are willing to shell out that much.
    I read someone's comment that they are probably really just using it to drive MORE people to use Early Bird, which makes sense...

USBC Nationals
  3. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SO you are saying once you get to the airport you have the option to pay extra to get further up the line ???

4. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is just SWA's version of baggage fees. Another way to nickel and dime a traveller.

5. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I heard on the noon news was that this "special" $40 early boarding was just to "guarantee" a spot in spaces # 1-15 ... which are usually mostly empty due to a lack of Business Select or A-List passengers.

The regular $10 early-bird boarding spots will still begin at A-16.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wrong.

Most people need to take bags. Luckily SWA does not charge.

NOBODY needs to pay extra for seating. Nobody.

To compare these two is wrong.

7. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

This is what I initially read when I first heard this story(this was more than a month ago now). This would be fine with me. Obviously it takes a little value away from my earlybird fee, but I also may gamble more often and not get earlybird with the knowledge that I have a good chance of just paying $40 if I get screwed with my 24 hr checkin.

Basically as long as it is limited(in this case to a max of 15 people) then I'm fine with that. The situation I don't want is that now I'm stuck with a middle seat every time I fly even though I pay for earlybird. This will be the moment I stop flying southwest.

8. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on what you like. For me, having to screw around with where you're going to board makes SWA a nonstarter unless they beat the fare significantly. For a two day trip to vegas, I can do with a carry-on, so there are no bag fees anyway.

Bottom line, it's an extra fee if you want the 'honor' of picking your seat. Other airlines let you pick your seat for free.

And yes, some people DO need to pick their seats. My wife is scared to fly and won't fly without me sitting next to her. My son is autistic and also can't fly alone.

9. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was surprised at how many people brought luggage on the SW flights since they don't charge for bags. We did too..but we had to hurry to catch the WAX bus..don't know what their reasons were.

11. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it is easy, I will do only carry on just so I can get out of the airport quicker.

12. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The difference between business tickets and web only is significantly more than 40 $. To someone who never looks past the wanna get away fares, that is more than I care to consider. But I can see where someone who got the cheap fare and isn't used to the cattle call boarding it would be nothing to pay the 40 $ (mentally adding it to the ticket cost) in order to board in the first 15. It's a crap shoot but heading to Vegas it is just the begining.....

One area I believe could be improved is the "seat saving" when you board and someone is sitting in the middle seat saving the two on each side for late boarders. Unless you are in the last third of the boarding group, you shouldn't have to worry about the center seating but with all the saving going on it is more and more difficult.....plus the multiple early boarders etc. Mooooo!

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmmmm ... Business Select is usually priced far more than $40 above the Wanna Get Away fare, which I'm sure is what most people here buy.

What else does Business Select offer other than the low A numbers and the hoity-toity security line?

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only reason I buy Early Bird is to get a shot at one of the window exit row seats (there's only 3). I've had pretty good luck at it, but I doubt that will continue now.

When I fly JetBlue, I'll pay $50 for an extra space seat, but that's a guaranteed seat, and I get to pick it. No way I'm going to pay $40 just for a shot at one.

15. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well not exactly, the baggage fares are mandatory for checked bags; early boarding is optional. But still another way to get more money.

16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The main thing is that some of those tickets are actually refundable, which some businesses require as an option. They also earn frequent flyer points faster. The rest of the perks like a premium drink and the like are probably not all that important to the people who need that type fare.

17. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $250 to $300 more for early boarding and a "Free" drink is no deal in my eyes....... :(

18. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be in my damn way when I am trying to get off the plane. LOL.

19. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's only for a few days and you pack light, it's more convenient to carry on. No waiting on line at the check-in counter or waiting at the bag claim to see if your bag arrives at all, undamaged, etc.

20. mdlee3_46041

mdlee3_46041 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly with valuables such as an iPad and at least 1 camera, sometimes 2 if I take my video camera also, so I have a carry on even if I fly Southwest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.