1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Infamous Tunnel Ripoff

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Wistful Walt, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wistful Walt

Wistful Walt Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After many visits to Las Vegas, and with our own car for transportation, my wife and I have finally reached the point where we now use the airways for our winter gambling sojourns from Canada.
    We have made the transition smoothly. We have even made it quite clear when arrivng that we did not want the tunnel diversion for our taxi journey to the Orleans. The fare has worked out to $15-$16, and the cabbies have seemed to be quite content with a $20 payment including tip.
    Very recent postings to the message board have left an impression that taxi fares could be higher from the new Terminal #3. Our January trip coming up will be our first experience with this new terminal.
    So can anyone please pass on some thoughts as to whether we can expect the cab fare could be a bit higher from #3. I gather that in no way should it
    high enough to make the tunnel a viable option when going to the Orleans.

2. sukiran

sukiran Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first time I cabbed from the new terminal I thought I was being ``tunnelled'' without the tunnel. It adds a few dollars to the fare, and if you're going west of the strip (Rio, Palms) the new route seems about the same length of time as the tunnel adventure.

But the new terminal has some nice new food/drink options when you're waiting for the flight back home.

3. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New terminal is alot less crowded security wise as well. I liked flying out of it last week, coming in was another story. Took awhile to figure out how to tell my brother where I was to pick me up

4. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fare from the new terminal was $20.50 w/o tip to CP Flamingo side (VIP Augustus Tower Check-in). I also felt the the fare was high but it went the standard route following the right streets.

5. garyz100

garyz100 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    term 3 is alot futher than people think, went in sept fare to nyny was 18.50 plus add on fee of 2.30

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or is it? From the map it looks very close, with an oval spaghetti type of connection to and from the Paradise/Swenson in and out routes. From the aerial views, the pick-up/drop-off areas of terminals 1 and 3 look about 1/4 of a mile apart.

I wonder if they've figured out some tricks to boost the fares a bit from T3? It looks like they could very easily exit east on Russell to Eastern instead of the more direct route via Swenson. $18 and change sounds expensive to NYNY via Swenson.

7. hanoscf

hanoscf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I assume going from T3 to downtown is going to add at least $10 to the fare?

8. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The highest taxi fare I ever payed in vegas was when I was stuck in traffic due to construction on surface streets.

There was nothing the driver could do to get out of it and they apologized for it.

It seems that its not so much the distance but the time that drives the price up.

9. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Using google maps to plot out the distance from the center of T1 to Swenson and also the center of T3 to Swenson using airport surface streets which the cabs would take - the difference is that T3 is .7 (or 7/10ths) of a mile longer.

10. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting info.

http://www.lvcabs.com/taxi_cab_fares/index.html
    Taxi Cab Fares, Rates and Fees

It is nearly impossible to determine exactly how much a taxi ride will be. Taximeter totals will vary widely depending on time of day, day of week, route taken, or destination.

But we can certainly tell you how the meter in each cab works and how these charges accumulate.

First 1/13th mile $3.30
    Each additional 1/13th mile $.20
    Waiting time per hour $30.00
    McCarran Airport property surcharge $1.80
    Credit \ Debit Card fee $3.00
    Fuel surcharge included in mileage rate $0.20

When you get into a taxicab, the driver will start the taximeter and an initial charge of $3.30 will register. This charge is referred to as the “drop”. If a taxi ride originates at any McCarran Airport property, an additional airport surcharge of $1.80 per trip is added to the taximeter.

After the initial “drop”, the taximeter will assess a fare of $2.60 per mile. That is 20 cents for each 1/13th of a mile traveled. If the taximeter senses that the taxicab is moving at a rate less then 8-12 MPH, the taximeter will assess a charge of 20 cents every 24 seconds, which comes to $30.00 per hour for waiting time. That is why the taximeter continues to accumulate charges even when the taxicab is not moving. Once the taximeter senses the taxicab is moving at a rate of greater than 8-12 MPH the fare calculates on the actual distance traveled.

So 10 minutes of sitting waiting in traffic creeping along will add $5 to your bill.

An accident in front of you or some construction on a surface street can add some money quickly to your bill.

11. dunebug81

dunebug81 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why $25/day for a rental car is the best deal in town.

12. Wistful Walt

Wistful Walt Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My thanks to everyone who commented on my question, and I am also grateful that an offshoot related thread came on the scene to provide more info.
    I gather from sifting through the comments that the fare from Terminal 3 will more than likely be higher than 1 & 2. I note that one comment listed the fare to Caesar's Palace down Flamingo Ave. as $20.50. I would think that the fare down Tropicana Ave. to the Orleans would be about the same.
    Anyhow, my plan will be to instruct the driver to NOT use the tunnel if he wants to, but go down Swenson, make a left turn at Tropicana and go directly down it to the Orleans. I will then assume that the fare will end up at slightly over $20.00 before tip.

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saying "No Tunnel" may p*ss off the driver.

I would suggest verbiage such as "Orleans, take Swenson to Trop."

It gives a strong message that you are familiar with the route and saying "Trop" instead of "Tropicana" throws in some familiar local lingo.

14. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only drivers that might get pissed are the ones who were going to long haul you anyway, no need to put on any false pretense, just say exactly what you want and leave it at that.

15. hanoscf

hanoscf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband is going to Vegas on Saturday for a conference. He is staying at the Excalibur. Which route should he tell the cabbie to take?

16. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really true. When you say "no tunnel", you are basically pre-emptively accusing them of being a thief. If I was an honest driver, that would probably piss me off. Not saying I'd find another way to long haul you, but I would not like it.

I like dmr's approach, tell them exactly the route you want if you know it. That implies nothing about the drivers morals, only that you prefer going that way whether its cheaper or not (and at the same time clues them in that you'll notice if they take you another way).

17. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope to have an answer to your question shortly, I contacted a cabbie in Vegas I know and trust for an answer

18. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not use the shuttle from the Airport to the Orleans? It's listed on their website from $7-$8.50 (plus tip). Shuttles, from what i understand, go directly to your Hotel, hence the shuttle fee. A lot less expensive than taxis even if you don't use the tunnel.

19. Wistful Walt

Wistful Walt Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If there is a shuttle from Airport to the Orleans it is a well kept secret. I don't recall ever seeing one. I can't find it on the website--at the least the one associated with this message board. Can you elaborate, please?

20. PopsOLA

PopsOLA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    all the shuttle websites ive checked say off-strip hotel is 7-8 one way...

http://www.vegas.com/transportation/shuttles.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.