1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

my buffet days over?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by chef, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

The last year or so, I've gotten more and more into a diet laden with vegs, fruits, grains, beans, and less and less with meats and seafood. In fact, I'm close to making the conversion as a lacto-ovo vegetarian.
    However, that really screws up one's enjoyment at the buffet line. You're talking to somone here who could pound down a couple pounds of prime rib without blinking an eye, along with bunch of crab legs and who knows what else.
    I have an upcoming Vegas trip next month and planned on checking out Bachannal and the refurbed Aria, besides the usual buffet haunts.
    Without consuming meat and seafood, I have to wonder if it is worth it anymore?
    Or, do I allow myself to stray while in Vegas.

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes :wink2:

3. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck with the diet, chef. I've been known to visit a few buffets and always planned to hit new buffets on every trip. I've also been watching my diet and don't stray too much these days. I'd pick one, maybe two buffets (depending on the length of your trip, 1 buffet every 3 days or so or say 2 in a week while in town). No buffet is worth going backwards on a new diet. I was making good progress one year until I hit Vegas. Buffets every day. It wasn't just that week. It took me weeks to get back on the diet once I returned home. Splurge once in a while but I'm sure you've discovered, it's the long term healthy eating lifestyle choices that will work. Don't risk it otherwise.

4. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Scott - just so we're on the same page, I'm talking food. I hope you realized that.

5. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To add, if you've been eating these new foods for over a year now, you may have already adjusted your habits and cravings. A buffet or two may not effect your goals if you're able to get back to it afterwards. The trip I described above when I was making progress but then hit the buffet lines, I had only been eating healthy for a few months so these new habits weren't ingrained into my lifestyle yet. After a year, you may find the buffet with pounds of prime rib may not even have the same appeal anymore. But again, nothing wrong with splurging if you can get back on the wagon afterwards.

6. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Discipline my friend. Discipline.

I am not familiar with dieting per se. Is it permitted to take a break?

If so, allow a break. It is LV!

I used to like to drink Pepsis a few times a month. I decided even that was too much. Now I allow it one time on Super Bowl Sunday and that is it.

People quit smoking and drinking all the time. It can be done.

7. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My view on vegan dishes at the lower/middle end of the buffet spectrum is incredibly low. I have to assume a large portion of the expenses are going into meats/seafood. You don't go buy amazing produce and terrible quality meats.

While I wouldn't, I could see enjoying just the vegan dishes at Bellagio and Wynn buffets. I'm assuming the new Caesars buffet as well, but never been there. Same with Aria.

I still feel that there are so many options in Vegas that if you are already spending $40-$50 on a buffet, you have so many other options to get great dishes. If you are truly a buffet person though, I still think you would enjoy the higher end ones since they take more care with all ingrediants.

8. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are planning on sticking to that diet than it sounds like the buffet is gonna be a total waste of money for you.
    On the flip side, it is not horrible to have a "cheat meal" if you are dieting, so long as you know that it is not going to revert to eating that way all the time. It is a treat to yourself however often you would like to do it (once a week, once a month, etc).
    Like others have mentioned you may go into the buffet and realize that your pallet and appetite has completely changed and you dont want to eat as much, or many of the options there.... or that all the meat or sheer quantity of food will not agree with you anymore.

9. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you plan to splurge on meats in Vegas, it's probably a good idea to consume small amounts of meat when you are home as well. After a few months without meat the human digestive system can "forget" how to deal with it, and teaching it again can be an unpleasant experience. Whether or not splurging on food in Vegas makes sense would depend on your reasons for dieting in the first place.

10. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't go to Las Vegas buffets either. Partially, that's due to diet concerns. The rest of it is due to the issues of long lines, waits, etc.

Bill

11. eviliciouz

eviliciouz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I salute you, my friend.

I tried Vegan diet last year lasted for 6 months. In November we took our Vegas trip and I was already a Pescetarian. We went to Cravings for dinner buffet and their salad station is OOHHHHHH soooo delicious. You pick your ingredients and the guy behind the counter will toss it for you. Fresh, crisp, and delicious.

I don't think your buffet days are over, you just need to tweak what you eat there a bit. Also, probably better to go for brunch or lunch rather than dinner since what you will eat (veggies, bread, rice, beans, pastas) will be available during brunch/lunch that way you can save some $$$. Good luck!

12. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes :wink2:

13. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been a vegetarian for 15 years (strict, no fish or “cheat” days) and yet been to Vegas dozens of times during that time. I've found the cheaper buffets to be a better value since I primarily eat the pastas, pizza, salads' deserts, etc..

I like the buffet at the MSS and Rio personally, but I realize they aren't high end. Places like the Wynn are a poor value since you are paying an arm and a leg for the meats.

14. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

i would think a buffet would be the easiest place to resist the meat, because there are many other choices and the meats are of average quality, usually.

even at the bellagio, just last summer, the "kobe top sirloin with - cooked in -" was a tough piece of leather.

for any of the meats, if it is being sold at mass market prices in quantity, it is highly unlikely that it is of the highest quality grades. that does not mean it does not taste good and is not a good value.

15. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chef:Buffets were kind of a novelty when I first started going to LV since there are just so many of them and they were so cheap (excuse me, FRUGAL).
    One of the big draws for me was the salad bar. I'm a salad fan, and most sit down dinners give you this dinky salad in an imitation wooden bowl. the buffets offered salad lovers and opportunity to eat all they wanted and frankly,after my salad fill, I didn't much care what I ate to compliment it. I just turned 66 this month and find that as I get older, I am eating less volume and more vegetables, not because you should....they just taste good. Your tastes change as you get older.
    I could well afford to lose a few pounds but I am more concerned on choosing better foods. In our younger years we often eat around our schedules. I am really not a big fans of diets per se. I have seen friends go from one diet to another. One time I see them and they look thin, then 6 months larger than they were before.....and this contines on a cycle. there are lots of ways to lose weight but unless you change your eating habits for life, the weight will come right back. They say losing it and putting it back on is worse than just being too big ( I don't like the O word). I figure I just am not ready to change what I eat for the rest of my life. I do like to make better choices though and I think we can all do this with a little effort. I figure if I stopped eating all the things I love and eat carrot sticks the rest of my life, it won;'t be much longer.....just seem longer! My last doctor kept telling me I needed to do something about my weight. I finally did, I got a new doctor! Besides, wouldn't it be disappointing if I dies "for no apparent reason" ! lol

Choosing our foods should be at a level we are ok with to make that a lifestyle, and with exercise will not just give us more life but a better quality for the life that we have remaining. The best to my ole frugal friend!

Jimbo338

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.