1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any Cruise veterans out there?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Frankr163, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are leaving next week for a Carribean Cruise.
    This is our first time cruising, so any do's and/or dont's would be appreciated.
    This is the prize we won from the Escape to Rewards game, so I'm looking forward to having a great time courtesy of CET.
    Thanks

2. earth-3

earth-3 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out a site called "Cruise Critics". There is more information on it than you want to know. My wife and I joined the site after our second cruise. Nothing I could say, would add to what is already there.

3. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You leave next week and are just asking now?????

If you have plenty of leisure time between then and now, head over to cruise critic and read the forums over there. Tons of helpful info and cruises sorted by destination/port. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

The best piece of advice would be to bring a pack or 2 of those disinfecting wipes and wipe down your whole room, phone, tv remote, door handles, etc etc.

Pack your own liquor if you are frugal and don't mind making drinks in your cabin. It's hard to 'smuggle' liquor back to your room once you are out and about the Caribbean. Bring some good waterproof sunscreen and use the heck out of it while on the beaches.

If you love to eat all the yummy food on board, then make sure you bring some larger clothes to fit into for later on in the trip. Every night with 4 course meals, pizza by the pool, free ice cream.......AGHHH! I gain a pound every day while cruising!

I wish you had more time, there is so much info to be absorbed before you go.

Most of all, have fun and make some new friends.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would stick to craps/bj/roulette as the other games have worse odds than on land. The carny bets on craps are also worse. The one thing I really loved was the old lady coin dropper games. Super cheap and i thought super fun!

I did a TR for my NCL/Total Rewards cruise, might have some tips buried in there. The pic links are dead, but the text will at least tell you how another gambler viewed the whole thing....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1304374

Have a great cruise and don't be afraid to do a TR here!:beer:

5. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trying to remember some thngs from when I worked on cruise line for a blissful 8 weeks in Tahiti.

Not sure what cruise line you are on but most have online rewards club (might as well join up, it's free) and more importantly you can pre check in online. Saves some hassle when getting there. Also, you can usually sign up in advance for land excursions and this is advisable for some of the more popular ones. If you are a pop/soda drinker, many also offer a all you can drink for entire cruise, use to be about $20, I found it worth it just for the convenience.

You mentioned you won this trip, do you know if it includes gratuities? Most lines automatically add a basic gratuity for your porter, cabin attendant. Can be like $10 or more a day.

Relax, this being your first time, you will find yourself in some unfamiliar situations but don't sweat it. (don't giggle during the mandatory by law muster drill)

Have fun!

6. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make sure you have travel insurance.

Even though the cruise is free there are things that can happen,hopefully not to you but you need to be covered.

7. Vegas Twosome

Vegas Twosome Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are not big "cruisers". However, it is a great way to see a lot of places in a very short time, albeit for a very short time. Which is sometimes good. Afterwards we decide where we want to revisit and fly to that destination. Most important to us is to enjoy and explore when we are off the boat. We don't do the tourist things, i.e. jet boats, etc. We have those at home. Our first cruise about 20 years ago has lead us back to our "choice of favorites" every year since. And we still cruise seeking more places to enjoy.

8. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thumbs up on the CruiseCritic.com suggestions.

If you sign up, you can go into the "Roll Call" forums where specific ships/sail dates are discussed. Asking questions there, of fellow cruisers who will be on the same voyage, is much more productive than asking questions in the open forums.

Enjoy your cruise.

Bill

9. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mistakes first time cruisers make

People worry about getting sea sick. Just take your motion sickness pills with you and a pill one at bed time for just the first night and the last night.

Don't overpack because you will not use all of your clothes. People don't dress up during the day. Most people dress up in Church clothes for dinner.
    Some ships have washing machines where you can wash and iron your clothes.
    I have been a member of Cruise critic.com and cruise-addict.com for many years.
    Go to their ROLL CALL to join up with the people who will be on your cruise.

There is so much advise to give you. Lucy

10. Konzul

Konzul Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats to that win Frank and hopefully you will enjoy the cruise. I have only been on one cruise many years ago on a MCL ship where for most of the time I was the only person gambling.

Which port are you leaving from? I actually leave Sunday from New Orleans for a week to the Caribbean on the NCL Norwegian Star.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.