1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Blackjack Spread to Bankroll Relationship

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by SW, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another question from a blackjack rookie.

I've been playing a 1-5 spread on a bankroll of 20 units. I'm beginning to believe that's just insane. Yesterday, I had a 5 unit bet out and after the cards were dealt, basic strategy called for a double down, which I did. I lost. 10 units of the 26 units I had at the moment gone on one hand. I realized I should be bringing 50+ units, preferably 100 units, to play but 20 units/session is what I feel comfortable with right now. Now I'm fairly comfortable with basic strategy but have not graduated to card counting yet. Bringing $100 to $5 minimum table is what I'm doing. Just guessing, I probably should start playing a 1-3 spread on a bankroll of 20 units.

Yes I'm a blackjack rookie ... and a low baller but ... what would you suggest I do in this situation?

What spread do you play in relationship to your session bankroll?

2. WrongWayWade

WrongWayWade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're really busted out if you lose $100, then restricting your play to $5-$15 will keep you at the table FAR longer.

If I'm playing a $25 game, I'll almost always buy in for $500. But I'm willing to buy more, usually up to $1200 if necessary. I'm spreading from 1-6.

Just a WAG, but if I had a hard $500 limit at a $25 table, I'd probably last for 1 hour about 75% of the time.

I assume in that you are not counting, you are 'spreading' your bets just to keep it interesting. You're aware that you are just raising your average bet, not really helping win more in any way.

3. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two situations

- Hit and Run

Spread 1-6 with a buying of 7-10 units. Example of this would be buyin with $100 and min bet of $15.

- I want to sit and drink

Spread 1-however many winning hands I can get. :) Buy in is ~30-40 units.

I press when I win, so not sure if that is the same with you. A buyin of 50-100 units to me is just overkill.

While losing 10 of 26 units is a bad break and never looks good, but I look at it as the perfect situation. I want my max bet out there when I get the Double down/split opportunities. Most of these cases are positive for me so I want as much money out there as possible. Obviously splitting 8s against a 9/10/A isn't ideal but this shouldn't happen often.

If losing the 10 of 26 is the main reason you would go up to 50 starting units, to me the solution is to allow yourself to rebuy in those cases where you had a few rough double downs. I like putting as little money on the table as I need because I know it is much harder leaving a table when you have chips than nothing.

4. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies guys!

5. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with the other poster(s) -- the answer depends on your goal. If you are a grinder and a card junkie, just flat bet until you get some momentum, and then only press your bets up somewhat conservatively.

If you want to win or bust, then you obviously want to press more aggressively. If losing $100 kind of sucks and ruins your day, I would say don't gamble at all. Otherwise, start with $5 and figure out what you're comfortable with pressing. I've tried to think about a loose idea or system of how I could progress my bets, but it always gets lost in whiskey, conversation, and the flow of the deck/shoe. A lot of what you're going to do is going to be on gut feeling if you're drinking and having fun. If you're stone cold sober, I recommend higher than a $5 table :drunk:

I like the action of the cards, and I enjoy drinking and playing, so I fall somewhere between moderate pressing and grinding. I wanna get some utility out of whatever my buy-in is. For example, I often start at a $15 table just to get my bearings with a $300 buy-in. With patience, I usually can get to where I am betting between 30-50 a hand without busting, and on those sessions I'm known to play for 8-10 hours pretty easily. For whatever reason, it feels like I know pretty quickly whether it's going to be a good session or a bad one, so if it's a bad one, I can bail pretty quickly.

Just like with playing poker, you wanna try to lose the small ones and win the big ones. 3 sessions of losing $100 each is easily smashed by 1 session of winning $1k.

Just remember...there's no shame in rabbit-holing some chips so you don't give it all back. Lock in profit and play again the next day.

Most of all, good luck

6. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I look for $5, 2-deck games... and, based on the count (simple plus/minus...with a side count of aces & 5s), I will spread from $5 (on a very negative count) to as high as $50 on a very positive count.

My base-bet is typically $10.
    It should be noted that I very-rarely get a count that would justify a $50 bet.
    Far more typical is a $15, $20 or $25 bet. If I'm lucky, I may get two of those per deck.
    The majority of my bets are $10.
    I always buy in with $100, but I'm always prepared to buy in for another $100 if needed... (unless I'm already bangin' my daily-budget ceiling).

Yes, certain situations can get you 'all-in' in a hurry... I once had $20 bet, got 8-8 against a dealer 5. Split for another 8, and two hits later, ended up with 4 of 'em.
    This was at a DAS table, and - you guessed it - I drew a 2 on one of them.
    So, in one hand, I had $100 at risk...which included part of my 2nd $100 buy-in.

Yes, the dealer could have made a hand...but she didn't.
    If she had, I would have continued to play on what was left of my 2nd $100.

But it sure is nice to go from being down $20 to being up $80

Annual Spring Trip!
  7. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I need to start using "Search" more often. I found cases where you guys are answering the same questions over and over again. Thanks for your replies and your patience!

8. JDinTN

JDinTN MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your entire bankroll is 20 units you're going to have to play almost all flat bets if you can't find a lower limit -- that is if you hope to make your bankroll last for a trip. Most people probably bring bankrolls of 50-100 units at least for a trip. Your buy-in could be 10-20 units -- doesn't really matter that's just personal preference. But bankroll isn't the same as your buy-in.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.