1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's going on in May 2013?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by BlueSkadoo, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi! Mom and I go for mothers day in May, but she has decided she wants to play around with the dates. Are there any big conferences in May we should avoid? I've tried googling it and using the "convention calendar" but I know sometimes it leaves off events that could otherwise impact big crowds. Mom HATES crowds, so I try to avoid them, and we avoid weekends as well. Just want to keep mama happy...

2. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were looking at Mothers Day week and the rates weren't too bad...are you sure you want to change? We decided on arriving on Memorial Day (later in the month than normal for us). We have arrived on a Monday holiday twice before and find it pretty slow that week. Everyone comes for the Holiday weekend and so we find tues, weds, thurs pretty dead. By the time we get in from the east coast get our rental, check in, find food....most of the 3 day weekenders have left on Monday. You said you avoid weekends ( we usually do to) just avoid the first week of May especially that weekend. We have been in Vegas the first week the past 3 years and not doing it again. The first saturday includes Kentucky Derby, fight at the MGM (at least every year the past 3), Cinqo de Mayo celebrations....We usually leave on that first saturday...but still busy thurs, fri leading up to it. So avoid the first week and Memorial Day weekend and you may be pretty safe. I just look at the rated calendars for multiple properties and pick the cheapest one.

4. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting that. I used the standard CVB and missed the biggest one for my trip. Almost 85000 the days I'm there in April. Oh crap. I better get the suite they promised or I will be major bummed.

5. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is usually something in May that blows up rates later in the month. There was a big convention mid month that I don't see. I don't know if it's left Vegas or changed it's schedule. But there are also usually some other special events outside of the first weekend, too. You should probably fool around on lasvegas.com to see if anything pops out. It's the special events I would worry about more than the conventions actually. Don't forget, May can be busy just from tourists coming for the weather, too.

6. nubia11

nubia11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like Vegas Uncork'd events are scheduled May 9-12.

7. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Month of May

Cinco de Mayo/ May 5th is a Mexican Celebration and I think that Vegas will have lots of Mexican musicans playing music everywhere during the whole month.

I booked May 13 - 16th at the Flamingo Hotel because it was very affordable.
    During summer time I will have to look for special deals because the tourists
    will be in Vegas even if it is super hot in Vegas. Lucy

8. cha4zz

cha4zz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They're fairly sure that Mayweather will be fighting on 4th May as its been booked at the MGM so that's sure to be busy combined with the Cinco de Mayo events that will be going on.

9. angelo

angelo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "The MoneyShow" and "International Conference on Gambling and Risk Taking" looks interesting to me.

What would your choice be?

10. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mom's thinking sometime in the frame of the 19-25 of May, so we'd hopefully avoid the fight and Cinco De Mayo.

11. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you know the hotel you're staying in?

You can always call them direct and ask them ,they seem to know whats going on in town esp. if it's centered around their property. May is a nice month weather wise,have been there a few times in May. Looking at it for this year as a possibility. Mid week always better than weekends but you know,you can always figure on center strip being crowded . Nice that you take Mom.

12. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RECON is going on then. It's a pretty big conference (probably 35-40k) but where you'll really notice a difference is the higher end resorts and restaurants. The Wynn will be packed on Sunday and Monday nights, reservations will be tough to get at any of the Bellagio restaurants, etc. You won't see much of an effect on the amount of traffic at Excal/Luxor and you shouldn't have a hard time getting a table at Margaritaville.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.