1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Manti Te'o, you got some 'splainin to do...

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by danielao, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielao

danielao Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wowzers. This is a "long" read, but it's very well done. Deadspin is on the case of Manti Te'o's "girlfriend"...

Full article

Notre Dame has released a lol statement, which is at the end of the article.

This could be epic levels of crazy.

2. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reading the thread title, I thought this was going to be about his piss poor performance in the NC game.

3. CenterfieldNine

CenterfieldNine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is pretty outrageous. Press conference tonight! We shall see. He even spoke publicly And is now saying she was just an online girlfriend? Haha wow this couldn't get juicier

4. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If someone could give me some cliff notes I will send 100 karma points your way. This all just seems too close to things like Jersey Shore that I simply don't want to read up on this.

5. CenterfieldNine

CenterfieldNine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Basically teo may have been set up with people lying his girlfriend died of leukemia. But he ran with it and it became a whole big feel good story and now it turns out it was a big sham. And he is a big deal college played for notre dame who were in the college championship game

6. danielao

danielao Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jersey Shore is really people getting drunk, having sex, and yelling at each other.

This story is about a made up person getting in a made up car accident dying of made up Leukemia. Maybe.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cliff notes version

There were stories (fed by Te'o and his family for months) about a girlfirend of his that died early in the year.

But the girl did not exist. She was essentially invented on twitter, and it looks like the person doing the twitter thing was a friend of Te'o. The article makes it sounds pretty convincingly that Manti is in on the con and did it for publicity.

Te'o and ND's statements since try to make it sound like Te'o was scammed on twitter and thought he had an online relationship with this girl who didn't exist and thought she really died.

But even if that's true, he's going to have to explain a lot about the stories that came from him and his family. Because no one ever talked to her on the phone, or sent her flowers, or any of the other things he apparently told the press.

9. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's a movie (and now a TV show) about this very thing, which apparently happens a lot to a lot of people, not just national championship quarterbacks. The movie/show is called Catfish, and its on MTV, its much more interesting than anything from that Jersey Shore!

10. MWJ51102

MWJ51102 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen several episodes of that show. Just once I'd like to see the person on the other end of the relationship be who they say they are.

11. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder who the real con artist is in this :ssst:

12. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Manti,

Thanks buddy, you’re the best. :nworthy: I owe you one!

-Lance

13. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually I think Lance WANTS everyone watching and talking when he does the mea culpa.

He wants a new story to take over SATURDAY when all the articles would be tearing apart what he says.

14. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of people are gullible and have been the victim of a Catfish scam (although how you can fall in "love" with someone you have never physically spent time with or laid your actual eyes on is beyond me).

However - what I don't understand is how the scammer convincingly spent all that time in the "hospital" - didn't the article say he called her every night in the hospital and fell asleep on the phone? Don't you have to dial the main number in a hospital to get through to a patient's room? Aren't you supposed to keep cell phones off in a hospital so that they don't interfere with medical equipment?

Also, if someone you "loved" was dying in a hospital bed, wouldn't you at least send flowers or some physical gift or card to the hospital room? Wouldn't he have seen that his gifts were undeliverable? How about making an actual trip to see her if she is that bad off? This just doesn't make sense.

15. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Presumably the narrative (if he ever has to or chooses to go into detail) will be that he thought she was real and really dying, but that he embellished details (ie:lied) when talking about her because he was embarrassed about having an internet romance. Not sure I'd buy that, but that's pretty much his only plausible story.

Of course, he doesn't really HAVE to explain it. I doubt anyone would have any sort of legal case against him. So the main place where he'll have to do fast talking is in the interviews at the combine.

16. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This whole story is a who cares story to me its not like he cheated or used illegal means for personal gain. It is stupid to me that anyone actually cares he hurt nobody and gained no edge or any money its just stupid gossip because people's lives are so boring they have to analyze and destroy others.

17. jwkick

jwkick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to deadspin at nd a fund was set up in her name and about 3000 was collected or pledged.

18. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't follow college football so I didn't know about the melodramatic story about losing his grandmother and his girlfriend on the same day. So all I can say is: Scammed my ass. There are people who date on the internet and do so successfully, but the BMOC on a campus like ND wouldn't be one those people. Then when you add in the anecdotes suggesting they've had interactions in person and there is nothing you can say that convince me he wasn't in on this. I just wonder if he would have been a Heisman finalist without this story going on because it doesn't sound like he's all that as a player.

19. leftcoast

leftcoast Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the truth comes out everyone will understand why he had to put a story and a face to his right hand.:nono::evillaugh

20. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is my theory.

There are many different reasons. All plausible.

> Covering up he is gay. Believe it or not, this a common explanation being floated around.

Yeah. I know. There are easier ways to cover for this. Just walking around campus with a girl. Maybe he is uncomfortable around girls. People don't always use the easiest solution to a problem for whatever reason.

> Attention. I doubt it. He had enough pub.

> Just because. He could be a sociopath. Sociopaths do stuff like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.