1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NYNY

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Dewey090, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So my buddy Lucky Pete writes me that there is this great sale at NYNY. Why the rooms are just $24 ON THE STRIP! He knows I am not going any time soon, but perhaps this great sale will be repeated when I am going. Perhaps I ought to guess at when I might be going to go and book, Pete suggests. I could always cancel or modify.

It's not like I haven't told him about resort fees.
    It's just the way our minds work.

All day long every day I get banners all over my computer for hotel prices that are outrageously cheap deals.

But aren't.

I wrote back and told him to add in the $22.40 resort fee which adds 93% to the advertised price of a room.

I remember it being just about this time one year when Sam's Town on the B Connected site showed a pricing calendar with all weekday rooms January through December on sale for $9.99. I knew this had to be an error, and sure enough before too many fellow board members booked, Sam's Town took it down.
    But they honored my booking.
    Sam's Town has a $4.50 resort fee and I was figuring that $15.70 a night was fine in the spring.
    When I checked out of the hotel, no resort fee was on my bill. I paid the advertised price of $9.99 and tax.
    Somehow, I don't think that practice would happen at NYNY.

And here is an interesting piece of math. The NYNY resort fee is 500% higher than the Sam's Town resort fee.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $46 for a room on the strip is not bad, and that includes internet.

3. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, $49.38 actually, but then who bothers with the mathematics?
    Sound fine to advertise that for $24?

Would you put up with that in the window of your supermarket or at Walmarts?

If this is such a good deal, why not advertise the real price?
    But to get the full irony, you have to know Lucky Pete who has never spent $50 for any room anywhere in Nevada or Arizona or New Mexico. We are on the frugal end of room rates where all our Vegas stays average under $25 a night and many of them under $15.

4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speaking of not bothering with the mathematics...

I notice that you chose to add the tax to the resort fee but not the room rate. Perhaps because 93% makes a more enticing room rate - oops, I mean argument - than the actual 83%? :poke:

5. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still a good price for a room at NYNY.

And it's not news that many vegas hotels charge resort fees. Why do we keep making it a big deal?

6. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait, NYNY has resort fees?

7. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:

I agree. We have beat the Resort fee (both amount and hidden) to death. It is what it is. Don't agree. But....

8. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you make use of stuff like a frig and wi-fi a Resort Fee is cheaper than having to pay for it.

9. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The advertiser chose not to add in the tax to the "advertised' room rate. I reported the number that was sent to the customer. What you pay is 93% higher than what was advertised. But, yes, I guess we ignore tax so often that we just don't bother with it. I always include the tax as just part of the resort fee for those places that charge it. Some places don't charge tax on the resort fee. I like to think of it cleanly so I can use the actual number of dollars the resort fee adds to the bill.

I was thinking about tax, however, when I posted about the $9.99 rooms at Sam's Town, thinking that I needed to keep my mind around how small a tax of $1.20 was compared to what most of us pay and include it in the way I think about room sales. In a cheaper room, I'm often saving more than my mind first estimates.

But I'm chuckling at your joke that 83% hike in what we would have paid without hidden resort fees would not have been an issue at all.

I'll keep kicking reort fees around as long as it is there. I think I still read often about 6/5 blackjack being a rip off and that adds just a percent or two to the vigorish. Those who talk about it hope that some places will keep or start 3/2 again or at the very least it might help someone. It doesn't seem like lies go away when we are silent.
    Unlike NYNY I'm not tossing it on to your desktop. You do have to click on the thread to see the lie protested once again.

And the repetition of thread themes here on the board is very common.

Oh, I'll keep up on the bedbugs too. Same reasons. Consumer awareness and protection.

Sorry if it makes some of you uncomfortable.

I put it out to say again that it sneaks up on even veteran travelers and that while we may think that our minds are not skewed by the advertisement of numbers far lower than what we will pay, we underestimate the fragility of human mentality.

I guess you have to know Lucky Pete to really get the humor (or outrage) in this. He is the best shopper I know and very rarely fooled by anything.

Although I did think it interesing to see they advertised $24 and not $23.99 which is the classic way to confuse first price impressions. Perhaps they had the big lie, so they did not feel they needed the little small lie.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  10. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, if everyone is charged for amenities whether they use them or not, those who do use them don't have to pay full price for the privilege because those who don't use them, subsidize the few who do.
    I"d have no argument with that if amenities were either packaged in the advertised price ( as it is in Harrah's CET places, El Cortez, Super 8, Eastside Cannery, M, )
    I'm not arguing value. I'm arguing honesty.
    Value is relative to taste. Honesty should be universal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  11. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmmm. Beat it to "death" have we? It's dead then?
    That would be nice.

It is what it isn't. Were it what it was, I'd have much less complaint.

12. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would help if you put resort fees in the thread title.

13. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would actually cut the number of posts about resort fees in half if people would stop whining about people whining about resort fees.

14. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i agree with dewey, i think the total price should be what the consumer sees. it isn't industry wide, the casears group doesn't charge the resort fee so the price you see is the price you pay, plus taxes of course.

this isn't any different than what they are making airline and rental car companies do. i just rented a car for a trip in february and it was nice to see the total price so there aren't any surprises at the end.

15. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could not think of any response, and, and and and

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.