1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NFL bye week- Yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Joe, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not that any of our opinions matter but what do you think.

Is it better to get the bye week and as the conventional wisdom goes, give your players an extra week to rest and heal up?

Or, play every week during the playoffs and keep the rhythm and momentum going?

As an example, in 2010 Packers had to play every week on the road in the playoffs and won the SB.

Last year, they go 15-1, get the week off and just stunk up the playoff game.

And this doesn't matter either, but I am betting large on the Pack on the Money Line for the game against the 49ers. It was 150 when I made it, now it's dropped to 125, at least on my on-line site.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Packer Backer

Packer Backer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems Momentum into the Playoffs is Key in the NFL these days. 5 of the last 7 Super Bowl winners have played in the wild card weekend round.
    Had the Packers beat the Vikings on the last game of the season and gotten the bye week, Chicago would have played at SF in the wild card week and most likely SF would be going to Lambeau for this game. Momentum is the key and i think the Packers have it!

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think if you asked the players/coaches, they'd take the bye every time, but the fans and networks would probably like to see things move along.

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The answer is likely that it depends, but I wouldn't say no to a bye.

The NFC results specifically the last few years seem to argue against byes. But looking deeper, that isn't really a question of byes so much as regular season records not reflecting who the best teams were.

Green Bay didn't lose because they had a bye. They lost because after the bye they played a Giants team that did not find themselves until December. Give the Giants the bye and the Packers the 6 seed last year, and IMO the game ends the same way.

And speaking as a niners fan, with one of our best guys working to come back from injury, I'm really glad we weren't playing last week, no matter what happens this week.

5. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think it matters.

The NFL is a sport where the underdog actually wins a fair amount of games in the playoffs. As someone mentioned above, this has more to do with the seeds just not being correct.

I don't see how a week of rest can be a bad thing. If they go into the game flat, that is mental and nothing to do with getting a week off.

6. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The past 2 Super Bowl winners were Wild Card teams that needed weird scenarios just to get in to the playoffs and got them and then had huge momentum in the playoffs.

Two years ago the Packers needed the Giants to beat the Eagles (I think???). Last year the Giants needed a scenario, which I can't even remember now and they got it as well. (Cowboys loss?? Can't remember for the life of me)

This will be the AFC's year, regardless of who makes it for the NFC. I just think all the NFC teams still in the playoffs are really iffy right now. Ravens looked tough today, but the Pats will get them next week in NE. BTW-

Patriots over Seahawks.

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course if you are one of the leagues favorites like the pats or the packers then you already get a schedule that is so easy that every week is like a bye week so for them it really should not matter. They only have to actually win 2 games to get to the superbowl against decent competition and dont seem to be able to get that done. At least that seems to be the case with the packers tonight.

I do however think it is a bit of a curse to have one if you are one of the leagues non favored teams like the falcons, it gives you time for doubts to come into your mind. Once you are back on your heels its too late to recovery.

Momentum of course counts for alot. look at the ravens today. They will be a handful next week too knowing they are one game away from the superbowl. The league must be wringing their hands thinking that they might go to the superbowl.

They didnt plan on this happening. How is ray lewis going to sell pepsi and subway sandwiches with his bad attitude and filthy jersey? you mean the superbowl might actually be a football game instead of a platform to push beyonce, budweiser, old man rock and roll and the leagues favorite teams?

say it aint so.

8. Steelers7

Steelers7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At this time of year eveybody is banged up to some degree. A bye week now may benefit in a little rest and a little "healing" but personally, I think a bye week kills momentum. How many teams win after their bye during the regular season though? Now you could say a team coming off a first round bye isn't as sharp as they were when the regular season ended, but you also have to consider that some of those four teams may have been "resting" their players the final week of the season knowing they had the bye wrapped up. In that case, when they look rusty, it could be due to them basically taking 2 weeks off. That is when I think the bye gets them. But when you have nothing to play for as far as seeding in the playoffs, why risk injury?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.