1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Allegiant Buying Airbus A320's

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by SH0CK, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This comes on the heels of their purchases of A319 aircraft. I look for the seat configuration to be change as the Iberia planes currently have 180 seats on those planes with 18 of those seats being in business class. Once they remove the recline in all of the seats, I'd look for them to jump up to around 200+ seats per plane.

In the article, it says they won't be getting rid of any MD-80 planes, but would vary utilization. I wouldn't be surprised if they use the MD-80's for short flights and the A320s for longer flights for the improved fuel economy. I wouldn't mind them adding the direct flight back again to Vegas from Knoxville on one of these...

2. Chuckberry1

Chuckberry1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel the same. Allegiant out of St Petersburg/Clearwater Airport once had a direct flight to Vegas. It's 2 miles from my house. Let's get those new planes pointed west.

3. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't get on an MD-80.

Those things are dinosaurs.

Whenever I book a plane flight, I check to see the manufacturer and model.

Contrary to public opinion, Airbus planes are the safest.

4. BlackjackPlayer

BlackjackPlayer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love MD-80s. They actually get you there a little faster than the Airbus planes. All commercial planes are safe.

When is the last time a MD-80 crashed? I can think of more issues with Boeing and Airbus planes

5. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For future reference, which planes are the worst? I was just on an A319 to get home for Christmas and I was quite surprised at how nice it was. Seems like the interior was just refreshed so it seemed brand new even though they've been around for quite a while.

Edit to note that I did not fly on an Allegiant A319 so I'm not saying those interiors have been refreshed.

6. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although the crash rates are minuscule, statistically the fatal event crash rate of MD-80s is 2.6 times higher than the A320.

Although all planes are meticulously maintained, my mind just reasons that a newer model plane would be less likely to crash.

The Concord was off the charts.

http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm

Here are fatal events by airline.

http://www.airsafe.com/airline.htm

I find it interesting that US Airways has one of the lower rates. My experience and from experiences my friends have had is that they are always having delays due to mechanical problems with their planes. It might me a maintenance issue. I guess it is better they don't get off the ground.

For anyone concerned about being involved in a plane crash the most important thing to do is have as few stopovers as possible.
    Over 82% of crashes occur during takeoff and landing.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  7. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MD80s were produced through 1999, the A320 family went into production in 1988. So would you feel more safe on a 1999 built MD80, than on a say 1992 built A320?

8. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would feel safer in the A320.

The A320 is a newer design and the fact that based on the data, the fatal event rate is lower than the MD-80.

There are more important things to be worried about when there is concern about being involved in a plane crash.

I believe also that the airline itself is important. A lot of crashes are due to pilot error. Look what Chesley Sullinger did with the US Airways plane. Not every pilot could do that. Airlines train their pilots differently.

Flying nonstop would also reduce risk.

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I read somewhere that there are about 5,000 Airbus 320 planes flying, can't say that for the MD80. This is all about fuel economy, the newer aircraft will burn less fuel, so there will always be trade ins for smaller carriers.

The market for single aisle jets in the next 20 years is estimated to be $2 trillion due to growth of emerging markets, specifically the middle class in Asia, and because of better fuel economy which will reduce operating costs. This will be divided up mainly by Boeing and Airbus, but Embrarer, Bombardier, Sukoi and CAC (China) will also have a new plane for sale if you can't wait for the big boys.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.