1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas Hotel Safes

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Backagain1, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A friend told me that hotel safes have a default code where anybody in a hotel can get into your safe. I never heard of such a thing, so do you use your hotel safe and do you think it is safe?

2. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard they can be broken into but I think it's better than leaving your valuables out. I use them all the time.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a thread on here about that not too long ago... I don't believe all brands of safes were a part of it. I don't keep anything super valuable with me when in Vegas, but I do put my IPad, wallet (I carry a smaller wallet when gambling) and a few other things in there and never think twice about it. There's lots of stories about Vegas hotel room thefts... while I don't doubt they do happen on occasion, I personally think half of them are made-up and the other 30% heavily embellished.

4. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course the hotel has the ability to get in the safes if they need to. We found the safe locked when we were at Paris a couple of years ago. We called the desk and they sent up the technician who was with a suit. The suit send out some kind of message on his tablet after the safe was opened. I am guessing that it verified that it was a legal entry and he was there to verify it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Similar story arriving at the Orleans in October. Safe was locked. Called down to the desk and security called back up to be sure I was there. Came in with an earpiece and a "dangling" male plug of some sort....he went to the safe and in 30 seconds or so had it open. He then asked if I was sure I knew how to use the safe correctly......I assured him I did and it made me wonder if someone messed with it prior to leaving and exceeded the number of attempts to open? or somesuch.....anyway, yes it can be opened (how could it not be....attrition would eventually have all the safes locked up without a clue as how to open) Good luck!

6. mganut

mganut Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have used the safe in our room at the Paris and have never had an issue. It does stand to reason that security could open them as needed/requested.

7. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They all have default codes to allow the hotel to get into them if needed. But its still much safer than leaving things out in the room. If a criminal breaks in your room, the safe still makes it harder to get your stuff

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  8. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great replies. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.