1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Annual Cost Cutting - internet connection

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Everyone,

Every January, I evaluate my spending and look for ways to cut costs that will not impair my standard of living much (read: finding more funds for my Vegas travel!).

This year, my ATT Laptop USB account is on the chopping block. My son set up an XFinity wireless network at my condo, so I don't need the ATT USB to connect to the internet anymore, at least while I am at home. I do travel 4-6 times a year and need some internet connection while doing so. So I was thinking of getting a "pay as you go" type internet connection.

My questions: does anyone here use this type service? which carriers offer this type service? which company gets good reviews? what has been your experience with this type service?

Thanks!

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you need mobile internet when you travel? In your situation, I might just pay for the internet in my hotel room. But I don't know the specifics of your travel situation & internet needs.....

(my mom is a consultant and she has a Verizon mifi so she can use her laptop when she's in airports....She's in the airport a lot:rolleyes2:)

3. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There may be others, but the only one I know of that isn't a high monthly contract is ting.com. You still need to pay for the device but then it is very reasonably rates and not $30+/month.

Depending on how much you travel though just getting service through the hotel might still end up being better unless you need it truly mobile. I'm not sure if 4-6 times a year would be worth it to me. But I also don't know if these are week long trips where you must be connected at all times.

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you have AT&T cellular service? I'm not sure about AT&T, but Sprint allows users to turn on/off tethering service pretty simply. Using this service a couple of days will only cost you a prorated amount from the monthly rate (coworker says this amounts to about $1/day)

5. RonDiaz

RonDiaz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you travel in areas where there is Sprint coverage, Virgin Mobile is probably your best bet

6. CenterfieldNine

CenterfieldNine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use the Internet on the go product from Walmart... If you use the "go big" package with the $45 card you can get up and running for about $140. Athen about once every 6 months I need a new card.

If you are just doing email and web and forum browsing it can't be beat... But for videos or downloads or stuff like that it would be brutal. Just throwing it out there but for me it is a great pick because I have my own videos and such on the road. And best of all no contract!

But like I said if you will be using it heavily you may not want this. Since it will be used infrequently though this is exactly my situation and it works great. Also the first thing I have bought from wal mart in maybe 5 years but I did my homework and this was the best pick for me.

Uses sprints network.

Good luck!

7. CenterfieldNine

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For example I used 3mb just now checking and writing emails and checking the forum, writing and submitting this response. But I am a low low consumption user when using it. On purpose of course!

But the 4096mb you get for 45 bucks never expires and no contracts. Then when you do make it through its 45 more bucks. You just have to use the device once a year, for it to stay active. Hasn't been a problem for me yet :p

8. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to everyone for the information. My trips can last from 4 days to 9 days each. Connecting through the hotel is a good idea, but I think I'd want the option of being able to connect any time I am traveling (airports, etc.).

I'm assuming there is an option like one of those pay as you go phones where you buy the device and just buy minutes when I need them. Off to google!

Thanks again!

9. RonDiaz

RonDiaz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had never heard of the Internet on the Go product, even us tech guys miss some things, sounds like a block type account that is very interesting and desirable for me I am going to check it out, thanks Centerfield

10. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, thanks, Centerfield! Will check this out myself. I am a general 'net user when I travel. I browse, check/answer emails, etc. No downloading or any heavy stuff. So your way may be the best best.

Thanks!

11. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes! This is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks!

12. CenterfieldNine

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happy to help... And I'm glad it fits your needs too, maybe even both of you! Glad my research was worth the two hours I spent clicking around all over :p

It's a fairly sweet setup honestly and you'll be amazed how small it is. Even comes with a little sleeve and has a four hour battery. And I get four hours from it. When I first get something I always condition the battery and charged it up then planned to wear it down.

I got tired of waiting! I hope you guys aren't disappointed.

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just checked this out on Walmart's website, the mobile hotspot device is now $80 and for $45, you can get 4 GB that don't expire. This is a great product for traveling, now I won't have to pull into a McDonald's for a Spicy Chicken, Iced Tea (Arnold Palmer style), and free wifi.

14. CenterfieldNine

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does Walmart do commissions? Use reference code "waltons, send centerfieldnine money" on checkout :p

I feel guilty causing more money to be spent at that despicable store. But then again it's so cheap because they abuse their economy of scale! Yay!

Anyhow, that's exactly what I did $80 plus $45 plus tax and shipping. Enjoy it! It works great in my area which has great sprint coverage.

15. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got tired of surfing the web on my iPhone so I switched my data plan to the Mobile Share Data plan with AT&T.
    That way I can turn my iPhone into a Mobile Hotspot (wireless router) and use my iPad (or any device) wirelessly as normal.
    Only difference is I'm connecting to my iPhone instead of a typical wireless router. It works good but plans can get expensive.
    I went with the 4GB Data plan. I sit at my local coffee shop and surf the web with my iPad for about an hour every morning
    and after 30 days of surfing I used 1.8 GB of data. It's not something you could sit and do all day long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.