1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

ESPN Overreaction?

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by smartone, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Am I the only one who thinks ESPN is overreacting to the comments made, primarily by announcer Brent Musburger, about how beautiful Alabama's QB, AJ McCarron girlfriend and his mother are? (Even Herbstreit got in a nice comment about them as well)

Have we really gotten to the point where remarking that a woman is beautiful is now apology territory?

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think you need to apologize for calling a woman beautiful.

Making a beautiful woman the focus of minutes of your commentary about the game isn't necessarily appropriate though. And going on about how QBs get all the girls, and how Alabama kids should all be practicing to be QBs so they can get a girl that looks like that probably wasn't the best approach.

Not entirely his fault. Im sure the booth was pushing to show her, and trying to give them something to talk about, because the game was already starting to look non-competitive, and they were trying to keep viewers.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't seen the ESPN comments but I did watch the game. First comment-no problem 2nd-ok but after that it started to sound like a dirty old man. Now I'll have to Google what ESPN is saying.

The reality is that he was just trying to keep interest in the broadcast and I understand that, but...

I'm not a prude by any means and TV has to do what it can to keep people glued to their sets and with a mainly male audience, nothing like a beautiful woman to do that.

4. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ESPN overreacted as always..Ever since the episode with Erin Andrews I'm sure most networks are covering their tushes just in case..I saw nothing wrong with what he said,,:beer:

5. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was an overreaction. It's not like he said anything vulgar or derogatory. Even Katherine Webb herself said there was no need for an apology.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went and saw the comments and yes, it is an overreaction on the part of ESPN.

Probably a good thing her phone battery died on the way into the game or she would have been on it the entire game with people calling and tweeting.

7. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a comical to me. ESPN apologized because Brent Musburger admired the beauty of a beauty queen? She is a beauty pageant winner for pete's sake. She enters contests to have her beauty judged by strangers.... am I missing something here?

Complete overreaction by ESPN, as always. What the hell did ESPN expect him to say? Their producers were the ones that kept showing her!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  8. hanoscf

hanoscf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it was fine to comment on how beautiful she is but I agree with Joe - after a while Musberger started to sound like a dirty old man.

9. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto Vegas or Bust!!

10. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty soon we will need to apologize for breathing.... I'm sorry I took some of your air. Goodness knows that looking will be next - someone looked at my outfit! I feel violated. The majority of America harassed her when the camera zoomed in..... I know I did.

11. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This all happens because we give every one a trophy.

The football player is supposed to have the prettiest girlfreind. Thats why everyone wants to be like him.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apologize for that? Of course not. He is what he is, a blathering idiot. What ESPN needs to apologize for is still putting him in the booth. He can't keep up. He's trite. He's a fool.

13. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no clue what anyone sees in him a booth announcer.

If I want to watch a game he is announcing I turn down the volume and turn on the radio broadcast.

Although, he was great in the 70s and 80s on CBS's pregame show The NFL Today.

What he said about Katherine Webb was inappropriate and he should apologize.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WVdcxILXTbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ESPN should apologize to Brent Musburger.

I just watched Season 5 of Californication. I wanna live in that world, not the ESPN world.

16. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am pretty sure I was at that Cowboys game. I'm a little insulted Brent didn't mention what a cute 5 year old I was.

17. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, just kind of creepy and awkward.

18. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree, Nevyn. It wasn't vulgar, but as he rambled on and on, it starting sounding creepy/pervy and kinda gross. Maybe it's time for Brent to hang up the microphone and retire.

19. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would have been ok to say.

Perfectly fine.

I thought he was going to run to the bathroom on a commercial break and take care of business.

20. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the funny thing about the whole situation was the fact that the ESPN cameras showed her numerous times, if they didnt want the attention put on her like that, then why keep showing her. The world has just gotten way to sympathetic to nonsense if you ask me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.