1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown secrets, bargains, and cool stuff

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by bull1029, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bull1029

bull1029 Mr. Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Downtown vets:

We all love DT, and have visited countless times. So, what are your favorite "secret" or "deals" or just something you find charming?

I realize that by sharing it, your "secret" will be out, but I'd love to hear it. I've learned SO much about the city I love most from reading this board.

Some of my faves:

1. (Learned on VMB): If you cut through the back of Binion's, and take a left on that street, only about a block away is the east entrance to the Cal. Then you can either play there, or go up the escalator and over the walkway to MSS. Cuts off blocks going the other way.

2. The 4Q has the best drink service. All the staff there are friendly, and very generous with the cocktails, especially when playing at the bar.

3. The Vue Bar upstairs at the D is the best spot to sit and recupe for a moment, and enjoy the light show.

4. Upgrades are way easier to get downtown. I usually offer a tip, and have never been turned down for a suite (four times running).

5. Lovo Cigars--now in Neonopolis. Quality smoke for a good price, unlike that place in Binion's, outside of Benny's Bullpen.

6. Benny's Bullpen--Great spot for a snack or a drink. Great prices and generous portions.

7. Mob Museum--awesome spot.

I'm dying to hear what you all have!

2. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. Two-for-1 meals at Magnolia's Veranda inside Four Queens on your birthday month. Voucher obtained at the Player's Club window.

2. Shortcut to south tower of Plaza by using Rush Tower exit of Golden Nugget. Use door in front of Chart House restaurant, turn right, cross the street, and enter by Pop Up Pizza.

3. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can do even better.

If you go to the very back on the old Mint side (the west side) where the poker room is, keep going back back back... past all the empty poker tables...

You can get right to the intersection that is kitty-corner from the Cal.

Outside walking is about 35 feet, helpful in summer weather.

Don't forget to say hi and give some change to the rasta bicycle guy on the corner.

4. Royal Flusher

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is also a super-secret cut through from one side of Binions to the other... about half-way back, by the sports book.

It goes by the garbage dumpsters, so you can rake in some pretty amazing smells for your memory.

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easily one of the best bargains in the entire Las Vegas area, not just downtown are the ElCo Cabana Suites. Great rooms, great prices, and the place is very secure and quiet. Love the place.

6. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1) The El Cortez has an excellent free Elvis impersonator show Wednesday, Fridays & Saturdays 6pm-10pm at their parlor bar.

2) Not a huge secret, but Le Thai serves awesome cheap eats.

3) I echo the positive Mob Museum comments.

4) The (not so) sexy dealers at the gold spike. They're almost all hilarious.

5) Pop-up pizza deserves more love.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The antique pool table collection on the second floor of Main Street Station.

To get there take the elevator next to security (east wall opposite the cashier) to the 2nd floor.

A guard may or may not ride up with you, but you do not need to ask permission.

8. Royal Flusher

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay here's one.

There's a secret second set of washrooms at the Four Queen's.

So who said these secrets had to be particularly useful??

(It's back by the lobby, past the Avis desk.)

9. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    slightly off topic but...

I thought the El Cortez was a cheap place to stay...what happened? I priced a tower room for May 10 & 11 (Fri & Sat) and it's showing slightly over $200.00. That's more than hotels right in the middle of Fremont.

10. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's more than slightly off-topic. It's totally off-topic. Why not create a new thread?

11. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It doesn't need a whole thread

I was just making a comment...

OK, keeping to the topic at hand...

If two or more of you are going to the Mob Museum, one of you should buy the yearly pass for $25. The other ones with you will get in for the locals rate of $10 each. Regular price of admission is $18 apiece. Come back again within a year and you save even more.

12. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next time you're in the Cal take the exit by the craps tables and the Cal club, walk across the street and enter the back of the Vegas Club.

Then start walking towards the Fremont Canopy and marvel at how dark, empty, spooky, run down, and creepy this back area is. Take a deep breath and fill your lungs with the musky, dank, air that years of neglect has created.

I would imagine not too many people has seen this back area, for if you enter Vegas Club from the Fremont Canopy area you will probably come across the beginning of this area and avoid it altogether. Just empty and creepy.

I figure this falls under the "secret" category, lol! Maybe something you might want to do if you get kinda bored and wanna do something different....:evillaugh

13. kiwiboy1

kiwiboy1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best mailed offers in all of Vegas are at the 4Q. I also agree with the drink service awesome!
    Peeing on the Berlin wall in MSS (ok, not so secret but still great!)
    Easy Plaza comps provide no resort fee PLUS free internet and free workout room
    Easiest parking downtown is the lot by the MSS. Park right up by the fence and it's only 20 feet to the MSS. Cost $3 refundable at the MSS cashier.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No peeing on the wall anymore, they covered it with plexiglass. I suppose a symbolic pee, but it no longer touches the real wall, so you might as well stay in the confines of the urinal walls and keep the rest of our shoes dry!:poke:

15. AndyAkeko

AndyAkeko Time magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, there are these guys at the Plaza:

[youtube]CiLr0pqBaUQ[/youtube]

Of course you can argue that any show at the Plaza remains a secret.

16. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Mob Bar features some tasty Italian bites for five to nine dollars. On the walk over stop in and see the original downtown Beef Jerky Store--much better than the imitators.

My El Cor secret: the second floor guest rooms can be accessed via the spiral staircase behind the lobby bar.

17. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Downtown Secrets

East Fremont - the bars, restaurants, coffee shops between the canopy and ElCo. My favorite bar is the Griffin. Warm and friendly, but I go early (by Vegas standards).

When I'm there in a couple of weeks I also mean to check out a couple of places east and south of ElCo - supposedly a good barbecue place and a nice local breakfast spot.

Walking to the outlet mall, and over to the Smith Center - it's a safe and short (under a mile) walk to the outlet mall from the Plaza. The Smith Center is a bit of a walk to the north of it, but is beautiful and has nice grounds. Still trying to be there when I can get a tour, but they are only once or twice a week.

The WAX bus from the airport to downtown - $2 and 30 minutes to/from "Level 0". Will also get you to/from the south end of the strip (Tropicana or NYNY, depending on our direction of travel).

The jail and women's prison between the Golden Nugget and the Transit Center. Stand outside and listen to the hooting and hollering going on inside. You may even see someone come out the barely-marked Release Door.

18. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    -El Cortez single deck black jack is the best game in town in regards to lowest house edge.

-Golden Gate dancing dealers start at 6pm every day. They will go until 4 am or so. The end time is not cut in stone like the start time.

-You can still get Golden Gate's shrimp cocktail without having to sit down in Dupar's. Order at the cashier and sit at one of the table right there.

19. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Slight exaggeration with the "only 20 feet". It's more than that from curb-to-curb.

20. squidward

squidward Probationary Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really a secret, but it is a bargain, and some may say even cool!

DJ Lady GoGo! Fremont main stage between GG and LVC in the evinings!

She is a very nice young lady in person... and if you get drunk and dance with the street critters she will laugh with you (or maybe at you?)

Not that I have ever done this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.