1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Activities near the Luxor

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by libinatorsmom, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libinatorsmom

libinatorsmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going to the Luxor and need some near by activities that don't cost a lot or better yet free :) need things to do while hubby is at a conference... Thanks

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I guess that all depends on your definition of cheap. The eaister answer is just walk the strip or through the resorts and enjoy the themes, architecture and people watching. The better free attractions are farther up the street (e.g., Bellagio fountains, Venetian gondolas, etc)

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  3. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get a bus pass and don't be afraid to use it. The bus starts right outside Mandalay, so its usually pretty empty. The bus goes up and down the strip (can take you to the free attractions UKFanatic mentioned without walking your legs off) and is safe, even for solo females. I personally wouldn't ride the bus late at night alone (I have the unfortunate luck of attracting unsavory characters on public transit) , but during the day...no big deal.

4. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would that be the "drunk bus" you and Flusher referred to last October :poke:

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  5. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awww....you really were listening to me and not just staring at my...shoes. :Þ

Yes, I don't recommend the drunk bus for solo females. Especially newbie solo females. I have no doubt many solo women have ridden that bus with nary a problem, but I prefer to urge caution to our new friend.

6. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not free, but Luxor has the Bodies exhibit and Titantic exhibits. Full price is around $30 pp but they always sell tix at the 1/2 price booths. Closest one to Luxor would be just north of the MGM Grand on the sidewalk. There's actually 2 booths within a block of each other so if the one on the sidewalk is busy, try the one just a few steps north, inside the little mall (you can still see it from the sidewalk). The booth inside the mall doesn't get nearly as many visitors as the booth on the sidewalk. There was a lineup of about 50 people at that one and I just kept walking to the other one and was second in line. But if you've got the time and energy to walk up to the MGM, then you could visit both of those exhibits for $30-40 total.

You could also walk down to the Welcome to LV sign, south of the Luxor. I haven't walked it myself so not sure how long it is. I'd imagine 15-20 minutes each way.

There's also some shopping at the Mandalay Place shops. Not a lot of shops but you could spend an hour there and it's attached to Luxor. There's a Peter Lik photo/art gallery in there and I can easily spend an hour just looking at all the pictures. Try to have a Sales Consultant show you the lighting in the side rooms where they can adjust the lighting.

7. dalej42

dalej42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like the aquarium at Mandalay Bay. If you gamble at all, just charge the ticket to your room and you should have enough points to take care of it.

8. libinatorsmom

libinatorsmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the hints :) I plan on going down to the Fountains and stuff one day! Thanks for the help

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Luxor you have LOTS of walking available, without even going outside.

Mandalay Bay and Excaliber are connected. NYNY is partly outside but right across the street. Then MGM across the street from there.

10. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also like doing things on my own that I know the group/spouse wouldn't like doing themselves. For me, its outlet shopping. If I can get away for one afternoon and go to the outlet malls, I'll do that than pick any one thing to see on the strip, just cause I know I'll be back on the strip with the group later on. So not a free activity, but something to look at. I'm excited now that I see both north and south outlet malls are run as Premium Outlets. I've always gone only to the North location but now after looking at the store directories for both, I want to visit the South one too.

11. 83trekker

83trekker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard the North Mall has way better deals then the south one, so i have heard.

12. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, that logo store is on my list to pick up souvenirs too! Sounds like a cheap place to pick up some trinkets. Hope its not just a temporary thing and sticks around until at least my next trip.

14. libinatorsmom

libinatorsmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :nworthy:
    Where are the best outlets... are they walkable... my Sister in Law said there was a great Couch Outlet but didnt tell me where it is - :) But I would love to do some bargin shopping :) :nworthy:

15. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. libinatorsmom

libinatorsmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  17. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If both locations have Coach stores and that's your primary target, I'd pick the South outlets. Seems much closer to Luxor than the North mall. My first trip, I stayed at Luxor and cabbed it to the North location. It was about a $25 cab ride each way. The South location should be cheaper.

I had always heard the North mall was better as well, but the South location wasn't run under Premium Outlets back then. More important is to take a look at the store directory for each location to see which one best suits your tastes.

18. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The north is definitely better than the south, even both being Premium Outlets now. If you can catch the WAX bus or Centennial Express, they will both drop you off at the North Mall, much cheaper than a cab ride. I am not sure exactly on South strip if either gets close to the Luxor, but I know forsure the CentEx stops just outside Treasure Island. There are machines there to buy your bus pass as well.

19. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  20. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From the Luxor a cab to the South outlet mall is less than $15.. I can't remember the exact figure as we generally give a cab driver $20 each way.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.