1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker WEIRD Drunken 4-Aces Win . . . .

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by Pinny Long, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinny Long

Pinny Long VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just stumbled across this pic of one of my wins and noticed something weird. Actually, I noticed TWO weird things on it . . . . and this might explain why I was having such a good night.

[​IMG]

This was taken back in July when I was pulling an all-nighter.
    I didn't think anything of it until just now when I was looking at it.

1. For starters, you'll notice I did a completely idiotic play by keeping the Queen but throwing away the Ace of Spades. What the heck?

2. The draw following it was quite miraculous as it pulled ALL 4 ACES for the second hand. 4 cards drawn and they were ALL aces. Pretty awesome, but wait . . . .

3. How in the heck did I draw an Ace of spades if I discarded the Ace of Spades? When you discard something it should be out of play for good, right?
    -----------

I have a feeling there's something I'm missing and someone's going to point out the obvious which I don't always pick up on, or was this truly a glitch in my favor? Anyone else ever won a "freak" jackpot like this?

2. Pinny Long

Pinny Long VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoa, I see that the same thing happened with my 8 of spades on the top line. I'm seriously confused.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Other than each hand is dealt from a different 52 card deck. not quite sure what you confusion is?

4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Umm…Pinny…you sure you’re sober now? :poke:

5. Pinny Long

Pinny Long VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HAHA!! Maybe not. I guess I never really understood the basic concept of multi-hand.

So if I discard the cards from the first hand, they are still in play for all the other hands?

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Each hand is dealt from a 52 card deck. Throwing away an ace on one of the hands, means nothing on the other two hands. Two more hands, two more decks

7. Pinny Long

Pinny Long VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for clearing that up, Everyone!

8. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe you are thinking that the bottom hand is your “original hand” (before you discarded and drew four new cards). Could this be the source of your confusion? Is that why you think you threw away the Ace (and 8) of Spades? If so…well, there’s your problem. The bottom hand is the same as the other two – it includes the cards you were dealt after discarding just like the other two hands.

9. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as it's a good kind of weird, you're all set. :thumbsup:

10. KingBBInLV

KingBBInLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's what happened in that hand, you held the Q of Diamonds and discarded the other four cards that were dealt. You did not discard an Ace of Spades or an eight of spades on the original hand. You received those cards on the redraw. Once you discard a card from the original 5 cards you can not receive that card again on any of the hands.

Hope that explanation is understandable.

11. KingBBInLV

KingBBInLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is incorrect. Once a card is discarded on the base hand you can not receive it back on any of the other hands on the redraw.

The game is played using 1 52 card deck of cards. Let's say you are playing triple play and on your base hand you are dealt 2c,3c,4c,5c and 10d. You hold the 2c,3c,4c, and 5c and discard the 10d. On the redraw there are 47 cards left in the deck. You can get any of those 47 cards on the 3 hands, you can even get the same card on all 3 hands. You can receive the Ac on the bottom hand, middle hand, and top hand, you can receive any other combination of the 47 cards left in the deck but you can not receive the 10D again since that is already discarded for that play.

Let's say you are dealt 10 of diamonds, 2C,3C, 9H and 7S on the base hand and discard everything. There is ZERO chance you will hit a diamond royal on any of the lines since you have already discarded the 10 of Diamonds on the original draw and you can not receive that card again during the same hand.

12. Pinny Long

Pinny Long VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, no more beer for lunch. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    My mind is NOT working properly today.

I see my confusion now (which should NOT have been confusion to any normal person). All work and no play makes Pinny Long a dumb boy.

13. Pinny Long

Pinny Long VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, you nailed it. I don't know why my brain was stuck on this, but yeah, for some reason this is how I must have been interpreting it. What a 'tard.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are correct! I guess I was drinking the same thing Pinny had for lunch. Brain Fart.:drunk:

15. Guardian

Guardian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ???

"This is incorrect. Once a card is discarded on the base hand you can not receive it back on any of the other hands on the redraw."

Sorry, looks to me like the Ace of spades was discarded and then shows up in the second hand. ???

16. KingBBInLV

KingBBInLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Ace of Spades was never received on the original draw, the picture shows the 4 cards that were received on the redraw.

The picture is the end result AFTER drawing 4 new cards. I explained it above.

17. Pinny Long

Pinny Long VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right on, Dude! Anyone as confused as me is eligible for a free round compliments of Mr. Long.

18. journaljim

journaljim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, King, with all due respect you are incorrect. According to Linda Boyd's excellent VP book for one, each hand is dealt from a 52 card deck. On the screen in the original post, the player saw five cards in his dealt hand and kept the Queen of Diamonds. The dealt hand is going to pull four cards from the remaining 47 for that hand but the other two hands are pulling from what are now 51 card decks because he held the one card, Queen of Diamonds.

Otherwise, there would be no chance of seeing two Aces of Spades as well as the two 8s of Spades on the remaining hands.

Cheers!

19. KingBBInLV

KingBBInLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually with all due respect, you are wrong and I think you are confused. Once you discard cards on THE BOTTOM HAND, YOU CAN NOT RECEIVE THEM BACK AS YOUR REPLACEMENT CARDS ON THE OTHER HANDS.

I posted this above but you didn't seem to get it so I'll explain it again.

Let's say you are playing TRIPLE PLAY VIDEO POKER. You are dealt 5 cards on the bottom line from a 52 card deck.

The cards are 9 clubs, 10 clubs, J clubs, Q clubs, and the K clubs, a straight flush. If you discard the 9 of clubs and hold the other 4 cards there is ZERO CHANCE YOU WILL RECEIVE THE 9 OF CLUBS BACK ON THE REDEAL ON ANY OF THE OTHER LINES.

If you are playing Triple play, 5 play, 50 play, 100 play video poker and in the bottom hand you are let's say dealt an ACE OF SPADES and you DO NOT HOLD THE ACE OF SPADES in the original BASE HAND, you WILL NOT RECEIVE THE ACE OF SPADES ON ANY OF THE OTHER HANDS ABOVE IT. What part of that do you not get?

20. Dpin300

Dpin300 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread is getting interesting! Who is right? Jim might be right saying it says so in his book but maybe his book is wrong...
    I'm going with king. Can't imagine if you discard a card it'll pop up again. Discard 4, stack will only hold 47 left (47 new cards, 4 discarded 1 held = 52)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.